Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pension lump-sum refund from Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Pension lump-sum refund from Canada Reply with quote

I've been back in Canada almost a year and have yet to do the refund due to my confusion around the issue.

I have the document "Application for Korean benefits..." filled out and stamped by the Korean Consulate here in Toronto. But where to I send this to? To the NPS office or to the NPS International Center? And they didn't mention any supporting documentation but the back of the document says it requires a copy of the airline ticket.

So, any assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated.
cmr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give a call to the nearest Korean consulate or embassy? They may be in a better position than anyone else on this board to give you that kind of information.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmr wrote:
Why not give a call to the nearest Korean consulate or embassy? They may be in a better position than anyone else on this board to give you that kind of information.

They told me to call KPS in Korea and sent me a link to the possible address, but on the link it was a different address than they sent. They also didn't seem to know what they were doing considering I had to fill out the form twice (the first time they told me to give it to them and they'd file the paperwork; after three months of not receiving my pension I went in and they said that I was supposed to send the documents to Korea and there was no record of them collecting my documents, etc.)

So, I guess nobody else has been in my situation at all...

I prefer to avoid using my Korean for stuff like this just in case I get something wrong but I'll have to call NPS and get info directly from them.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ashamed to admit it, but I am in the same boat.

I tried contacting them through various web links that I was given.
The information I received was so mixed-up and confusing that I couldn't make head or tail of it. I've come to the conclusion that the only way I will
ever get it sorted out is if I return to Korea in person and do it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
I am ashamed to admit it, but I am in the same boat.

I tried contacting them through various web links that I was given.
The information I received was so mixed-up and confusing that I couldn't make head or tail of it. I've come to the conclusion that the only way I will
ever get it sorted out is if I return to Korea in person and do it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

It's been like ten months since I returned. I'm gonna tackle this problem once and for all this week. I'll keep you posted.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: called NPS International Center (02-2176-8706, for Canada) and gave them my info. They told me to go to Service Canada.

I'll give Service Canada a call tomorrow (which I tried last week but kept getting busy signals).
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Service Canada has nothing to do with the pension refund. The guy on the phone at NPS didn't know what he was talking about.

After filling out the form and getting it (along with a printout of my one-way plane ticket, passport copy, screenshot of bank account with balance and such blurred, and ARC copy) stamped at the Consulate, I mailed it to:

Kukmin-yeonkum Building, 13 Shincheon-no 2Gil(Shincheon-dong), Songpa-gu, Seoul, Korea
and put the Korean address in brackets. (138-725) 서울특별시 송파구 신천로2길 13(신천동)

It's tracked and requires a signature so I'll know exactly when they receive it. I'll update this when I hear back or get new information.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you.

The last information I received, the guy told my I'd have to

send notorized copies of my passport, with the appropriate visa

pages, a copy of my degree (notorized) and a police check?

He seemed to be confusing my situation with someone applying for a

visa. I hope you have better luck.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update:

NPS received my documents but they can't process them because they're not notarized. Consulate here said they were fine before I sent them so I was a bit surprised.

NPS is sending the documents back and have given me two options:

1. Take them to Service Canada and have them do it. She was quite insistent that Service Canada has to be able to do it somehow.

2. Get them notarized and apostilled, then send them back.

I'm going to take them to SC and play the recording of the phone call for them.

I assume I'll probably have to get them notarized and send them back for another $70, haha. I'm just glad that I've got the name and contact info of someone at NPS who seems to know what she's doing and seems to genuinely want to help (she mentioned that it's unfortunate that the Consulate gave me incorrect info and that I spent unnecessary money).

Anyway, I'll keep the few people who are interested in this posted. Expect to hear again in a couple of weeks.
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll get the refund eventually.

I would have figured they would want you to send in all the paperwork they request if you were in Korea - but with it notarized in Canada (or apostilled if in the US), because that is what they want from overseas documents these days.

We can thank the number of ESLers who came over with fake degrees in the ealry 2000s for that...

But I had little problem getting the refund processed while I was in Korea, and I'd expect they'd process it well enough once the notarized documents are submitted.

I don't know why they'd still want you to show an airplane ticket. The whole idea was to prove you were really going to leave Korea and not just get the refund and take a new job while still in Korea. The fact you are in Canada and mailing all the documents from there, with notary, would seem to negate the need for that...

But, its a bureacracy. Things are always going to be smooth in one only if you are a routine case they see everyday. Anytime you move outside the routine, it takes patience and persistance - whether in Korea, Canada, or the US or anywhere.

The only hiccup I had doing it in Korea was that they wouldn't accept just my bank account numbers in the US. They wanted proof I had an account in the US. They told me a receipt of a wire transfer would do.

So, I left the office, went to the nearest branch of my Korean bank, transferred some money, went back and they accepted it all.

It was quick and the woman in Seoul spoke English fine.

She gave me her card and told me to call from the US if I had any trouble.

I would think calling the National Pension Office in Korea would be the best place to call - even if it takes some persistence restating your specific case again and again...

Let us know how it turns out....
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
Another update:

NPS received my documents but they can't process them because they're not notarized. Consulate here said they were fine before I sent them so I was a bit surprised.

NPS is sending the documents back and have given me two options:

1. Take them to Service Canada and have them do it. She was quite insistent that Service Canada has to be able to do it somehow.

2. Get them notarized and apostilled, then send them back.

I'm going to take them to SC and play the recording of the phone call for them.

I assume I'll probably have to get them notarized and send them back for another $70, haha. I'm just glad that I've got the name and contact info of someone at NPS who seems to know what she's doing and seems to genuinely want to help (she mentioned that it's unfortunate that the Consulate gave me incorrect info and that I spent unnecessary money).

Anyway, I'll keep the few people who are interested in this posted. Expect to hear again in a couple of weeks.

Jonpurdy,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience with this. It's very useful info to have!
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We can thank the number of ESLers who came over with fake degrees in the ealry 2000s for that... "

No, thank local politicians who make decisions based on what they read in tabloids.
iggyb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there in the early 2000s, and you started to see a growing number of people with fake degrees and no visas in country - because the industry's bad reputation had scared off too many people.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iggyb wrote:
I was there in the early 2000s, and you started to see a growing number of people with fake degrees and no visas in country - because the industry's bad reputation had scared off too many people.

Yes, I remember that. Many politicians, celebrities, and university professors were caught padding their resumes.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 2012 Update:

I emailed NPS a couple of weeks ago because I still hadn't been contacted about my pension refund. They hadn't received anything from Service Canada so I called them. SC couldn't give me any info but put in a request for status and told me to call back in ten days or so. I got a letter a few days later saying that they received my lump sum refund request and sent it to Korea. I'm not sure if it was related to my phone call or coincidental.

TL;DR: Four months after submitting it to Service Canada they finally sent it to NPS.

I'll post another update when I have more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: