Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeosu Expo - Foreigners Week 7/19-7/28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
absolutmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Yeosu Expo - Foreigners Week 7/19-7/28 Reply with quote

In the FOCUS paper today, there was a short article mentioning that the Yeoso Expo would have a special price of 3,000 won for multicultural families and foreigners from July 19 to July 28.

You have to show a passport or registration card at the ticket office.

More information can be found on the Expo notice website:

http://meng.expo2012.kr/is/md/exhbinfo/getNoticeDetail.html?ispsBbsId=BBS074&ispsNttId=0000047609#

Last edited by absolutmike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Savant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there July 21/22 and I paid 10,000 for each day.

The 10,000 was supposed to be for foreigners who came in groups of 10 or more but I guessed they struggled to attract many foreigners because I didn't really see that many during my 2 days at the Expo.
absolutmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Expo Reply with quote

I was thinking of going this week.

What was worth seeing?

What would you recommend people avoid?

How easy was it from the train station to the expo site? Did you easily find a motel/hotel with the crowds?
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Expo Reply with quote

absolutmike wrote:

What was worth seeing?

How easy was it from the train station to the expo site? Did you easily find a motel/hotel with the crowds?

I just went and I thought it was the biggest wasted of time in my life. Almost like standing at the DMV for hours on end without the thrill of getting a renewed license afterwards (/sarcasm).

I would not recommend going to this to anyone I particularly liked. However, if you have kids, disregard my statement above. My inner 5 year old was thrilled.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Expo Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
absolutmike wrote:

What was worth seeing?

I just went and I thought it was the biggest wasted of time in my life. Almost like standing at the DMV for hours on end without the thrill of getting a renewed license afterwards (/sarcasm).

I would not recommend going to this to anyone I particularly liked. However, if you have kids, disregard my statement above. My inner 5 year old was thrilled.

I think you'll find this somewhat often once you travel around the country a bit more. It's the rule, more than the exception.
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Expo Reply with quote

northway wrote:
sml7285 wrote:
absolutmike wrote:

What was worth seeing?

I think you'll find this somewhat often once you travel around the country a bit more. It's the rule, more than the exception.

I'm mentally preparing myself for hours upon hours of standing around in the army. I should learn how to sleep standing up.
thrylos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are lines shorter in the middle of the week as opposed to the weekends, or is it a non-stop clusterfrak any day of the week?
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:
Are lines shorter in the middle of the week as opposed to the weekends, or is it a non-stop clusterfrak any day of the week?

I was there during the weekend, but I've been told that it's pretty much the same any day of the week due to kids being out of school.
Savant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Expo Reply with quote

absolutmike wrote:

What was worth seeing?

Get a Expo Passport with which you can stamp at each Pavilion. Good for keeping a little memento.

The Big O show was worth seeing but I hated the pushy Korean crowd when trying to get there and also when leaving.

I liked the Swiss and German Pavilions the best. It seemed like they put a lot of time and effort into making something creative and informative.

The smaller Islands' Pavilions always had people there wanting to share a word with you.

The Russian Pavilion always had long lines outside but we didn't get a chance to go there.

We loved eating at the Belgian and German restaurants for dinner. Slightly expensive but not any more expensive than a good western meal at a western restaurant in Itaewon.

We would have loved to see the Aquarium and the Marine Robot Pavilion but were not interested in waiting 2+ hours to get in. We were not able to reserve online a time to go there. I would try to do that if you are interested in going. Think you can reserve a times for only 2 of the most popular Pavilions [not International].

absolutmike wrote:

Some Pavilions were set up more like shops [India, Pakistan] to sell their wears rather than wanting to be informative to Expo-goers.

As a Brit I disliked the Argentinian Pavilion [even though I liked the music and dance performance] as they had inside on big screens a message laying claim to the Falkland Islands and attacking Britain's occupation of it. I saw it as an attempt to play to the Dokdo nationalism of Koreans.

absolutmike wrote:

I took the bus from Seoul to Yeosu but from the Expo Sky Tower I saw that the Expo station was right next to the Expo site.

We arrived at 11.30pm and with luck found a good Motel close to the Express Bus Terminal. It was 80,000 but the room was great. On Saturday night, it was chaotic as most Motels were already full by the time we got out at 9.30pm. We took a bus (traffic was terrible) back to the Express Bus Terminal area and after much searching we found a cheap motel for 40,000. The interior was on the old side but was tolerable for 1 night. That last Saturday was the highest daily attendance at the Expo so we picked a bad time to go there.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:

It is worse on the weekdays because of all the school trips. Last Tuesday there was 2 1/2 hour wait to see the aquarium but only 1 1/2 hour wait on Sunday. Rolling Eyes
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When / where can I see decent clips online so I don't have to bother traveling and queueing up for hours?
sml7285

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
When / where can I see decent clips online so I don't have to bother traveling and queueing up for hours?

http://i.cdn.cnngo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/624x468_gallery/2012/05/29/144217095.jpg
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
JustinC wrote:

http://i.cdn.cnngo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/624x468_gallery/2012/05/29/144217095.jpg

Laughing
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Expo in early July and had a blast.

Because I bought my pass online, I was able to reserve 2 pavilions for each day.

I arrived at the park early (I went on a weekend) and got in line for the more popular pavilions right away.

I was able to see 6 of the 8 major pavilions and all but 2 of the Chaebol pavilions (didnt see Lotte or Posco).

I saw a ton of country pavilions and ate a lot of international food. I would only get in line for the more popular country pavilions if it looked like they were at the midway point so I wouldnt have to wait as long.

Overall I would give the Yeosu Expo a 7.8 out of 10. The Expo itself isnt bad...it's the infrastructure that Korea built around the Expo that made it so frustrating! If you have the time, definitely check it out....it's not everyday that you live in the same country as a world expo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: