Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EPIK Feburary 2013 Application Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: EPIK Feburary 2013 Application Thread Reply with quote

I figured I'd start a EPIK thread for the 2013 application pool. I was initially going to apply for a few hagwon positions in Nov/Dec but decided it would be best to apply to EPIK next year. I just sent in my application and awaiting a response.

I am graduating in Aug so It will give me ample time to get my documents ready. No teaching experience but have a year 1/2 working as a TA, college career assistant and now working with the Department of Health with foster kids. I know that this does not qualify as teaching experience but working with children in other ways must count for something (ok maybe not)

Unrelated double major (Public and Justice Administration) and a certificate in Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (may help).

My only issue is debating whether or not to send off for my CBC so early. Also, a few traffic tickets are a bit of a worry but by many posts is seems as though fingerprinted offenses get reported.

I know there are a few lurkers out there who mentioned applying next year!
gdn35

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the deadline for applicants for EPIK is the beginning of October, so it is definitely best to apply now. I'm considering applying myself but I'm finishing off my TEFL first.

Have you completed a TEFL or TESOL certificate? I think you need one to apply. Also, you'll have a better chance of picking a location if you go with a recruiter than if you apply directly I think.
flashguns

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently getting my documents together for Spring 2013.

I have just under a year's experience teaching adults in Spain, after completing a TEFL course there. I also have experience working with secondary school kids on work experience and training for professional qualifications as part of the training team at a financial services firm. Hopefully this will be enough (combined with my BSc of course)!

Starting to get a bit concerned as my university professor isn't getting back to me about the damn recommendation letter, my TEFL trainer is writing the other one, as obviously I don't want to ask my current employer.

I'm hoping for Seoul/satellite and have an interview with Korvia next Friday, currently scouring the net trying to find out what to expect.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know I needed a TESOL certificate at the time I apply. Probably why no response. Anyways should be finishing my last class next week so starting my 120 hour course is my plan.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an interview with Footprints next week.
Jaffazoid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: EPIK Feburary 2013 Application Thread Reply with quote

As far as I know, minor traffic offences won't affect your application; you won't even need to declare them.

Also, EPIK don't take applications earlier than their own start date so that may be another reason why they didn't get back to you.

Good luck with your Footprints interview, they're the agency I have gone with and I've found them to be great. Thanks to them I'll be jetting off to Ulsan in a few weeks so you're in good hands! Concentrate on getting your letters of recommendation and the application forms/lesson plan complete before anything else so you can apply to EPIK right from when they start accepting applications. This semester it was only open for 11 days before they received enough applicants.
foullows

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the deadline for applicants for EPIK is the beginning of October, so it is definitely best to apply now. I'm considering applying myself but I'm finishing off my TEFL first.

I thought that applications started on the first of October. Am I understanding this incorrectly?
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct. It begins in October. I have received numerous emails from different recruiters confirming it. All suggest sending cbc applications in August as well.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone interview with Footprints screening team this Friday. I assume it's a phone interview because the email said they will contact me via my cellphone.

Any advice?
sholee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremydc808 wrote:
Phone interview with Footprints screening team this Friday. I assume it's a phone interview because the email said they will contact me via my cellphone.

Any advice?

The phone interview with footprints was pretty simple and lasted only around 15 minutes for me. They ask questions like
"Are you okay with commuting up to around 1 hour?"
"Why do you want to teach in Korea?"

They're pretty straight forward questions, nothing too tricky. I'm with footprints recruiting as well. I've been placed in gyeongbuk and just scheduled my flight with their travel agency. They're a very good recruiting agency and they always reply back to my e-mails within the same day or next day.

I would suggest you get all your docs ready for the October application. Apply for your CBC mid-august and whenever you get it back, notarized/apostille it along with your other documents. So when you pass your interview you can mail out your documents right away because positions in metropolitan areas get filled pretty quick.

Good luck!
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

My only issue is that my diploma won't be sent to me until October (Graduating this month). I figured I'd sent the fingerprints next week.
sholee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremydc808 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

My only issue is that my diploma won't be sent to me until October (Graduating this month). I figured I'd sent the fingerprints next week.

That should be fine because even though applications open in October, you won't get an interview with EPIK until 1-3 weeks after you hand in your application. (At least that was my situation with footprints) So hopefully you'll have your diploma by then.

For me, right after I passed the interview, I got my documents apostilled the day after and mailed in my documents. If you're not close to the secretary of state building, this might take longer. I live in NYC, so i basically just walked into the building and was out with my apostilled documents after 30 minutes.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ^^^^^

Just did the initial screening interview with Footprints.

Basic Questions included:

Why Korea instead of staying in "beautiful" Hawaii.

Behavioral questions involving teaching situations of the past.

All went well and he said they were "excited" to help me with the process and see no problems getting me a job.

**** Only issue was that he mentioned that you need to be FLEXIBLE and its different from the past because you can't choose s specific location.

Might as well apply directly.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent FBI background check the other day via Priority including envelope back as well with tracking included.

ID went in the wash, 4-6 weeks for another so will have to expedite passport (close to 200$). Thank goodness I have a good job.

BTW sent in app with essay and lesson plan. Nervous about lesson plan.
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent in application via Korvia. Anyone applying should apply direct though. Awaiting interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: