Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug testing for physical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ms7878

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Drug testing for physical Reply with quote

From what I have read, the drug testing done for the physical once one arrives in Korea tests for illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc) I am wondering if it will test for benzodiazapenes (a controlled med) as well. I usually take Xanax when I fly. Should I skip the Xanax, get a note from my Dr and bring the prescription bottle, or any other advice for me?

thanks
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be safe and don't take it.
s.tickbeat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dude, be on the safe side.

That said, if you have anxiety issues about flying, there are plenty of sedatives available over-counter. I hate flying (not an anxiety, not fear; I just find it extremely physically taxing and uncomfortable) and this seems to be a magic combination. Take some gravol (a widely-available anti-nauseant), 1 or 2 depending on your size (I take one to start, and if it doesn't work after 30 minutes I take a second, 110lbs here), as soon as you sit down in the plane. When the flight attendants come by after take-off, order a glass of scotch or wine or something (not beer). The drug itself is a muscle relaxant, meant to ease stomach cramps, but as a side-effect is a fairly respectable sedative. The alcohol will enhance the sedative effect, and taking the two together in such a small amount won't hurt you. It doesn't make you crazy, you're clear-headed; just relaxed and tired. The combo should help you sleep as well.

Benadryl will work the same way, if gravol is unavailable. Additionally, neither of them will show in a drug test, and both are perfectly legal in Korea.

however, if you're accustomed to a drug as strong as xanax, this might be too mild to have much of an effect on you.
sml7285

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Drug testing for physical Reply with quote

ms7878 wrote:
From what I have read, the drug testing done for the physical once one arrives in Korea tests for illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc) I am wondering if it will test for benzodiazapenes (a controlled med) as well. I usually take Xanax when I fly. Should I skip the Xanax, get a note from my Dr and bring the prescription bottle, or any other advice for me?

thanks

Xanax has a half life of about half a day. If you're really worried, just take a half dose when you fly.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't likely to send you to do the physical exam the day after you arrive. Usually it's withing the first few weeks though (depending on how organised your school is).

Ask your doctor how long it will stay in your system. If it's only going to show up in the first few days, then just put off the exam until you're sure that it's out of your system.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
They aren't likely to send you to do the physical exam the day after you arrive. Usually it's withing the first few weeks though (depending on how organised your school is).

Ask your doctor how long it will stay in your system. If it's only going to show up in the first few days, then just put off the exam until you're sure that it's out of your system.

Though ideally you want to go ASAP in order to get the ball rolling on your ARC, aka your real life.
Riker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my Xanax prescription to the doctor at the physical. He asked about it and looked very concerned, then in typical Korean fashion said it wouldn't be a problem.

I can tell you the test I took was just peeing right onto a detector strip, which means its was most likely a 5 panel anyway which doesn't even detect benzos.

FWIW, I hear getting Candy from a doctor in Korea is extremely easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: