Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And so it begins...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: And so it begins... Reply with quote

I've always wondered when this sort of violence would raise its head here.

Man dies after brawl with teens

Quote:
A 39-year-old man died after an argument with teenagers resulted in a brawl while his wife and 6-year-old child looked on.

The Suwon Seobu Police Precinct said yesterday they booked a 16-year-old suspect, surnamed Kim, without detention on charges of bodily injury resulting in death.

The authority also charged another person, identified as Shin, 21, without restraint for assault.

What was to be a nighttime family outing turned out to be a tragic event on July 21 when Kim told a group of five teenagers sitting next to him at a table in front of a convenience store in Suwon, Gyeonggi to stop spitting and quiet down. The scolding soon turned into a heated argument and brawl.

The father of the 6-year-old hit his head on the asphalt, causing a brain hemorrhage, after being kicked in the head by the 16-year-old Kim.

Unconscious, Kim was immediately transported to a nearby hospital and underwent an eight-hour operation but died on Friday, six days after the surgery.

The suspect fled the site but later turned himself in to the authorities.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sad situation.

The part I find most disturbing is this: The police had earlier sought an arrest warrant against the 16-year-old but a local court rejected the request on grounds that the suspect is a student and is not likely to flee or destroy evidence.

I suppose the local court is not aware of the high suicide rate among teenagers, and giving him the chance to do himself in rather than face justice.
JeffersonDarcy2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the building security guard was lying on his cot in his little security guard booth, not doing anything.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's just a street fight that happened to end in a freak accident. I doubt the kid planned the guy's head to hit the ground and kill him.

I wonder what the guy was thinking telling those kid to told to quiet down and then getting a fight with them after they refused. Since when do young punks or douche bags or anybody for that matter, go, "Yes sir, you're right" after being scolded by strangers? Should've been more polite and moved on with his life.

Also, who is the 21 year old? I'm guessing he was part of the 16 year old's group, although then that means it wasn't just a group of teens.

Quote:
The police had earlier sought an arrest warrant against the 16-year-old but a local court rejected the request on grounds that the suspect is a student and is not likely to flee or destroy evidence.

I wonder what he did.
Lazio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... Reply with quote

Quote:
Kim told a group of five teenagers sitting next to him at a table in front of a convenience store to stop spitting and quiet down.

Tragic.
Although it is somewhat good to see that the highlighted part bothers Koreans as well. I had the feeling that they are immune to these.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Quote:

It's just a street fight that happened to end in a freak accident. I doubt the kid planned the guy's head to hit the ground and kill him.

I wonder what the guy was thinking telling those kid to told to quiet down and then getting a fight with them after they refused. Since when do young punks or douche bags or anybody for that matter, go, "Yes sir, you're right" after being scolded by strangers? Should've been more polite and moved on with his life.

fermentation, you wear your runners or dress shoes while doing your grave treading?
BigBuds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffersonDarcy2010 wrote:
Meanwhile, the building security guard was lying on his cot in his little security guard booth, not doing anything.

It happened in front of a convenience store not in an apartment complex moron.

Learn to read before making stupid comments, especially if it's about someone dying.

Heartless *beep*.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The report says that the kid kicked him in the head. A kick to the head is potentially lethal so murderous intent was definitely there.

Quote:

What a sad perspective you have on this. One of the things I like about Korea is that people respect their elders but the youngsters seem to have lost that. The guy was probably saying what most people were thinking. Sadly, standing up to idiots cost him his life.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
The report says that the kid kicked him in the head. A kick to the head is potentially lethal so murderous intent was definitely there.

Oh come on. The same thing can happen with a punch or even a push. A while back there was a story of a guy in the US who punched another guy over a dispute and accidently killed him. Every time you hit someone doesn't mean you were trying to kill him. If that was the case I should be tried for several attempted murders. These things happen. The kid didn't plan it otherwise he wouldn't have turned himself in.

Quote:
What a sad perspective you have on this. One of the things I like about Korea is that people respect their elders but the youngsters seem to have lost that. The guy was probably saying what most people were thinking. Sadly, standing up to idiots cost him his life.

The article says the kids were being loud and spitting, two things that happen all the time in this country and don't directly bother anyone. They weren't screaming in people's faces or harassing them. If they did the article failed to mention that. In fact, we weren't there so we don't reall know what happened. But I'm assuming they were just being kids at that age. We all acted tough as teens. But this guy instead of politely asking them to be quiet or moving on, he scolded them and then got in a shouting match with them that lead to a fight. He isn't their parent or teacher. He's a stranger who just happens to be older than them.

Do you like it when an older person you never met scolds you for something they perceive as rude? The teenagers might've been obnoxious douchesbags, but if we got in fights with people for being rude, we would always be fighting someone constantly.

Quote:
fermentation, you wear your runners or dress shoes while doing your grave treading

I prefer my combat boots. In all seriousness, it's sad a guy with a kid died and this shouldn't have happened, but that doesn't mean I can't comment on what the guy should have or shouldn't have done to prevent it. At one point, the guy could've decided getting in a fight with teenagers isn't worth it. I'm sorry but I can't help but think some fault lies with him too.

Edit: The Korean language version of this tells a slightly different story.
http://www.kgnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=313256

Kim scolded the kid, also named Kim, for spitting. They got in a shouting match and Shin, the 21 year old passerby, saw this and tried to calm Kim (the 39 year old) down but these two ended up physcally fighting. The kid tried to stop these two from fighting, and in the process, got hit in the face by Kim by accident. In retaliation, the kid kicked Kim in the head and knocked him down, killing him.

So, it was a 1-1 fight (or a 1-1-1 fight depending on how you look at it), not a gang of teens randomly assaulting one man.
There was no mention of the teens being loud, just spitting.
Kim hit the kid in the face as well, while trying to hit another person. Kim himself wasn't exactly innocent.

A bit less sensationalistic and misleading than the one in the OP. I looked up a couple more articles and they all told the same story.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that story sounds a lot more nuanced now.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless, automatic respect for elder's is on the way out for many reasons. One of them is the behavior of many elders.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Fermentation. It certainly makes me rethink my initial post.
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea
Quote:

Sad story, but I'm rather intrigued by this comment. Care to elaborate? (Not that I'm in disagreement....or agreement!)
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next week that same teenager will be back at that GS 25 and telling his friend how tough he is, cuz he killed someone and got away with it..

because he will get off this.. he wont do any time.. not even Juvi!
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalk another one up for the dysfunctional poster child for globalization.

Well everyone can go shopping and forget about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: