Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving Cell phone contract unfinished...Any dangers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstreak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Leaving Cell phone contract unfinished...Any dangers? Reply with quote

Hello a year ago i got an iphone 4 with a two year contract. I planned on staying another year but things have gone kind of south and i feel like returning to my country. I know i can cancel the contract and pay a large fee for doing so....but when i asked my boss (korean lady) she told me just leave is ok they cant do anything about it. This is a little dishonest but i was wondering if there are any further dangers if i do so? I most likely wont come back to korea(not for many years anyways). I figure the only bad thing would be i could not get another contract from SK. Anyone have any ideas or info on this? thanx.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just adhere to the contract? You signed it, do it. Buy it out if need be.
dazzed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave without paying.. the outstanding will stay for pretty much forever. If you decided to come back, you won't be able to get another phone with any other companies since you have a outstanding credit.

I'd suggest you get a person that just arrived to Korea to take over your contract. You don't have to pay anything. Just meet with the person and go to closest SK store that has a English speaker and transfer the name.
wavesofwar74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related note: I just arrived in Korea and have been looking for a contract to take over. Maybe we can help each other out! What are the details of your contract? Additionally, one reason I haven't a phone yet is that our director has been slow in submitting my documents and I still don't have my ARC. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Thanks for your time!
dazzed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an Alien Registration Card to get a phone with contract.
Isehtis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need ARC, and your ARC Must be tied to your bank account. When I tried the first time, mine was tied to passport so I couldn't do it.

As to whether or not you can break the contract consequence free, as far as I can tell you can.

The salesman in an Itaewon U+ Shop (Not saying it's a trustable source of course) Was actually suggesting it, since you can use the phones back home, you can just sign up for a 2 year contract and leave the next day. As long as you don't plan on ever coming back, it's consequence free.

Can't see the phone companies keeping it like this for long though...
alljokingaside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard you're able to cancel the contract w/o a fee if you show proof that you're leaving. As a precaution, empty the bank account that they usually take funds from and do it. If they stick you with a fee, then f* it and leave.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is why us foreigners often have to jump through more hoops than the locals to even get these contracts in the first place.
dazzed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at it as a company stand point, most foreigners don't stay permanently or long time in this country. Most foreigners don't stay in this country no more than 1-2 years. In the past and some still just leave without paying there bills. That's a big lost for the telecom companies. It's a way to insure themselves.

How would you like it if somebody was living at your place and just bail before paying up the rent for the month. You're standing holding the bill.

It's sucky deal for most of us but it's what it is it is.
thurst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might be wrong, but i think you need your carrier to region unlock it for you, so if you're not in good standing they prob won't do it for you.

depending on how new your phone is, you could just pay off the fee, go home, put it on ebay and turn a profit. a year old, unlocked smart phone still goes for $300-400 easily.
MiXX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzed wrote:
If you leave without paying.. the outstanding will stay for pretty much forever. If you decided to come back, you won't be able to get another phone with any other companies since you have a outstanding credit.

Are you positive someone would not be able to get another phone with a different company?

Anyone else know the definitive answer for this issue?

I left last year with a phone and without canceling contract thinking I wasnt coming back, but alas I am back after over a year hiatus.

If that is the case it appears my only option would be

1) Settle the debt with phone company. Obviously not the entire amount I am due, be like ill give you X.

2) Buy a smartphone outright and get a pay as you go / pre paid sim card ect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: