Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiophiles/Producers: need help with $2000 PC Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Audiophiles/Producers: need help with $2000 PC Setup Reply with quote

Just got a sweet new computer and I'd like to do some music production. I've decided upon Senn HD600s for cans, KRK Rokit 6's/8's (or maybe even VXT 4's) for monitors, and Ableton. Now I just need help selecting an interface.

My main concern is losing sound quality/fidelity using an audio interface with a built-in DAC as opposed to a dedicated/boutique DAC (was looking at something in the $500 range like an AudioGD NFB-10, Nuforce Icon HDP, or maybe just a Schiit Bifrost).

I want the audiophile playback of a dedicated DAC in an interface. Any recommendations? Or are there any suggestions for an standalone interface/controller I could just add to a dedicated DAC for D/A?

Any input would be great! Thanks
dazzed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about audio hardware and such but sound blaster announced an interesting new soundcard to be released very soon.
It seems like it's geared towards something you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/creative-reveals-sound-blaster-zxr-zx-and-z-soundcards/

hit show press release for info.
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzed wrote:
Don't know much about audio hardware and such but sound blaster announced an interesting new soundcard to be released very soon.
It seems like it's geared towards something you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/creative-reveals-sound-blaster-zxr-zx-and-z-soundcards/

hit show press release for info.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like an interesting compromise between audio and multimedia (gaming, movies, etc.). I'm looking for something higher up in the hi-fi audio food chain. Nice to see new things coming from Creative, though.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get decent results with a UGM96. It records at better than CD quality, (I stick with 24bit, 48kHz, but it goes up to 96kHz, completely superfluous IMHO.) has some decent DACs, comes with Cubase LE and costs about 100'000won in Korea. ESI makes some higher end USB interfaces as well.

There are a billion gearhead sites out there. Search some reviews for what you want in your price range.
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
I get decent results with a UGM96. It records at better than CD quality, (I stick with 24bit, 48kHz, but it goes up to 96kHz, completely superfluous IMHO.) has some decent DACs, comes with Cubase LE and costs about 100'000won in Korea. ESI makes some higher end USB interfaces as well.

There are a billion gearhead sites out there. Search some reviews for what you want in your price range.

I ended up going for an RME Babyface and have a friend bringing it over from the States (still about 720USD Shocked ).
luckylady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avid ProTools will give you everything and more digitally - sounds like you are buying hardware that just isn't necessary any more?

I use an M-box mini as my interface, then ProTools is on the screen, wham bam your in business
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
Avid ProTools will give you everything and more digitally - sounds like you are buying hardware that just isn't necessary any more?

I use an M-box mini as my interface, then ProTools is on the screen, wham bam your in business

You need studio monitors to hear the exact sound of your work. Definitely necessary. Also I need an interface with a bunch of inputs to connect things like instruments and stuff like a launchpad or lemur. All digital isn't quite the way to go yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: