Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Third stabbing spree within a week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Third stabbing spree within a week Reply with quote

http://mbn.mk.co.kr/pages/news/newsView.php?news_seq_no=1227880

A drunk guy (39 year old Kang) in Suwon tried to rape a bartender but stabbed her when she resisted. Then he stabbed a customer before breaking into a home in the neighborhood and stabbing a family of three. 1 dead, 4 wounded.

I guess 39 is the age when people snap. The other guy in the subway was also 39. The guy who was killed in a fight with a teenager was 39.

http://news.kbs.co.kr/society/2012/08/22/2522907.html

Just saw this one too. A convict in his 40s wearing an electronic ankle bracelet tried to rape a mother of two but killed her with a knife when she resisted. The guy had 12 prior convictions of rape, assault and robbery.

The police are saying they can only track the guy when he's in his specified area. So why didn't they go after him when he left his area? Sounds like another excuse from Korea's finest to me.

Last edited by fermentation on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible, just terrible. 12 convictions and he's walking around in public? What is going on here?
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL wrote:
Terrible, just terrible. 12 convictions and he's walking around in public? What is going on here?

I was baffled by that too. As much as I rag on the police here, I can't say the justice system in this country is all that much better. Why wasn't this guy behind bars? I bet he gets out in a few years and does it all over again.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
TL wrote:

I was baffled by that too. As much as I rag on the police here, I can't say the justice system in this country is all that much better. Why wasn't this guy behind bars? I bet he gets out in a few years and does it all over again.

The person/people responsible for letting this sick filth out on the streets should also be behind bars...for life.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The judiciary is far too lenient.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Another stabbing incident Reply with quote

http://www.nocutnews.co.kr/Show.asp?IDX=2234851

30 year old man last night wounded 4 people in Yoeido with a knife. Kim stabbed two former business collegues who made fun of him and talked behind his back. Kim says he eventually had to quit due to the stress and considered comitting suicide but thought it was unfair for him to die alone.

After stabbing the two men, Kim ran away but panicked when citizens started following him and attacked two other passerby. Police caught Kim 15 minutes later via tazing but witnesses are complaining about the untimely response.

So this the third stabbing spree in a week in the Seoul/gyeongi area (not including the murder in the OP), although this one wasn't as random initially. While I'm glad some brave citizens chased after him, I think it should be noted that if you do go after a madman, you should try to take him down as soon as possible before he hurts more people.

I don't have all the details, I'm not sure I agree with the complaints against the police this time. Not sure why people would think catching the guy in 15 minutes was too late as the article didn't expand on it.

I wonder why we're hearing about this sort of stuff more recently. Copy cats? Sensationalism? Are people losing their minds?
TL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one?!! I wonder if it will be a trend for suicidal people to start killing others who had wronged them before killing themselves. I also applaud the brave folks who followed the guy.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another surprise. The killer in Suwon who stabbed 5 people also had a 11 prior convictions. But since he was convicted before they implemented the ankle bracelets, he didn't have one on. Not that it would've made a difference in this country anyway.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: And another one. Reply with quote

Not a stabbing spree per se, but the police are currently in pursuit of a man who attacked stabbed another in the arm. They aren't sure if it's a random attack yet.

http://www.mt.co.kr/view/mtview.php?type=1&no=2012082309082296494&outlink=1

I guess it's time to look for a portable self-defense weapon.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a fabric that's slash-proof?

My friends always warned me that there are ppl with needles/blades that would just walk past someone on the subway and slice 'em. Always figured it was an urban myth... Now it's seeming a little more real.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stabbing incident Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
http://www.nocutnews.co.kr/Show.asp?IDX=2234851

30 year old man last night wounded 4 people in Yoeido with a knife. Kim stabbed two former business collegues who made fun of him and talked behind his back. Kim says he eventually had to quit due to the stress and considered comitting suicide but thought it was unfair for him to die alone.

It's hard to tell if these guys are real wackos. It's becoming more and more difficult for some people to make thier place in the sun. They usually end out being harrassed and jobless. At some point the ethics that people in thier community live by become meaningless and/or are percieved as unfair to them and they figure better 4 to 1 than 0 to 1. The severe law and order approach needs to be used against people that have an established history of being predatory not just being wierd. Some of the people that do this stuff do not start off particularly being predatory.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they need to put more police down in the subways, at least for a while.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korean media all over the Yoeido incident. It was on the news just now. Apparently it wasn't even the cops who caught the guy. It was a former judoka and the former head of security during the Kim Daejung administration who held him down until the cops arrived. So maybe the criticisms against the police have some merit. Although I'm not sure why they had to taze him if that was the case.

atwood wrote:
It sounds like they need to put more police down in the subways, at least for a while.

None of the more recent cases took place in subways.

Quote:
Isn't there a fabric that's slash-proof?

It's probably really expensive though. I do sometimes think about forging my own coat of mail, I'm not so paranoid to walk around in it. I'll just have to pick up a brick or a pipe laying around somewhere if push comes to shove. Plus I have my mitts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: