Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It looks like visiting China just got a whole lot harder.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: It looks like visiting China just got a whole lot harder. Reply with quote

Even if you are able to bypass the 6 month ARC rule and whatever other hoops you have to jump through it looks like China is about to require confirmed hotel reservations a Letter of Invitation from a Chinese business/hotel/travel agency before they issue a tourist visa.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-22/china-adds-to-visa-demands-in-move-that-could-slow-tourists

Quote:
China has tightened visa rules for visitors, adding requirements for a letter of invitation and proof of hotel reservations in a move that could slow its push to become the world�s biggest tourism destination.

Travelers applying for tourist visas, must submit a letter from an �authorized tourism unit,� company or person inviting them to China, along with a photocopy of their round-trip ticket and hotel reservation, according to rules posted on the website of China�s embassy in the U.S.

No idea if it will only apply to Americans, or those applying from an embassy/consulate in the U.S, but it looks like Beijing is taking a definite step backwards with regard to tourism.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those tour operators must really be _________________ (fill in blank)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be for Americans...

II. Supplementary Documents Required for Application

1.Tourist and family visit visa (L visa)

Those who apply for tourism or family visits in China should provide invitations from an individual or organization. If invitations cannot be provided, round-trip airline tickets, hotel reservation and itinerary during their stay in China should be provided.

It seems that it is an either/or (invite or exit ticket) for most other nationalities.

metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the Chinese way more friendly than Koreans? Truly boggles the mind.
Plume D'ella Plumeria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it is related to the upcoming change of government, due to happen in October. Things are tightening up because of it and a one hundred day "crackdown" on those of us working here just ended. It was a bit scary, even for the legally employed, such as myself. I won't go into great detail, but it involved immigration officers visiting workplaces, intimidating people, checking passports and even confiscating passports including those with proper work visas stamped within.

Not so different from what happened to people before the Beijing Olympics a few years back. It was not a happy time to be in China, especially in Beijing. More than a few long term legal residents I knew were basically run out of town.

The Chinese government can be a bit heavy-handed (well, they always are) with regard to these sorts of events.

The best bet for would-be visitors is probably to wait until things settle down a bit and right themselves which may not be until December or after. Which is not really a great time to visit Beijing with its cold and dry winters. Spring however, is quite nice. A May visit is highly recommended.
passport220

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So be it, I am happy to spend my tourist dollars in Thailand.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can't experience the genuine pollution, bad roads and bad airlines that China provides? Wait while I find a f*** to give.
slasher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those invitation letters are required for all nationalities, but not much is actually changed here in Korea at least. Before, you needed a visa anyway, and most travel agencies would take care of it here. Now, those travel agencies will take care of the invitation letters as well, with a slight raise in fee and time required.
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be awkward. I plan to go next February/March, and am expecting to get a visa based on the fact I'll have been there within the last 2 years, despite my ARC running out in February. I hope this doesn't cause any problems. I'm not a US citizen, by the way
slasher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked around a couple of travel agencies, and they'd all quote that 6-month rule for foreigners. But good luck.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the rules to change without notice and for the visa process to take longer than expected, especially if it's a Z visa. I wouldn't doubt if valid L and Z visas are getting declined or will soon as they are even making it next to impossible for public school teachers to come over on Z visa with schools begging them and telling them it's no problem to come over on tourist L visas which is risky, because all the responsibility and costs fall on the foreign teacher. The Chinese do converse many times better than Koreans and are much easier to talk to, but their government works in strange illogical ways.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a tourist visa to China as well but alas I have 6 months left on my visa.

Would it be possible to have my school extend my working visa and then once that is done...just apply for a Chinese visa that way??
D.D.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always been easy to fly to hk and take a ferry before customs to the shekou ferry on the mainland of China. If before 4pm there is a visa agent there and visas are easy to come by. It might be different now and I left China this year because of the crap new visa difficulties.

If you are leaving last minute from Korea you can try entering China via Shekou( part of shenzhen) and if you can't get a visa , just go back to the Hk airport and buy a cheap ticket onto Thailand or some other place.
valkerie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who got the 'certificate of residence' thing from immigration in lieu of having 6 months left on her visa. I am going to have to try this as plan to take a ship from UK to Usa an it calls at several Chinese ports. Even though I won't get off I still need a multiple entry.
rolough

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know....

I once had to bypass the 6 month ARC rule when I applied for a Visa with 5 months and 29 days remaining on my ARC here...

I bet there are ways to get around it, I.E. Paying money or having a connection or finding that special travel agency that will do it...

Hmm. At least I'm not planning on going to China any time soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: