Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neil Armstrong is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Neil Armstrong is dead Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much can really be said about him. He was the first man to walk on the moon. Quite an accomplishment, but it still owed a lot to the work of others as well.

And it's debatable how much direct impact the moon landings had in the long run. I suppose the knowledge that humans had actually walked on an extraterrestrial object represented a psychocultural milestone for a lor of people.

link
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Neil isn't so special insofar as he was 'lucky' and a hero 'of circumstances.' But we shouldn't forget: all astronauts are badasses. RIP Neil Armstrong.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But we shouldn't forget: all astronauts are badasses.

Yes, it's certainly a VERY select few individuals who could go into space on their own effort("space tourists" are another matter, but I'd imagine that even they have to go through training well beyond what most people would care to undertake). I get nervous changing a light-bulb.
spanky1off

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just makes me sad for the human race when we could accomplish so much yet our leaders choose to spend billions of dollars squabbling over earths finite resources when with some ingenuity and inventon im sure we could be mining dead planets like mars.

the cost of a tomahawk cruise missile = $200 million/missile

the US navy orders 250 per year.

and they want to cut nasa spending?...something aint right here.
catman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky1off wrote:
just makes me sad for the human race when we could accomplish so much yet our leaders choose to spend billions of dollars squabbling over earths finite resources when with some ingenuity and inventon im sure we could be mining dead planets like mars.

the cost of a tomahawk cruise missile = $200 million/missile

the US navy orders 250 per year.

and they want to cut nasa spending?...something aint right here.

Imagine if NASA had a budget like the Pentagon did?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, Summer of '69.

Rare times. I was living and working (summer job) in Washington, Iowa, home of the ugliest A & W Root Beer waitresses in the entire USA...(this has been certified true somewhere).

By day, I worked in the office of the Rock Island Railroad depot; by evening, I 'lived' in a caboose parked outside. No electricity. No running water. No...nothing. So, by evenings, I ate out at the greasy spoon and then went to the one and only one movie theater in town and watched whatever movie was playing. How many times can you watch Zefferelli's 'Romeo & Juliet'? Vanessa Redgrave & Franco Nero's 'Camelot'...or some Burt Reynold's white lightning flick? Arg!

If I drank too much Coke at supper and at the movie, I'd wake up at about 2 am and have to pull on my cut-offs, climb down from the caboose, walk over to the depot and unlock the door and go inside and take a pee. Sigh. Going back out to bed I'd often look up at the moon and think, "At least Neil doesn't have to walk to an out house to pee".

How times have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: