Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Media Server Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Media Server Recommendations Reply with quote

I would like to set up a mini PC media server in my living room, but I don't know where to begin...

I need it to be powerful enough to run ~10gig 1080p .MKV files. And I need it to have HDMI and Optical Audio outs. It would be nice if I could install XBMC on it, but not necessary. Price is definitely important, I'm only looking to spend a couple hundred, but I don't even know where the price starts, so if I have to go higher, so be it.

If you have used any good ones please recommend. If you have experience with bad ones please caution. I've surfed around on Gmarket, but its really hard to get any idea on these sort of things from that site. Better to have hands on.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea but just had to say your avatar is cool Shocked
orosee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheaper solution (around 200k) might be a media box such as the TViX Xroid A1. I'm using one and it has no problems at all plying 30 GB 1080p files, 1:1 Blu-Ray rips, and connects to USB2 and USB3 external hard drives (up to 4 connected to the box directly), takes SD cards, connects to the PC by LAN and streams 20GB+ 1080p from the PC hard disk while it is busy doing other stuff (up to 4 partitions/drives on PC are supported), outputs are HDMI, optical, the standard stuff. Also allows one internal HD.

Runs on Android (older stock though) and you can watch YouTube and play around with some Android apps as well.

Otherwise a mid range PC should do fine, I bought a used one with good gaming specs (good not great; runs Crysis in full splendour but chokes a bit), a used one in the range of 6-800k should do it.

http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/products/Xroid_A1.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: