Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
nautilus wrote:
luckylady wrote:
I have no doubt that a lot of the harrassment she's endured post-attack would not have happened if she'd had her husband there with her.

A woman shouldn't have to need a bodyguard 24/7 though.

no, of course not. just noting the way it is, unfortunately, for women

So the tone of your previous post that seemed to lay some blame at the husband's feet for having to be out of country on business was unintended? Just to be clear.
crescent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Harrasment is a pretty normal and expected experience for mixed race couples in Korea.

This high-profile incident signifies a transition from simple harrasment, to actual racist violence, and it needs to be publicly seen to be harshly punished. Or we may enter a new phase in this country.

So, a 16 year old with Autism was able to determine the son was mixed race? What about the little girl he assaulted minutes before? Was she mixed race?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, crazy is as crazy does.

I don't doubt that every foreigner has been approached by someone "out of the norm" in Korea.
blm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Yeah, crazy is as crazy does.

I don't doubt that every foreigner has been approached by someone "out of the norm" in Korea.

Yes.... every second time I go to the subway.

On the plus side most of the religious nutters in my neighbourhood cant speak English so just a smile get's rid of them whereas my neighbours or wife cop the whole spiel.
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pregnant Wife and Son of US Diplomat Attacked in E-Mart Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
not only that, he sent her in an advanced stage of pregnancy alone with their obviously mixed ethnicity child - a 4 yr old - alone - ?? he wasn't planning to arrive until her DUE DATE??? how convenient for him.

You cannot seriously be blaming the husband.

Did you miss the part where she is a native Korean? He also has an international job. Chances are he cannot take leave until the due date. Makes sense to me.

Also, that boy is a spitting image of his mom. I'm not sure where you get "obviously mixed race child."
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Quote:
One shocking thing that then occurred was that the police took the violent attacker into a room with my wife, and let him sit there in close proximity to my wifewithout any restraints (no handcuffs, nothing!), as they thought he had "calmed down". Are you kidding me? He could have attacked at any moment again....he is mentally deranged. Are victims rights respected in Korea?

This is something they continue to do - put the victim in the same room as the attacker. I thought they caught hell for it during some rape cases a few years back, but it's obvious that it hasn't changed.

Think of it as an unusual drunk tank. They want the people to sleep it off, and then go away, in the morning, after both parties have decided to press no charges, especially when foreign parties are involved, just like a headache. Honestly, American diplomat dude should've known a bit about that regarding Korea...
goreality

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/08/117_118186.html
This sheds more details on the case. It says her father (young boy's grandpa) was there intervening, so it seems the diplomat is incorrect to say no one was helping.
If the staff didn't see the kid attack the young boy they would have just seen a grandpa breaking up a fight between a pregnant lady and a mentally handicapped teenager who was trying to run away. About separating the victim, it may take some time to establish who is the victim in such a complicated case and with multiple police officers there I'm sure the lady was in little danger.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just separate the conflicting parties? If both claim that the other is the attacker, NO NEED to put them in the same room together.
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they lock the scumbag up Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: