Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Indians or Asians� bigotry in Australian job ad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: No Indians or Asians� bigotry in Australian job ad Reply with quote

Quote:
Coles, one of Australia�s biggest supermarket chains, is receiving criticism for a job ad that was placed online that read �no Indians or Asians� need apply, according to news sources. The job ad was seeking cleaners for a Coles located near Hobart, the capital of Tasmania.

Indians and Chinese are among the biggest ethnic groups in Australia. 1.4% of the country�s population comes from India, and 1.5% comes from mainland China.

Coles has explained that their cleaning subcontractor placed the ad online without Coles� consent. Jim Cooper, the company spokesperson, clarified, �Coles is a proud, equal-opportunity employer and at no time have we ever issued the directives contained in this ad.�

Coles has since terminated its contract with the cleaning subcontractor, and the ad has been removed from popular classifieds website Gumtree.

Tasmania�s Anti-Discrimination Commissioner Robin Banks said that the ad was �discriminatory on the basis of race� and a breach of Tasmania�s Anti-Discrimination Act. She said she would investigate to see exactly what happened in the publishing of the ad.

�One of the things we�re trying to encourage in Australia, especially in Tasmania, is for people to do something about it [discrimination], to report it.� Banks revealed that she was led to the ad by a Facebook post on her personal page.

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120829001353&cpv=0

I'm curious does Korea not have discrimination laws?
because I have seen plenty of Ads saying, NO BLACKS! NO ASIANS,
WHITES ONLY! , NORTH AMERICANS ONLY! etc etc

just curious if those recruiters are actually breaking any laws or not.
if so I would like to report them.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious does Korea not have discrimination laws?
because I have seen plenty of Ads saying, NO BLACKS! NO ASIANS,
WHITES ONLY! , NORTH AMERICANS ONLY! etc etc

just curious if those recruiters are actually breaking any laws or not.
if so I would like to report them.

When I first arrived, Korea was still in the 'hey, guys, we're all pure-bred Koreans, all 100% of us' phase. It was a bit tiresome.

They are in the first (maybe second) stage of trying to figure out how to open up to outsiders. In the last election, wasn't there a woman from the Philippines who ran for a seat in the National Assembly?

I don't doubt that at some point there will be a backlash among the xenophobes. Isn't there always? But so far, Koreans are handling the multi-culturization pretty darn well, compared to other places.

I remember a handful of years ago I was living out in Frog-Spit and one Sunday got on my scooter and rode off into the hills and ended up in Frog-Leg, South Korea, awfully close to End-of-the-Road, Korea. I was sitting outside a road-side 7-11 kind of place, drinking a Coke and taking in the local scenery. A car passed by in front of me, then pulled over and parked. The guy hopped out and went inside, got himself a Coke and came out and invited himself to sit down at my little white plastic table.

He was deeeee-lighted to come across a waygookin out in the middle of Nowheresville, SK alongside the Frog Leg pond. He said something about how it made him proud to find some white guy like me sitting along side the road, drinking a Coke, on a late Sunday morning. He said it made him feel proud that his country was catching up with the world.

On the other hand, maybe some of the good people of Tasmania, after some 200 years of immigration, feel differently. That is not for me to say.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the last election, wasn't there a woman from the Philippines who ran for a seat in the National Assembly?

Yeah, she ran for Saenuri, the rebranded version of the Grand National Party. And she won.
goreality

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racial discrimination isn't illegal under Korean law. Such a thing would be a non issue here. Certainly the person responsible wouldn't apologize and I doubt the government would bother with it. If it became an issue here, any protests would be weak. Look what happened when a major network aired a racist news piece, months after airing a racist comedy piece. In Australia's case it's a subcontractor being contracted by a single branch to clean a grocery store. About the foreign born Korean lawmaker. She wasn't directly voted in, and few imagined saenuri would do so well as to get her in. But it's a step in the right direction. She has been very quiet and wwas hardly voted in for her activism or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: