Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this one of the most disturbing photos you'll see....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Is this one of the most disturbing photos you'll see....? Reply with quote

.....you decide. Recent N.Korean photo depicting Kim Jong Eun recently posing for a pic with a Nork family. Since assuming power, the 'Young General' has apparently been keen to bolster his image as a benevolent and kind leader. The message obviously hasnt got through to the the women he's posing with here though.....they look to be a mix of alarmed, anxious and thoroughly frightened out of their minds. The expressions on the faces of the two women in the front are particularly unsettling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/kim-jong-un-family-photo_n_1812069.html
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analyzing that picture is kind of a conundrum. Because, if they truly WERE terrified of Kim Jung Un, it seems to me that they would force themselves to smile. Since they would know that ruining the picture would be a surefire way to get sent to the camps. You'd think that at least ONE adult out of five would have had that idea.

And, it would surely be obvious to the North Koreans that the picture presents KJU in an unflattering light. So, how did it get released to the world?

I'm wondering if this is genuine, or maybe something photoshopped by South Korean intelligence(or some such interested party). Any photo experts care to offer an opinion?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, the benevolent leader pictured with a terrified family in front of a drab, grey building is manna from heaven for those who are against him.
visitorq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks like some kind of pit demon, and his smile is positively ghoulish. Just like his daddy...
luckylady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Analyzing that picture is kind of a conundrum. Because, if they truly WERE terrified of Kim Jung Un, it seems to me that they would force themselves to smile. Since they would know that ruining the picture would be a surefire way to get sent to the camps. You'd think that at least ONE adult out of five would have had that idea.

And, it would surely be obvious to the North Koreans that the picture presents KJU in an unflattering light. So, how did it get released to the world?

I'm wondering if this is genuine, or maybe something photoshopped by South Korean intelligence(or some such interested party). Any photo experts care to offer an opinion?

it could have been very easily manipulated, that's definite. your explanation also makes perfect sense, especially considering this was in the Huff Post.

why on earth would NK want such a damning photo released? of course they wouldn't.

checking the domain registry of the photos themselves comes up with an LA address covering their tracks and then points to another domain registry company in Washington, also not much info. I stopped there. Clearly it's not a photojournalist nor another media website or even a blog, as what is usually linked to in HP.

so yes, you hit it on the nail - probably a disinformation photo strictly for propaganda purposes. good one tho. had me going.
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just as likely they were so overwhelmed by their great leader's deigning to visit them that they were trying to hold back tears of joy.
falco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would any Govt agency go to the trouble of altering such a photograph though? Its not like anybody either inside nor outside N.Korea holds any allusions about the regime's oppressiveness (save for a handful of nutters on S.Korea's extreme left).
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to wonder about cultural expectations regarding photographs.

Not all people around the world have the same expectations for how one should pose for photographs.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would any Govt agency go to the trouble of altering such a photograph though? Its not like anybody either inside nor outside N.Korea holds any allusions about the regime's oppressiveness (save for a handful of nutters on S.Korea's extreme left).

Well, apart from the nutters, there's a section of South Korean public opinion which, while recognizing that the NK regime is not all that nice, is inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt on a lot of issues.

And right now, with the regime change, you probably have some of them saying stuff like "Okay, we admit the first two Kims were pretty bad, but things are really getting better up there under Jong Un". That picture, if it is a hoax, could be directed against them.

Yeah, I know it sounds kinda tenuous, but it's no crazier than believing that a photographer took a photo of Kim Jong Un standing with some people, none of the people elected to smile, and then someone with access to the photo figured it would be safe for him to post it on the internet.

And it's also possible that someone other than a government agency concocted the picture.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
You also have to wonder about cultural expectations regarding photographs.

Not all people around the world have the same expectations for how one should pose for photographs.

That's a point.

The North Koreans apparently also released this photograph, which shows chidren actually crying while being embraced by KJU. But I gather that the whole point was that they were crying "tears of joy".
falco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe in the Huff Post pic they're grimacing with joy.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: