Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincentmiser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have just bought a bike from a guy who left the country. He gave me papers - but I lost them in a move. I met him in person as well so there is no way of contacting him.

It's a 250cc, does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Last edited by vincentmiser on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do bike repair shops install accessories (such as led shift indicators, light kits, tailpipes, etc.) if I give them the parts and pay them for installation time? Id rather pay someone to do it than screw up the wiring trying it myself.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Do bike repair shops install accessories (such as led shift indicators, light kits, tailpipes, etc.) if I give them the parts and pay them for installation time? Id rather pay someone to do it than screw up the wiring trying it myself.

If you buy them from the shop, they'll install it for free. I've never had to pay for labour here.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess I should look at larger shops in motorcycle alley. The shops in my area are small and only carry locks, cargo nets and helmets as accessories.
v88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
darkjedidave wrote:

If you buy them from the shop, they'll install it for free. I've never had to pay for labour here.

Keep in mind that shops may not charge you labor but they do have a really high mark up on parts. Sometimes its better to buy from them, other times it isn't.

The markup on oil is way more than it should be.

Shops can be really reasonable for hourly rates sometimes. So if you can find the parts you want and they're really cheap that might be the way to go.
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

My buddy and I are looking to get motorcycles in Korea.

Neither of us have much experience with them, nor do we have a Korean motorcycle license.

I've been trying to find info on classes in Korea for this kind of thing, but information seems scarce and outdated.

I found the names of Nowon Driving School and Sungsan Driving School. Does anyone have any experience with these, or can recommend another one?

We aren't in Seoul, but rather Gangwondo. We are willing to travel to Seoul to complete the course, but if you know about one in Gangwon, even better.
v88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Hey all,

My buddy and I are looking to get motorcycles in Korea.

Neither of us have much experience with them, nor do we have a Korean motorcycle license.

I've been trying to find info on classes in Korea for this kind of thing, but information seems scarce and outdated.

I found the names of Nowon Driving School and Sungsan Driving School. Does anyone have any experience with these, or can recommend another one?

We aren't in Seoul, but rather Gangwondo. We are willing to travel to Seoul to complete the course, but if you know about one in Gangwon, even better.

From my experience the classes aren't that great. You can do a lot on your own to learn and the internet is a great resource. I suggest you read up on it and get out on your bike and practice. You can learn a lot in a parking lot on a 125.
killjoykimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Some advice? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on getting a 125cc BMTA Evolution
How do I get a license? Any recommended places in Seoul?
Is this a good scooter?
Oh, and a totally random question, but, about how long would it take me to go 14KM on average 125cc scooter speed?

Thanks
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v88 wrote:
From my experience the classes aren't that great. You can do a lot on your own to learn and the internet is a great resource. I suggest you read up on it and get out on your bike and practice. You can learn a lot in a parking lot on a 125.

Agreed. Lots of great vids on YouTube regarding low speed skills (since those are the most difficult to master). And practice emergency braking from all speeds.

And make sure not to grab the front brake while leaned over, haha. (I know from experience.)
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v88 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but can one legally buy a motorcycle without already having a license?

Does the Korean DMV provide the test bike?

Do you know if there's an insurance discount for taking the courses? (This is common in the U.S.)

Both my buddy and I are interested in bikes over 125cc, but I guess if we split the cost of the bike it'd be about the same as both of us taking the course.
v88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Bateman wrote:

Can one legally buy a motorcycle without already having a license?

Does the Korean DMV provide the test bike?

Do you know if there's an insurance discount for taking the courses? (This is common in the U.S.)

You can buy the bike and I think you can insure it...but don't quote me the insurance.

They provide the bike.

Never heard of a discount.
majesticmako

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got through failing the exam for the second time. i'm not really a newbie, but i have very little experience riding clunkier cruisers like the one given for the test. i had no idea how sensitive or insensitive the clutch would be so it was pretty much a shot in the dark, and my foot touched when i made the first turn. the second run was much better, but i'm not exactly getting any quality practice in the five seconds of movement that i am allowed.

i asked where i could get any practice, and they simply said find someone who has a similar bike...

anyone have a 250 mirage or something similar that i can actually ride for more than two seconds so i can get a feel for it? i'm willing to buy lunch, dinner, drinks, or straight up pay you if i can drive it around for a little while in a parking lot. i'm quick with learning balance and whatnot so that's all i'm asking.
v88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

majesticmako wrote:

anyone have a 250 mirage or something similar that i can actually ride for more than two seconds so i can get a feel for it? i'm willing to buy lunch, dinner, drinks, or straight up pay you if i can drive it around for a little while in a parking lot. i'm quick with learning balance and whatnot so that's all i'm asking.

You could also try a Daelim VS 125 (Solution) or any of the other cruiser 125s. They all handle about the same and have the same clutch and transmission.

I had to ditch my Honda and practice on a Daelim VS in order to get the hang of it. Worked well.
JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a bike and get it insured before you have a licence. Do that and get some serious practice in a low speed turns before you try the test again. Try placing your feet in different positions. At very low speed and with tight cornering having my feet well back of the pedals seems to help; weight distribution I guess, plus the leaning forward keeps your center of balance lower.
Haydn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to register without the previous owner present?

I want to buy a Daystar, but none of the local shops have any. So I might buy one off craigslist from someone who lives in Seoul. Problem is, I live down in Gunpo, about 45 minutes away.

If I understand it right, the seller would have to go their DMV and deregister it, then put their stamp on the owner transfer paper. I'd take that to my DMV and get it registered. Is that right?

I'd also have to get a truck to bring the bike back to where I live, since I don't feel comfortable enough with my experience and Seoul traffic to drive it home. Has anyone paid to get a bike delivered before?

Additionally, I'm trying to get an insurance quote from http://www.motorcyclekorea.co.kr/ but they seem to be rejecting my foreigner ID number? What's up with that?

I decided to get a bike to get me around my neighborhood and give me a little more freedom and independence from having to take taxi's and buses everywhere, but buying the damn thing is becoming one huge ballache.

Sorry for the rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 173 of 181

Jump to: