Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should alcohol be banned from flights/airports?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PatrickGHBusan



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Location: Busan (1997-2008) Canada 2008 -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my last flight to asia, a guy was denied boarding because he showed up at the boarding gate wasted....

Should they ban booze onboard or at airports? No, because the vast majority of people are smart enough not to get hosed before boarding on while onboard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seoulman69



Joined: 14 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the 'nerves' excuse is usually pure hokum, they are boozers finding a super excuse to less furtively drink at a time when they know they shouldn't.


So the OP wants to ban alcohol on flights and you claim there are times of the day you shouldn't be drinking. Why not let people do what they want and if they act inappropriately punish them accordingly.
If someone gets so drunk on a flight that they are a disturbance then they should be banned from flying for a period of time.
Punishing everyone for the actions of a minority is wrong. As is forcing your beliefs as to when is an acceptable time to drink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
On my last flight to asia, a guy was denied boarding because he showed up at the boarding gate wasted....

Should they ban booze onboard or at airports? No, because the vast majority of people are smart enough not to get hosed before boarding on while onboard.


There is a big difference in denying a drunk person entry on a flight and having a passenger get so trashed ON a flight that he endangers other passengers. On a flight, you're stuck with the passenger until the destination is reached or the plane is diverted, which is a huge blow to the rest of the passengers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schwa



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: sokcho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many diverted flights have you been on? I've ridden on many dozens of planes, yet to see it. The very rare times that occurs, it usually makes the news.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, but still, the danger is there. I'd welcome a ban on alcohol on flights and more airlines are doing just that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PatrickGHBusan



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Location: Busan (1997-2008) Canada 2008 -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
On my last flight to asia, a guy was denied boarding because he showed up at the boarding gate wasted....

Should they ban booze onboard or at airports? No, because the vast majority of people are smart enough not to get hosed before boarding on while onboard.


There is a big difference in denying a drunk person entry on a flight and having a passenger get so trashed ON a flight that he endangers other passengers. On a flight, you're stuck with the passenger until the destination is reached or the plane is diverted, which is a huge blow to the rest of the passengers.


That was pretty much my point yaya.

I think reasonable people know not to get completely wasted before boarding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about banning alcohol on flights under 3 hours? For those 10 hours overseas flights, I need that dang booze.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PatrickGHBusan



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Location: Busan (1997-2008) Canada 2008 -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
How about banning alcohol on flights under 3 hours? For those 10 hours overseas flights, I need that dang booze.


Just curious here but why do you need booze on the longer flights?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lithium



Joined: 18 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Squire wrote:
You have a bad experience with one person so now everyone should be forced to abstain from drinking on a potentially long journey. I hate this 'liberal' way of thinking


Not liberal, practical. Many passengers whose erratic behavior forced the diversion of a plane were drunk, and perhaps if alcohol hadn't been on that plane, they might not have gotten erratic.

WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer told the Calgary Sun that drinking and flying is a daily issue for commercial-airline staff to deal with.

"It will certainly happen somewhere in the system, on average, once a day," Palmer said last year, adding that hot-spot vacation flights are the worst offenders.

Laughing
"It is problematic to deal with unruly guests and we try obviously to assess this problem before it becomes a problem in the air. Inebriation is by far the most common issue."


http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/following-another-alcohol-fuelled-airline-assault-time-ban-170351872.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
silkhighway



Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this thread. I'm not much of an in-flight drinker, but I admit I enjoy a drink or two at an airport bar while waiting for my flight. Where else can you have a beer at 7:30am and not be out of place? I also find having a pint at the bar relaxing during what is usually otherwise a boring or stressful event.

This thread makes me wonder though. I have been on a couple of flights where someone who has been drinking started to get ignorant and belligerent, however not to the point where it became a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catman



Joined: 18 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada two drunk women on a flight from Toronto to Cuba managed to get their flight turned around while it was almost at their destination.
I can't believe they couldn't just strap them to the seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5O0VyOAsus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International