Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PatrickGHBusan



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Location: Busan (1997-2008) Canada 2008 -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the socks are out in full force in this thread! Laughing

Dr.Itaewon, how many accounts is that for you, 5 or 6? I lost track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmogrifier



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Location: Seoul, South Korea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:

Remember this classic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
Psy's song is in on par with this.

It really is that bad.


Now you're just being silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In PSy's defense, I think he'd be one of the first people to agree that his music lacks substance and sacrifices quality for mass appeal. He's said as much in interviews.

He goes for a compromise approach- music that is pretty generic, but his lyrics can be more outrageous and he makes sure to give people a good performance and videos that have a bit more to them.

His humor has enough self-effacing in it that you get the sense that he's mocking himself and pop music too in his video.

The dude has endured album bannings and being pilloried in the media for some of his stuff. I think he "gets it" when it comes to talk of the scuzz of the Kpop scene. He's from the tail-end of the first big KPop wave of SeoTaiji-HOT where they actually tried to do things like write their own songs, push deeper messages, challenge social norms, emphasize rock or other genres, and generally got minimal support from the music industry/government and tepid receptions from the broad base of fans. There has to be some lingering resentment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Cosmic Hum



Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: Sonic Space

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
In PSy's defense, I think he'd be one of the first people to agree that his music lacks substance and sacrifices quality for mass appeal. He's said as much in interviews.

He goes for a compromise approach- music that is pretty generic, but his lyrics can be more outrageous and he makes sure to give people a good performance and videos that have a bit more to them.

His humor has enough self-effacing in it that you get the sense that he's mocking himself and pop music too in his video.

The dude has endured album bannings and being pilloried in the media for some of his stuff. I think he "gets it" when it comes to talk of the scuzz of the Kpop scene. He's from the tail-end of the first big KPop wave of SeoTaiji-HOT where they actually tried to do things like write their own songs, push deeper messages, challenge social norms, emphasize rock or other genres, and generally got minimal support from the music industry/government and tepid receptions from the broad base of fans. There has to be some lingering resentment.


In a field that is basically driven by any and all forms of prostitution, where people are willing to do and say whatever it takes to become rich and famous...Psy seems to fit right in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
transmogrifier



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Location: Seoul, South Korea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
In PSy's defense, I think he'd be one of the first people to agree that his music lacks substance and sacrifices quality for mass appeal. He's said as much in interviews.

He goes for a compromise approach- music that is pretty generic, but his lyrics can be more outrageous and he makes sure to give people a good performance and videos that have a bit more to them.

His humor has enough self-effacing in it that you get the sense that he's mocking himself and pop music too in his video.

The dude has endured album bannings and being pilloried in the media for some of his stuff. I think he "gets it" when it comes to talk of the scuzz of the Kpop scene. He's from the tail-end of the first big KPop wave of SeoTaiji-HOT where they actually tried to do things like write their own songs, push deeper messages, challenge social norms, emphasize rock or other genres, and generally got minimal support from the music industry/government and tepid receptions from the broad base of fans. There has to be some lingering resentment.


In a field that is basically driven by any and all forms of prostitution, where people are willing to do and say whatever it takes to become rich and famous...Psy seems to fit right in.


http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/seor-gif-going-down-with-gangam-style.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Itaewon



Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Location: Guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Wow the socks are out in full force in this thread! Laughing

Dr.Itaewon, how many accounts is that for you, 5 or 6? I lost track.


Ah, another number six. Uno, son. I'm a one man show unlike you. Own your words man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
In PSy's defense, I think he'd be one of the first people to agree that his music lacks substance and sacrifices quality for mass appeal. He's said as much in interviews.

He goes for a compromise approach- music that is pretty generic, but his lyrics can be more outrageous and he makes sure to give people a good performance and videos that have a bit more to them.

His humor has enough self-effacing in it that you get the sense that he's mocking himself and pop music too in his video.

The dude has endured album bannings and being pilloried in the media for some of his stuff. I think he "gets it" when it comes to talk of the scuzz of the Kpop scene. He's from the tail-end of the first big KPop wave of SeoTaiji-HOT where they actually tried to do things like write their own songs, push deeper messages, challenge social norms, emphasize rock or other genres, and generally got minimal support from the music industry/government and tepid receptions from the broad base of fans. There has to be some lingering resentment.


In a field that is basically driven by any and all forms of prostitution, where people are willing to do and say whatever it takes to become rich and famous...Psy seems to fit right in.


95% of the people working in the world have to check their beliefs for what the company wants. Not really going to hold that against him.

Music was his major. It's not like he was spewed from a pop farm.

He could be an artists playing music from composers 200 years ago. Or in a band no one cares about in Korea. He made a choice. Seems like a reasonable one to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Chance



Joined: 30 May 2011

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's reasonable.

He just ain't worth all the hype and attention.

For kiddies who have no notion of music and culture beyond what's fed to them on the tube, he may be something of a revelation, but that's about as far as it goes.

Other people seem to have lost all sense of perspective. Korea can do better than compromised derivative pop music extolling the virtues of a rich 'oppa'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Cosmic Hum



Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: Sonic Space

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Music was his major. It's not like he was spewed from a pop farm.


This point in particular makes what he does just that much....sadder.
With an education in the field...and that is what he can come up with?
What hope is there for the ones without the education?...lol

SR...I am not disagreeing with your points...in fact...I think we agree on this.
He is doing whatever it takes to be famous.
When in Rome....right?

As to regular people checking their beliefs...do you really think this is on the same level?
This example is pretty crude...but makes the point well enough.
Most people have to kiss ass to get/keep their job.
Most "entertainers" have to take it up the ass to get/keep theirs.
It's a dog eat dog industry...and those that don't want to get eaten bend over instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mithridates



Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Location: President's office, Korean Space Agency

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chance wrote:
Other people seem to have lost all sense of perspective. Korea can do better


And does, but it's almost universally true that the best bands end up with more modest success. Korea is worse than the average country in this, and military service doesn't help things either. Luckily those bands also have a stronger and more long-term following.

Quote:
compromised derivative pop music extolling the virtues of a rich 'oppa'.


That's not what the song is about at all. The main character is a somewhat overweight guy who has deluded himself into being a rich Gangnam oppa and wants everybody else to believe it too. He spends his time at the playground, on a swan boat, on the bus with ajummas, on the toilet talking about how cool he is.

Quote:
"The YouTube video never targeted foreign countries. It was for local fans," Psy told Reuters on the sidelines of a concert at the weekend. "My goal in this music video was to look uncool until the end. I achieved it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I was saying before, you gotta respect him for swimming against the current for years, writing and producing his own stuff and standing by it instead of pulling publicity stunts in order to create the impression he's a huge international star to make himself more appealing to the highly impressionable local youth who listen most to K-pop. Few K-pop artists would be able to claim the same.

Don't expect him to take the same road as the previous K-pop acts who've attempted to make it in the US (or so they claimed) by hiring such and such's producer or songwriter in order to create the impression that they are in the same league in the eyes of American music fans.

I'd be willing to bet he'll write and produce everything himself if he releases an album in the US, and that a considerable number of the songs will be in Korean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Chance



Joined: 30 May 2011

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Dave Chance wrote:
Other people seem to have lost all sense of perspective. Korea can do better


And does, but it's almost universally true that the best bands end up with more modest success. Korea is worse than the average country in this, and military service doesn't help things either. Luckily those bands also have a stronger and more long-term following.

Quote:
compromised derivative pop music extolling the virtues of a rich 'oppa'.


That's not what the song is about at all. The main character is a somewhat overweight guy who has deluded himself into being a rich Gangnam oppa and wants everybody else to believe it too. He spends his time at the playground, on a swan boat, on the bus with ajummas, on the toilet talking about how cool he is.

Quote:
"The YouTube video never targeted foreign countries. It was for local fans," Psy told Reuters on the sidelines of a concert at the weekend. "My goal in this music video was to look uncool until the end. I achieved it."


Yeah that's from that write-up in The Atlantic (record companies and performers are very conscious of the press). Remember, Psy lived in the US and studied at Berklee School of Music, where there are courses on how to present yourself to the media.

None of that charade he put on for the article and Reuters and whoever has any of those subtle shades of subversive meanings for Koreans. It's just comedy and endearment for the fat rich oppa, who thereby keeps his place and the whole Confucian hierarchy intact.

I will acknowledge that he is clever in playing gullible westerners to a t...and at the end of the day it is all very average fare (yes better than your average K-pop, which isn't saying much) hyped up by a groomed and greased press.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you think my use of the word torture was the same as some idiot whining that teaching in Korea is slavery then you are really not as intelligent as I thought you were.


Ok apologies for not being as intelligent as you thought I was but could you please explain to me, as a complete thickie, how it's ok to make a joke about the Wondergirls torturing people but not ok to make a joke about SLP enslaving their workers. (let's assume neither you or the posters talking about SLP were speaking literally) I'd really like to know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mithridates



Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Location: President's office, Korean Space Agency

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
None of that charade he put on for the article and Reuters and whoever has any of those subtle shades of subversive meanings for Koreans.


Except, of course, when it does.

http://www.newstrend.co.kr/581

Quote:
놀이터에서 이국적인 해변 휴양지를 꿈꾸거나 쓰레기 더미가 불어 닥치는 광풍 속에서도 매끈한 미녀들과 함께 폼을 잡는 식으로 연출된 장면들을 보자. 이런 모습들은 현실이야 어찌됐건 우리가 꿈꾸는 부의 욕망을 반영하는 것이 아닐까.

강남스타일 뮤직비디오는 처음부터 끝까지 이런식으로 구성돼 있다. 현실은 완전히 무시한 채 화려함만 추구하는 모습이다. 생각해 보면 이것은 현재 경제상황이 악화돼 있는 대부분 자본주의 국가들과 접점을 가지고 있다. 소비문화가 중심이 되면서 사람들은 멋지고 화려한 것이 좋긴 한데, 현실은 갈수록 추락해 가는 상황은 보편적 공감대를 형성한다.


http://blog.daum.net/sa78pong/15594483

It's not that deep of a satire though. Its humor is more along the lines of Lazy Sunday - a parody of a certain character that otherwise really likes to be taken seriously, but not a deep parody of society itself unless you stretch the truth a bit and really want to believe that that's what it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Cosmic Hum



Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: Sonic Space

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet he'll write and produce everything himself if he releases an album in the US, and that a considerable number of the songs will be in Korean.


I'd take that bet.
Why would any of the songs be in Korean?
The American market caters to English...again...when in Rome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International