Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet he'll write and produce everything himself if he releases an album in the US, and that a considerable number of the songs will be in Korean.

I'd take that bet.
Why would any of the songs be in Korean?
The American market caters to English...again...when in Rome.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1693362/vma-2012-psy.jhtml

Watch the video. Fast forward to 1:10.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Music was his major. It's not like he was spewed from a pop farm.

This point in particular makes what he does just that much....sadder.
With an education in the field...and that is what he can come up with?
What hope is there for the ones without the education?...lol

SR...I am not disagreeing with your points...in fact...I think we agree on this.
He is doing whatever it takes to be famous.
When in Rome....right?

As to regular people checking their beliefs...do you really think this is on the same level?
This example is pretty crude...but makes the point well enough.
Most people have to kiss ass to get/keep their job.
Most "entertainers" have to take it up the ass to get/keep theirs.
It's a dog eat dog industry...and those that don't want to get eaten bend over instead.

You could say that about the majority of English teachers in Korea.

Majored in Finance, Computer Science, Psychology, Marketing...but they are here teaching English. That's the best they could do? How sad.

Or you could stop caring about how other people live.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

SR...I am not disagreeing with your points...in fact...I think we agree on this.
When in Rome....right?

As to regular people checking their beliefs...do you really think this is on the same level?
It's a dog eat dog industry...and those that don't want to get eaten bend over instead.

Majored in Finance, Computer Science, Psychology, Marketing...but they are here teaching English. That's the best they could do? How sad.

Actually, it isn't saying anything like that at all.
It would be more like saying...he has a teaching degree...yet his teaching is laughable...how sad. See the difference?
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy. If he stays in Korea he'll be forced to perform that dance now, or laugh at other people performing it, wherever he goes for the rest of his natural life.

He's been around for a long time, and been pretty successful. This won't happen.

I'm just amazed at the number of people on this blog who seem to take any success by Koreans personally and seem to wish them failure, or for them to fall on their asses as soon as possible.

It's weird frankly.

i've been wondering what korea has done to all these haters.
Or they have problems with themselves?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
highstreet wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

When in Rome....right?

It would be more like saying...he has a teaching degree...yet his teaching is laughable...how sad. See the difference?

So in other words he's like some NET in Korea who despite perhaps having talent, is forced to sing stupid songs and play stupid games because that's what his bosses want and that's what won't put the kids to sleep. Instead they try their best by putting in things to push real education here and there where they can get away with it.

Yeah, totally reasonable for us to cast stones at this guy.

Basically he's a guy trying to make a buck and at the same time not be a total sell-out. That awful, awful man.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

In my years here I've known a few education-majors who've really struck out as English teachers.

I think that having a background in education would really give someone a heads up (especially for the younger teachers) but it shouldn't be a knock on someone who came here on an "unrelated" degree to teach English. A few of the best teachers that I personally know are on "unrelated" majors. Experience > Degree Major.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that having a background in education would really give someone a heads up (especially for the younger teachers) but it shouldn't be a knock on someone who came here on an "unrelated" degree to teach English. A few of the best teachers that I personally know are on "unrelated" majors. Experience > Degree Major.

I've heard this a few times on here, usually from people with no formal training. They often say the best teachers they know have no formal training but never really say how they came to this conclusion. Have they observed their lessons, if so what is their assessment criteria? If they themselves have no formal training, what are they basing the teacher's abilities on? Are they just going on how popular these teachers seem to be with the students or how keen they sound during discussions on teaching, or even how much they blow their own trumpets. Just curious.
happiness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ill add in.

Awesome for Psy (been a fan for a while), but is the song famous or the dance? To me, it looks like the dance is.

Also, I too love that a fat, near approaching middle age guy is the one who became a TRUE "global star" with a funny dance, while Bi, whose cut and cool and very talented, was in 2 Hollywood films, didnt do very well. Same for Storm Shadow...I liked GI JOE.

But, I think a big point is, that PSY does everything himself, and THAT means he's creative. Im sure in Korea, noone will point out that he does his own thing. I remember when "creativity hagwons" started to pop up here maybe 5 years back, but I dont see them now..hmmm.

Also, will the locals notice that the dance is silly and fun. Will people realize Psy's nationality or Korea or any of that? Will people take Korea seriously or just like the dance. Im sure someone will google Gangnam, of course...

Then again, I personally never really take a locals nationalism or bragging seriously. I just take it as the local culture of heirarchy/oneupisms. Most young people dont read much, dont vote, and dont take part in changing their country. Thats true nationalism, imo

AFTER ALL, this is all a branding game to raise Koreas profile and get tourist dollars, but for PSY, its HIS music career. His own, not for his country....
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
highstreet wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

When in Rome....right?

Your right.

What I said to describe NETs, is much worse. Majored in A, couldn't hack it, so resorted to working in B.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
highstreet wrote:

In my years here I've known a few education-majors who've really struck out as English teachers.

While this is possible, if I was shelling out cash for a tutor for my child, I would choose the teacher with a teaching background rather than the one without.

And no one is "knocking" NETs, especially not me.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
They often say the best teachers they know have no formal training but never really say how they came to this conclusion. Have they observed their lessons, if so what is their assessment criteria?

I personally wouldn't go as far as to say that the best teachers are all not education-majors (that's just silly) I can just speak from my experience. Out of the three best teachers that I know personally...the first has a history major but has been here 10+ years, the second an elementary-education major and the third I have no idea but IIRC it was something totally unrelated (likewise he has been in Korea 5+ years).

The only common thread between all three is the fact that they all have VERY strong work-ethics. Much much stronger than the average ESL'er in Korea.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
So in other words he's like some NET in Korea who despite perhaps having talent, is forced to sing stupid songs and play stupid games because that's what his bosses want and that's what won't put the kids to sleep. Instead they try their best by putting in things to push real education here and there where they can get away with it.

Yeah, totally reasonable for us to cast stones at this guy.

Basically he's a guy trying to make a buck and at the same time not be a total sell-out. That awful, awful man.

Again...I agree with your points here...except perhaps the bolded part.

...can he be a sell out?
What does he stand for that he has stood up for...and then sold out on?
He panders to the lowest common denominator...and it worked for him.
That doesn't make him an awful person. In fact...it makes him quite ordinary in the entertainment field in that regard.
mayorgc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Psy's Recent Popularity Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
As we know "Psy's music is dominating the world" but I never heard Gangnam Style until it was passed along on the local expat blogs. Then it was popping up on CNN, The Chive, Cracked, and various other foreign media outlets. Only after that did I start hearing it everywhere in Korea and students started telling me about it. Now I hear it being played in classrooms by teachers who tell their students how it is now popular everywhere.

My question is: Was the song huge here first then spread overseas? Or did Koreans only take notice of it when it received international praise and attention?

It was gaining traction in Korea first, then spread to the west and synergistically (is that even a word?) it blew up all over the world.

Yes, his "15 minutes" are probably up, but what he was able to do was pretty impressive when you think about it. He created the song/video all by himself, released it to his own fans, and it just blew up across the globe.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belief is he happened to play up to the whole "those wacky Asians" syndrome. You know, like how Japan has been hyped up among kids due to anime and freaky TV shows and the like. People in the West think Asians do weird crap and PSY kind of inadvertently played up to that. That's what I think, at least.

You've got this Asian dude, and he's doing this wacky dance and pooping and appearing in kind of dumb situations. Toss in a few hot chicks and other weird dancing. Give it a catchy beat.

The reason people like Rain and the Wonder Girls will never go mainstream in the West is because they take themselves too seriously. Make a video where old pervs are chasing after them and they're fighting Taekwon V in some goofy fight using terrible English and YouTube will probably be all over it.

I've always like PSY so I don't mind his success, but I don't like pop in general and am quite sick of hearing the song by now.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
am quite sick of hearing the song by now.

Every day in the gym, sometimes a couple times in the same hour! Shocked

It's like a torture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: