Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy a router in America?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdog2050

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Should I buy a router in America? Reply with quote

Hey there,

I already live in Korea but I'm visiting the states. I really want to buy a new wi-fi router here because I've always been disatisfied with routers in Korea. My concern is whether or not the voltage would ruin the router.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most routers use a wall adapter, so it's only a matter of finding one in Korea that spits out the same voltage and enough current with the right size pins. Or it's possible that the adapter your router comes with may be compatible with up to 240v, and you'll only need a plug adapter.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want ease of use and English, consider getting it back in the states. Consider getting a router that can be upgraded to use specialty software/firmware. They need a special chipset.

Here in Korea, most routers will be Korean made or firmware. They only English ones I have seen generally (not gmarket) is Costco and a LevelOne brand from the Comcast stores around Korea.

Another option is consider dealextreme.com They have a wide variety of routers to suit any need.
EricB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for a router a few years ago, most of the ones I checked out online (mostly D-Link) ended up being available in Korea. English software can easily be downloaded from the manufacturer website if it isn't included on the installation CD. Do some research and know what you want, then check out Yongsan. A lot of the time they don't have the things I'm looking for out on the shelf, but if you ask they call around and get it for you. You should also check out Danawa first to see if anyone is advertising the model you're looking for. Definitely do NOT get the ubiquitous (in Korea) ipTime router. It will be the only one most shops have out on the shelves. They have no English versions of software available even online.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo routers are English here.

Their cheapest model goes for 15 to 20k on gmarket and is in English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: