Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The iPhone 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: The iPhone 5 Reply with quote

As I'm sure most of you reading this are aware, the iPhone 5 has been announced and will be out relatively soon. Some are criticizing it for not having any revolutionary features: just a larger screen, better battery, LTE capability, etc.

I wish that the screen were larger, but overall my take is that it's what I was expecting, so I'm not disappointed aside from the screen size. I currently have a Galaxy SI and it has a lot of minor annoying problems that my iPhone-using friends don't seem to have. Also, I recently bought a Macbook Air, so that's another reason for me to get the new iPhone.

Also, I have some questions for the technologically competent:
- Does Siri work in Korea, either in English or Korean?
- How much do LTE plans cost? Is there an unlimited data plan like there is for the 3G network?
- How well does the map function (including the voice telling you where and when to turn) work in Korea? I do a lot of cycling and a good map function would be most useful.

Anyway, what do other people think of the iPhone 5?
http://www.apple.com/iphone/
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The iPhone 5 Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Anyway, what do other people think of the iPhone 5?
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

It seems like a nice enough iphone...compared to other iphones.

As their own advertising suggests.
"The biggest thing to happen to iphone since iphone."

Compared to other smartphones...completely underwhelming.

I can see why they need to go after the lawsuits.
Samsung sales alone would dominate this thing.
furtakk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Quite underwhelming. Looks nice but the screen could be a bit bigger. I think the major issue is the OS. iOS is quick and stable, but really needs an upgrade. There's a lot more exciting stuff happening with Android and even the new Windows 8 phones.
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet Apple consistently dominates profits.

I think its another evolutionary improvement and a solid phone. I won't be upgrading my 4S though, I plan to keep it until it no longer does what I require.

Smartphones have developed to the point where it's no longer about the specs. Quadcore this, Screen size that don't matter all that much. Far more important are the OS experience, and the Apps. Apple has the best for what I want to use a phone for.

I think too many people were expecting Apple to release gamechanging products every year. In reality we've seen 4 from Apple in the last 12 years. The Ipod, the PowerPC to Intel switch, the iPhone and the iPad. That's far more than most companies do in any period.

A return to the baseline of small improvements is far more likely from Apple now. The next big thing is in someone's garage.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for tactile feel and until I hold an iPhone 5 in my hand I won't know whether I'll upgrade from my 4s or not. I like the Galaxy phones but they really don't feel as comfortable to my Hobbit hands as an 4/4S does.

I do agree, iOS is getting a little long in the tooth. I don't need it to have a thousand flying icons and animated wallpapers but some more control would be nice. Some of the Android phones my friends have customized look about as slick as a teenager's myspace page. Heck, even the slide to unlock thing is starting to bother me.

Bigger screen, faster CPU aren't huge incentives for me to upgrade, but if I can sell my 8 month old unlocked 16gb 4s for a few hundred I might be able to convince myself to do it.
Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already out of date. I'm not even considering getting one.
TL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs seem similar to S2?
thurst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be ridiculous. it will always be about specs because new software keeps coming out that pushes the hardware. i was using kakao while surfing twitter & facebook on my phone (vega ) 18 months ago and it wasn't blazing fast...now i can barely open my reuters while kakao'ing without it locking up because upgraded apps require more RAM for their improved features. this extends to iphones, tablets and computers in general.

all that aside, you're S1 has problems because it's old. i'd cop the s3 or even one of the vega or lg phones over an iphone because i coming from WM and android phones, iOS never feels right to me....that an itunes is POS. but if you have a mac, you might as well get an iphone.
six

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.redmondpie.com/speed-test-iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-video/

What was that about outdated? Sorry, I'm switching to the iPhone 5 now, so sick of my Android experience now.[/url]
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

six wrote:
http://www.redmondpie.com/speed-test-iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-video/

What was that about outdated? Sorry, I'm switching to the iPhone 5 now, so sick of my Android experience now.[/url]

If you want to try to the IPhone 5...great.
But I hope it wasn't because of the really poorly written and oh so predictably biased report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: