Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breast-feeding while lecturing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Breast-feeding while lecturing Reply with quote

I don't think anything is wrong with what she did.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/09/12/breastfeeding-professor-adrienne-pine-american-university

Breast in class? Professor nurses during lecture

An assistant professor at American University in Washington, D.C. has caused quite a stir by breastfeeding her baby while giving a lecture to students.

According to HLN affiliate WJLA, the feeding took place on the first day of Adrienne Pine's "Sex, Gender, and Culture" class about two weeks ago.

Pine had written on a blog that morning that her baby girl was sick with a fever and couldn't be taken to daycare, but that she didn't want to cancel the first day of class.

When Pine was contacted by the campus newspaper about the incident, she wrote on her blog: "I was shocked and annoyed that this would be considered newsworthy."

While some students supported the professor, others didn't think her actions were appropriate for the classroom. "I feel like it was really unprofessional of her," said American senior Jeff Williams. "I feel like she should have at least stepped out of the room."
The university, for its part, issued a statement reading, in part: "AU does not have a policy that specifically addresses breast-feeding. We're guided by federal and DC law, which do not prohibit or allow breast-feeding in certain environments."
oppa637

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the baby doing in the class. I didn't pay over 20k in tuition a year to have a professor decide to feed her kid.

Baby is a distraction. What if students brought their kids to class with them?
Titus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unprofessional and she's just trying to make a point.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she could have cancelled the class. Bringing a sick baby into your work is not the best of ideas.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:
I didn't pay over 20k in tuition a year to have a professor decide to feed her kid.

Hopefully you didn't pay 20k in tuition to take "Sex, Gender, and Culture," either, though to be fair, even if you don't sign up for the course some of your tuition dollars are probably going to support it. Seriously, there's this gigantic tumor hanging off of the side of the humanities right now that exists solely to appease a certain segment of society by pretending their emotional issues are actual academic subjects of discourse.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have gotten the classic line from teacher for chewing gum

"Did you bring enough for everyone?"

I kid, I kid.

Quote:
Hopefully you didn't pay 20k in tuition to take "Sex, Gender, and Culture," either, though to be fair, even if you don't sign up for the course some of your tuition dollars are probably going to support it. Seriously, there's this gigantic tumor hanging off of the side of the humanities right now that exists solely to appease a certain segment of society by pretending their emotional issues are actual academic subjects of discourse.

Actually there might actually be fair value in such a class if someone is going into marketing/management/public relations/communications/journalism/political science and the like.

Sex, Gender, and Culture sell. Tune your message right and you can sell millions of dollars in useless crap to moronic men and women.

All it takes is putting Craig "Ironhead" Hayward speaking aggressively about body wash for idiot guys to go "well if Ironhead can use body wash and a shower scrunchie, I cant too". Or learn why women feel insecure about certain body issues and use those insecurities to get them to buy some chemical useless beauty crap your lab has cooked up.

Seems more relevant than reading Kierkegaard or "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" or the Battle of Solferino.

I'm only slightly exaggerating and playing this up.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boooooo. Hisssssss.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Actually there might actually be fair value in such a class if someone is going into marketing/management/public relations/communications/journalism/political science and the like.

Sex, Gender, and Culture sell. Tune your message right and you can sell millions of dollars in useless crap to moronic men and women.

The focus of our universites should assuredly not lie in accommodating such behavior.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

The focus of our universites should assuredly not lie in accommodating such behavior.

True in the case of any university whose focus is academics.

But that doesn't mean it's a useless course. Paying attention in that course can be the difference in a slip of the tongue that could get you fired. Or as I said, allow you to charge 300% markup on stuff.

Right vs. Wrong and Useful are two different things entirely.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pine had written on a blog that morning that her baby girl was sick with a fever and couldn't be taken to daycare, but that she didn't want to cancel the first day of class.

So the baby is too sick with fever to go to daycare.
Well...hell...here is a good idea.
Bring it to a different kind of daycare...one full of cold/flu carrying university students...and proceed to breast feed exposing it further to multiple unknown contagions.
The health issues alone suggest this woman is a bit off.
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain how breastfeeding a baby will expose it to multiple unknown contagions.

I think its funny that some are complaining about the disruption to their education. Like cancelling a class would be less disruption.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWayTraffic wrote:
Please explain how breastfeeding a baby will expose it to multiple unknown contagions.

I think its funny that some are complaining about the disruption to their education. Like cancelling a class would be less disruption.

Agreed. I don't find anything wrong with this.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWayTraffic wrote:

hmm...ok...let me ask you this.
Why couldn't the baby be taken to daycare?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
OneWayTraffic wrote:

aerosals and fomites from the baby to the other babies.

Why should I a student care if someone breast feeds thier baby. All I care about is that they can teach the class.
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
OneWayTraffic wrote:

A breastfed baby may not necessarily take milk from a bottle. We had that problem; our daughter would vomit it out.

Not all daycares have casual drop offs.

Maybe she should have taken it to daycare. But it is hardly newsworthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: