Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps in iOS 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Maps in iOS 6 Reply with quote

If you haven't yet downloaded iOS 6 and you were a regular user of Google Maps in iOS 5, DON'T!

It sucks, and I know it's getting bad press for the 3D imaging mistakes, but for us in Korea it has become unusuable. I'm pretty pissed off. Fingers crossed the Google Maps app will be along soon, if Apple let it through.

The rest of iOS 6 is okay, panorama is awesome. App Store is weirding me out.
Triple007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is terrible. I am in the US until December but I just use Bing maps now. It does a really good job of taking the place of google maps. Not sure if it is available in Korea.
john110375

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like it either so I downgraded back to 5.1.1
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a disaster. I've been an Apple user since 2000 and I honestly can't remember a launch that received such negative press, and deserved it, as this. I grew up down the street from Steve Jobs, and on the very maps app there are phantom coffee shops, italian joints, and an few restaurants in the middle of quite tree lined suburban streets where I'm certain none exist. It's freakin' bizarre.

There are always people who will hate on Apple for a variety of reasons, but as a lot of the tech pundits have said, without knowing the behind the scenes negations between Apple and Google, and without Apple behind up front about it, makes Apple look like they've put their company priorities ahead of the consumers.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you've got Daum and Naver maps apps which are even better than Google thanks to Road View (which, of course, is a copy of Google's Street View) and the Korean localization, higher detailed imagery, etc.

Here in Canada there is nothing yet to replace Google since nobody bothered to compete with Google.
Savant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an iPhone 4S (previously 3GS) and iPad user, Apple Maps is just horrible to use in Korea.

Get your finger out Apple and fix it promptly.
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the "it just works" brigade now?
Very Happy
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
As an iPhone 4S (previously 3GS) and iPad user, Apple Maps is just horrible to use in Korea.

As mentioned above, just use the Naver or Daum maps.
smithy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Savant wrote:

This is possible for navigation (if you have basic Korean ability) but using Google Maps on iOS5 allowed you to share locations with your friends easily, English language search for many things, integration with the public transportation system etc. Unless you read and write Korean fairly well, this is quite difficult to do on Naver and Daum.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy wrote:
Unless you read and write Korean fairly well, this is quite difficult to do on Naver and Daum.

The level of Korean required to read place names in Korean can be accomplished quite easily in a month or two. I remember coming here in 2008 and buying a big country map (in Korean) the second day I was here and thinking that it'd take forever to read it. Took about a month before it was effortless.

And very much worth the effort to use Daum and Naver maps.

You're definitely right about lack of Google maps for sharing stuff with non-Korean speakers, though. I very much miss it already.
Savant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
Savant wrote:

This is possible for navigation (if you have basic Korean ability) but using Google Maps on iOS5 allowed you to share locations with your friends easily, English language search for many things, integration with the public transportation system etc. Unless you read and write Korean fairly well, this is quite difficult to do on Naver and Daum.

Yes. Some of my subway apps (e.g. Jihachul) were linked with Google Maps so it made it very easy to check the vicinity around the subway stations that I was going to. Also, it was helpful for finding the right exit that I needed.

Now, Apple Maps can't do sh!t. Only tells you approximately where there is a subway station and doesn't list the exits.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Maps still works perfectly well on internet browsers. The app isn't the only way to get it!

I do appreciate Apple's attempt to move to an open-source map service, but they did it WAY too soon.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw iOS 6! Anyone know how to get the English app store back after upgrading? I'm stuck in Korean.

Edit: Immediately after I wrote this post it fixed itself...
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Apple maps was never great for Korea, and Daum was/is my go to for detailed places, even hiking.

That said, at least the previous version had subway lines on the map with subway exits so I could basically just whip it out and know where to go. This version doesn't even have subway lines.
thurst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ apple and open source in the same sentence.good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: