Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Osaka - How Much Money?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Osaka - How Much Money? Reply with quote

Simple question. Outside of hotels, how much won should I plan to bring for my Chuseok trip (Sat PM - early Wed AM).

I do like to go out to dinner and drink and that is what I spend my money on haha, not gifts or shopping.

We plan to go to Kyoto for the day and to Kobe for lunch one day, too. How much are train tickets on average?

I was thinking 300,000 KRW play money? (Again, I have separate funds for the hotel.)

Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Osaka - How Much Money? Reply with quote

mikesaidyes wrote:
Simple question. Outside of hotels, how much won should I plan to bring for my Chuseok trip (Sat PM - early Wed AM).

I do like to go out to dinner and drink and that is what I spend my money on haha, not gifts or shopping.

We plan to go to Kyoto for the day and to Kobe for lunch one day, too. How much are train tickets on average?

I was thinking 300,000 KRW play money? (Again, I have separate funds for the hotel.)

Thanks!

With travel and nightlife (as a tourist) you can expect to spend about 12,000-15,000 YEN per day (not including hotels).

Exchange your won to YEN in Korea. Do NOT take won to Japan - they have the same value as toilet paper and are very hard to exchange (even at the airport in Osaka).

Credit cards are widely accepted.

grnmle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lived in Kyoto for two years. I went down to Osaka a few times.

I go back a couple times a year now and I stay away from Osaka. It's just like being in Seoul. Big and dirty. Not really convenient to get around. Not a hell of a lot to see.

Even the shopping in Osaka isn't spectacular. The best shopping is the department stores around Osaka Station.

Kyoto is a far, far nicer place to spend your time. I spent two years there, and I still haven't seen everything I want to see. In the north there are temples hidden away in forests. In the east there is a walk connecting a few UN Heritage sites, along the way you should see a few Geisha.
In the west of the city there are endless temples, gardens and even a monkey park at the top of a mountain.

In the middle of the city, there is the Imperial palace (free to visit) and its expansive grounds and Nijo Castle, with its impressive buildings and garden. The Kamo river is not far away, where you can sit and relax.

Osaka has a rebuilt castle. It has an Aquarium, that my friend says is a joke. It has a few other things you can get to on a subway with a couple transfers.

Kobe is cool. If you take my advice, though, you're best to avoid it. There are some cool 'foreign' houses at the top of a big hill, built by the English or Germans... I forget who now and don't care to find out. There's a botanical garden at the top of a mountain, I never made it too. There's a merry go round I did go on with my lady friend. Unless, you just want to check off cities you've been to there's no real reason to go. Think Busan except much cleaner, but with no beaches.

The food everywhere is pretty well equal. Unless, you know someone to take you out in Osaka, again you are better off going to Kyoto. Instead of spending your time walking around endless 20-40 story buildings you can walk down charming streets with buildings usually never more than 2-3 stories.

Either way, the exchange rate is not good. There are a million great guesthouses in Kyoto that are reasonably priced. In Osaka, if you want reasonable, you can stay at a Toyokoo Inn.

Do yourself a favor by not spending anytime in Osaka.
waynehead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to do my own sort of Cohiba's rule, since I feel like I've written this more than a few times.

For going to Japan, a good rule of thumb is to make a reasonable estimate of the amount of money you'll need.

Then take double that amount.

You'll probably need it.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes it's almost time. Isn't withdrawing cash at the ATM going to give me the best rate? My ATM card DOES work overseas. It has in Taiwan, Vietnam and the US.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem in Japan would be finding an ATM that takes foreign cards. They are, in fact, slightly less common even than they are in Korea.

Nearly all Japanese ATMs will display VISA and other well known card symbols, but will only accept cards wit those symbols that were issued in Japan.

It is a lot easier than it used to be to use a foreign ATM card, though, because Japan Post Office ATMs now all take foreign cards. So that would be your best bet, although be aware that post office ATM booths will close fairly early unless it's a main post office - possibly as early as 5pm and, if it's a smaller branch post office, may not open at all on weekends.

Convenience store ATMs sometimes also take foreign cards, but those machines will nearly always hit you with a substantial handling charge for the transaction.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-class rambler wrote:
Your problem in Japan would be finding an ATM that takes foreign cards. They are, in fact, slightly less common even than they are in Korea.

Nearly all Japanese ATMs will display VISA and other well known card symbols, but will only accept cards wit those symbols that were issued in Japan.

It is a lot easier than it used to be to use a foreign ATM card, though, because Japan Post Office ATMs now all take foreign cards. So that would be your best bet, although be aware that post office ATM booths will close fairly early unless it's a main post office - possibly as early as 5pm and, if it's a smaller branch post office, may not open at all on weekends.

Convenience store ATMs sometimes also take foreign cards, but those machines will nearly always hit you with a substantial handling charge for the transaction.

Yeah, it's not that hard- just go to the post office and use one of its ATM machines. Post offices are everywhere. The airport will definitely have international ATM machines as well.

And yes, the rate you get from ATMs is generally the best. The downside is if your bank charges a fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: