Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it easy to install English Windows on a Korean ultrabook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inskorea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Is it easy to install English Windows on a Korean ultrabook? Reply with quote

I plan on using an external CD drive to do a fresh install on a Korean ultrabook.
Thing is, will I lose any features/functions that the ultrabook was originally using before a complete fesh install?

I never tried this before Thanks!
dazzed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing you'll lose is the Korean text in the core system. Don't forget to get all the drivers for your ultrabook before formatting the computer. It's like installing any windows to any other computers. No worries. You can get the drivers from the manufacture's website or CD if it came with one.
crosbystillsstash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes , grab all the drivers from the manufacturer's website, or use an application like driver genius to back them up before you begin.
inskorea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crosbystillsstash wrote:
yes , grab all the drivers from the manufacturer's website, or use an application like driver genius to back them up before you begin.

Ok. Is driver genius a online program?
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inskorea wrote:
crosbystillsstash wrote:

Ok. Is driver genius a online program?

Advice: A Google search is a million times faster for this type of question.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running some versions of Windows 7 then you can switch the operating system language. If your version doesn't have this feature, you can still install a program that will allow you to do so. The language modules come from Microsoft. The feature is disabled in some versions of Win 7 (e.g. the home version) so with those, you need something like Vistalizator to sort of force Windows to accept the new language module. It might be easier for you to do this than to reinstall Windows (and all the rest of your software).
Dalton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea if you are concerned about bricking your system is to download a Linux live CD. Ubuntu or (Mint mate version).

You just put in the CD, reboot and select to boot from CD or perhaps you know the F key to select the boot drive from a list. It takes a few minutes but your system will boot with a familiar look and Firefox to surf. It's an elegant way to search for solutions on-line if your re-install fails.

You can use a USB instead of a CD. It's light, free, available all over the net. Just burn it to the medium you want. I recommend a CD.

You can install it in pretty much every language the world offers. At login you just select a language if you've installed it. I have Canadian English for me and Vietnamese for my wife. The keyboard layout can be selected at log in as well if wish. But you better know what it is. Passwords are a beach if you don't. Linux is way beyond MS capabilities in this regard.
teachal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just wait for Win 8, which is supposed to have full language switch functions on all versions.
Dalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be but I installed the recent pre-retail version and saw no evidence of that. It certainly wasn't as obvious or easy as separately selecting the menu and keyboard language at log in as one can do with many common Linux distros. I don't recall previous Window OSs having the capability of having permanent user log ins with different menu or keyboard languages.

Keyboard switching alone with MS was pretty easy as I recall. I often switched from English to Hangul for e-mails or this board. I could not switch from a Korean menu installation to an English menu version without purchasing and re-installing the English version on previous MS OSs.

MS fans should look into that with a search. Better than waiting and hoping eh? That could be expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: