Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another E2 - D10 visa question!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchCraig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Another E2 - D10 visa question! Reply with quote

Hello, my apologies for posting another D10 visa question. I know there are a few there on here but none completely related to my question. If anyone could give me some information I would really appreciate it!

Here's what I want to do:

I'm leaving Ulsan in 4 weeks. I have worked here for coming up to 1 year. I have my flight booked back to Scotland. I will go home and whilst I am there, I will look for jobs in Seoul. Hopefully I will have found a job and will head back to Korea in January 2013.

So with my situation, what do I need. Being positive about the situation I guess it will be easier for me seeing as I am leaving the country. But maybe not!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Mitch
MitchCraig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even say what I wanted to do haha! I want to change my E2 visa to my D10 visa so that I don't have to get all those documents organised again for when I want to come back.

Thanks again!
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may not have enough time. I understand they have to give you another ARC. So, if you aren't in Korea, I am not sure what you can do.
MitchCraig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually I am in Korea just now and will continue to be here for 4 weeks. Going to the immigration office on Thursday to change the visa.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I am not sure if 4 weeks is enough or not. I have seen a few other threads where people claim it only took 2 weeks, but does your current contract need to end before you change? Are you able to get a release letter?

Ask immigration.
MitchCraig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from the other threads I won't need a letter o release because I am completing my contract. And yeah apparently you can apply to change it up to one month before completion.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchCraig wrote:
As far as I can tell from the other threads I won't need a letter o release because I am completing my contract. And yeah apparently you can apply to change it up to one month before completion.

Just helped a friend today try to get a D-10. He was refused one and told to come back later. I thought it was going to happen. As today was his last day of employment, but his ARC expires on the 28th. He was told to come back a couple day before the end to apply again.

Right now, two of the main things with D-10 are timing and permission.

Will post again later on what happens.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchCraig wrote:

Not usually.

They MAY, at the immigration officer's discretion, process it up to 7 days prior to the completion of your contract (but you will NOT legally be allowed to work to complete your contract) and can delay it until after your contract termination and up until just prior to your ARC expiry.

TravelinSig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation, but a little further ahead in the process.

I completed my contract on 8/31. Without going to the immi office beforehand I went home from 9/4-9/19. When departing Korea, they asked if I was returning. I said yes and they allowed me to keep my arc card. On my return, they simply gave me an entry stamp. (im not entirely sure if this is considered a tourist visa stamp or not, it's the same entry stamp I received when returning from vacation.)
On my e2 visa the 입국만료일/final entry date is 2012/09/19 and the expiry date on my arc card was 2012/10/01. On 2012/09/26 I went to immi to see if I could get the d10. They just asked for:
60k krw
Made me hand over the arc
A financial & job search plan
Copies of my e2 visa & passport info pages.

They said it would take 3 weeks to process. Not knowing the status of my d10 application, I had a prospective employer call today and ask. Through her broken English and my low Korean I gathered that the d10 was approved but in order to get it switched back to another e2 visa I would have to get a letter of release from my previous school.

Although we agreed to recontract, I suddenly changed my mind 4 weeks before the contract ended. (coteacher problems) The principal despises me now because I kind of screwed him over. I uninvitedly walked into his office today with a pre-typed hanguel LORand before I could even approach his desk he was angrily shooed me away.

Is the school legally required to grant me a LOR since I successfully completed the contract? If so, how should I go about demanding this from them.
More importantly, Why is a letter of release not required to obtain a d10 but it is required once the d10 holder finds a job and attempts to change the d10 back to an e2?
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravelinSig wrote:

I completed my contract on 8/31. Without going to the immi office beforehand I went home from 9/4-9/19. When departing Korea, they asked if I was returning. I said yes and they allowed me to keep my arc card. On my return, they simply gave me an entry stamp. (im not entirely sure if this is considered a tourist visa stamp or not, it's the same entry stamp I received when returning from vacation.)
On my e2 visa the 입국만료일/final entry date is 2012/09/19 and the expiry date on my arc card was 2012/10/01. On 2012/09/26 I went to immi to see if I could get the d10. They just asked for:
60k krw

They said it would take 3 weeks to process. Not knowing the status of my d10 application, I had a prospective employer call today and ask. Through her broken English and my low Korean I gathered that the d10 was approved but in order to get it switched back to another e2 visa I would have to get a letter of release from my previous school.

Although we agreed to recontract, I suddenly changed my mind 4 weeks before the contract ended. (coteacher problems) The principal despises me now because I kind of screwed him over. I uninvitedly walked into his office today with a pre-typed hanguel LORand before I could even approach his desk he was angrily shooed me away.

Is the school legally required to grant me a LOR since I successfully completed the contract? If so, how should I go about demanding this from them.
More importantly, Why is a letter of release not required to obtain a d10 but it is required once the d10 holder finds a job and attempts to change the d10 back to an e2?

Sorry quick response here. Sorry if I mess some things up.

I think you are getting conflicting information for the prospective employee. Since you already have the D-10 you do not need a LOR.

A D10 is like a transfer of visa at end of contract.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
MitchCraig wrote:

Not usually.

They MAY, at the immigration officer's discretion, process it up to 7 days prior to the completion of your contract (but you will NOT legally be allowed to work to complete your contract) and can delay it until after your contract termination and up until just prior to your ARC expiry.

Please clear this up. When are you able to apply for one of these? Is it on the last day of your E2, a week before, or after the E2 expires? These posts from others are confusing. Also, when you are on a D2, do you have to stay in the country the entire time?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Please clear this up. When are you able to apply for one of these? Is it on the last day of your E2, a week before, or after the E2 expires? These posts from others are confusing. Also, when you are on a D2, do you have to stay in the country the entire time?

The confusion lies in the simple fact that the immigration officer has some leeway and can, at their discretion, change your status a week before, the last day of, or up to 30 days after the end of your contract PROVIDED your ARC remains valid.

IF you change your status from E2 to D10 you CANNOT legally continue to work for your old employer (effectively terminating your legal employment at the time of your change of status) and may have a detrimental effect on your end of contract benefits.

No, you do not have to stay in the country for the entire time.

TravelinSig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
TravelinSig wrote:

60k krw

Sorry quick response here. Sorry if I mess some things up.

I think you are getting conflicting information for the prospective employee. Since you already have the D-10 you do not need a LOR.

A D10 is like a transfer of visa at end of contract.

Yes, I just called immi again on my own and you are correct.
A "Letter of Release" is not needed for a d10 visa or to get a new e2 visa.
To change the d10 visa back to another e2 visa, one must:
-pay an additional 60,000 KRW fee
-give back ARC showing the d10 status
-present your passport
-1 new passport photo
-contract
* your new employer will also have to provide personal info as well.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A "Letter of Release" is not needed for a d10 visa

That is good news Very Happy

Ask in advance though, hopefully the officer feels the same when others have to get a D10 as well.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, people are confusing the requirements. A LOR is not needed when a person finishes a contract. Through it is nice to have to make things go smoother. If you are quitting a job or fired from a job, then you will likely need the D-10.

Of course this does not affect the OP as he already has one. I just said, the LOR is not needed to go from D10 to E2. The confusion is the future employee or recruiter was confused. Which is surprising as you expect them to know these things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: