Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gary Johnson - Libertarian for President - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the test, I side 90% with Kuros and 88% with Fox. http://www.isidewith.com/results/136266427 Obviously my top pick for the President should be Kuros with Fox as VP.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, we're putting Fox at the top of the ticket. I don't want Ya-Ta Boy to assassinate me.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
No, no, we're putting Fox at the top of the ticket. I don't want Ya-Ta Boy to assassinate me.

Good point. I'll bet his test puts him at 100% with the Dem. party, and if it didn't he would retake until he passed.
jaykimf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon 89% Obama 87%, Stein 83%, Fox 83%, Kuros 77%, Johnson 51%, Romney 0%. So much for there being no difference between Obama and Romney.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaykimf wrote:
So much for there being no difference between Obama and Romney.

I feel somewhat the same way -- the "Obama is exactly the same as Bush/Romney" meme on this forum is somewhat overstated -- but it's worth remembering two things:

1) Some of Romney's current "stances" are outright lies which the survey none the less takes seriously. A simple example: on the issue of whether the debt ceiling should be raised, Romney says no according to this survey. Yet President Romney would almost assuredly -- inevitably, really -- call for it to be raised, because the country will not be able to function within the forseeable future without regular debt ceiling increases.

2) Many of the differences between Obama and Romney are subtle differences of degree. To someone who is outraged with the status quo, this can leave them saying, "Well, even if they aren't literally identical, they may as well be," and then going on to speak as if they really are. I think this ignores that the accumulation of many small divergences can result in a substantially different outcome, but I can also understand that said different outcome may still be within the bounds of what some people (myself included to an extent) consider unacceptable.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
jaykimf wrote:
So much for there being no difference between Obama and Romney.

2) Many of the differences between Obama and Romney are subtle differences of degree. To someone who is outraged with the status quo, this can leave them saying, "Well, even if they aren't literally identical, they may as well be," and then going on to speak as if they really are. I think this ignores that the accumulation of many small divergences can result in a substantially different outcome, but I can also understand that said different outcome may still be within the bounds of what some people (myself included to an extent) consider unacceptable.

Yes, that's the conclusion you'd come to if you wanted to be the least bit charitable.

After the debates, Occupy Wall Street tweeted the following:

@OccupyWallSt wrote:

RT @thestevedunn: Both candidates blamed the wall street bail outs on people who got mortgages. #samedude #debates

I wonder if Occupy means by #samedude that the two candidates are identical, or merely if the bad taste they each leave in our mouth is largely the same?

--------------------

Of course, I believe people in this thread were calling Obama similar to Bush, not Romney.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=219698&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=157

Then it drifted to a comparison of Romney to Bush.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=219698&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=170
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get to work early so I didn't watch the debate/infomercial, but otherwise I would have had a shot after every lie and likely have ended up puking after 10-15 minutes into the farce.

Guess I lucked out.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
I have to get to work early so I didn't bother watching the debate/infomercial, but otherwise I would have had a shot after every lie and likely have ended up puking 10-15 minutes into the farce.

Guess I lucked out.

You missed very little. The overwhelming twitter consensus seems to be that Romney did well, Obama did terribly. Romney finally left the right-wing behind and appealed to the middle. Obama missed opportunities. Both lied their asses off.
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
You missed very little.

I scanned the Metro free rag I was handed on my way into the subway yesterday and I saw something along the lines of "Enough of facts, now is the time for the candidates to appeal directly to the hearts of voters."

Yeah, because Americans (thanks to our tireless media) have clearly been overly-inundated with the facts.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caniff, take the test.
caniff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Caniff, take the test.

Alright, this weekend (which is a long one in commemoration of Columbus' voyage that brought the gift of civilization to the N.A. heathens) when I can sit down without distractions - maybe I'll find out I'm sub-consciously a commie or something.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

Once upon a time Gene Wolfe wrote a series of sci-fi novels about a professional torturer. In one scene, a woman who is to be tortured asks the main character if he is going to hurt her. The torturer says he is, but it isn't personal. It's just his job.

That's how I feel about this comment.

If the conservative/libertarian (I hate redundancies) insist on civil disorder following the up-coming election over imposing their minority ideology on the rest of us, yes, I would defend my interests with my Second Amendment rights. It wouldn't be personal, of course. Just professional, as it were.
visitorq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Kuros wrote:

Once upon a time Gene Wolfe wrote a series of sci-fi novels about a professional torturer. In one scene, a woman who is to be tortured asks the main character if he is going to hurt her. The torturer says he is, but it isn't personal. It's just his job.

That's how I feel about this comment.

If the conservative/libertarian (I hate redundancies) insist on civil disorder following the up-coming election over imposing their minority ideology on the rest of us, yes, I would defend my interests with my Second Amendment rights. It wouldn't be personal, of course. Just professional, as it were.

Translation: Look for Ya-ta-Boy among the rioters if the messiah-in-chief is not re-elected. He'll fit right in with the criminal scum, race-baiters, and welfare rioters who want to attack regular people if they think their food stamp supply is going to be cut back. They feel so entitled to other peoples' money and property that they would resort to violence to take it from us. Watch for it.
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:

If the conservative/libertarian (I hate redundancies) insist on civil disorder following the up-coming election over imposing their minority ideology on the rest of us, yes, I would defend my interests with my Second Amendment rights.

This is a powerful example of projection, Ya-Ta.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Korea has the second amendment.

I don't think the election matters much. The big decisions have been made. Unless the TV'S go dark there is zero chance yata Will be marching to the south with his bb gun. There will not be a revolution bc of an election.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: