Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else watching the US debate today?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynehead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Anyone else watching the US debate today? Reply with quote

I haven't got any morning classes so I'm settling in to watch the first one in about a half hour. FYI here's a good place to watch online -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/huffpost-live-presidential-debate_n_1930052.html

Thoughts? Predictions?
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These so-called presidential debates are boring. They don't let them go at each other enough.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure most media outlets in the USA have already pre-written their headlines about how Obama beat Romney in the debates. The media bias is getting pretty sickening. If Obama does win, though, it will be comical seeing who he chooses to blame everything on in his 2nd four years. Especially if he has another Democrat majority in congress.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
They don't let them go at each other enough.

Huh? Jim Lehrer was a no show tonight.

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I'm sure most media outlets in the USA have already pre-written their headlines about how Obama beat Romney in the debates. The media bias is getting pretty sickening.

Hysterical. My twitter feed abounds with assessments that Obama lost. And I don't follow any straight-laced Republicans.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is as good a summary of the debate as any.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros,

It still isn't enough. The debate are still way too heavily moderated. They have 3 debates with each other. Choose 3 different topics for each debate (30 minutes a topic) and let them go at each other one on one with no interruptions.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I'm sure most media outlets in the USA have already pre-written their headlines about how Obama beat Romney in the debates. The media bias is getting pretty sickening. If Obama does win, though, it will be comical seeing who he chooses to blame everything on in his 2nd four years. Especially if he has another Democrat majority in congress.

Besides MSN your post is delusional.
Kepler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can watch it on youtube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkrwUU_YApE
Otherside

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what this race needed, a bit of fight from the underdog. Can't go into the final act of the show without building to a tight finish.

My money's on the donkey's though. The elephants might be able to pull some back, but Rmoney made the mistake of being caught speaking his mind... remember kids, the golden rule is... don't get caught!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

Besides MSN your post is delusional.

Is it?

This is a cartoon by NBC News:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/swampfox10mm/Obamaa.jpg

A good read about Liberal reaction to the debate. The problem for the Liberal press was, in this case, that the debate was such a lopsided Romney victory, there wasn't much they could do:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/04/liberals-freak-out-after-obama-poor-debate-performance/
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Obama "Smirk" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKY5uDWtWvE
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama has been declared the loser of last night's debate by most major networks. Supporters of Obama also said he lost that debate. There is bias at work.

He lost to Romney because he was just inactive, stayed too passive and let Romney take charge of the debate. Even when Romney lied or said things that opened him up for a counter punch, Obama failed to react.

Either he was not well prepared, he took Romney lightly or he figured he did not need to win the debate to get re-elected.

Crap, Gore destroyed Bush in the 2000 debates and Kerry beat Bush in the 2004 debates but Bush won both elections anyway...well he won in 2004 anyway. Wink

Now swamp, I have to ask, you seem to be a Romney supporter, what is it about his platform-program you feel is vote worthy?

I am really curious here.
waynehead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly an Obama guy, having contributed my small part to his campaign and with plans to vote for him, but Romney did seem more "into it" and better prepared. I didn't think the President faltered in any way, but Romney exceeded my (admittedly quite low) expectations. Doesn't change how I'll vote, not even close, but I do worry it could affect some undecided voters.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
That's what this race needed, a bit of fight from the underdog. Can't go into the final act of the show without building to a tight finish.

My money's on the donkey's though. The elephants might be able to pull some back, but Rmoney made the mistake of being caught speaking his mind... remember kids, the golden rule is... don't get caught!

Very Happy Laughing
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that on a superficial level Romney may have won the debate. It did seem like Obama wasn't aggressive enough and let Romney do too much of the talking. Romney was very well prepared with lots of talking points, but his underlying arguments seemed to be lacking. He throws a lot of big promises out there that sound good but appears to lack a detailed, well thought out plan for accomplishing them. How is he going to reduce taxes by trillions while making no cuts in government spending in such areas as education and military and reduce the deficit? Romney sure puts a lot of effort into coming off as a conservative and knew how to put the most favorable spin possible on his past support for socialized healthcare.

Last edited by Kepler on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: