Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guam or Saipan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForceOne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Guam or Saipan? Reply with quote

I have five days off coming up, and was thinking of going.

To those who have been, what did you think? Worthwhile? Any tips/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ForceOne
thrylos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been, but from friends that have, Guam is a lot more developed with resort-style hotels while Saipan is more laid-back with more of a 'native' Chamorro vibe. Shopping is better in Guam. Travelling between the two isn't cheap, flying being the realistic option here. Check out Wikitravel for more info.
FMPJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Saipan is brutally boring. Same person likes Guam.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Guam 3 times but never been to Saipan.

Guam is pretty much like America. All the stuff you could want from home is there but it can be expensive. You need to rent a car to get around and gas is around $4-5 a gallon. There is shopping and some good eats. There is a pretty good pacage deal with the Ramada. You can get a room and rent-a-car for a bout $100 a day. Go up north to Ritidian where the whole north parto of the island is a nature reserve. You might be the only person there all day. Go down south for the natural pools and see how laid back the southern part is. Eat at the Chammaro village for lunch there are many food stalls to choose from. Also the Jamacan Grill is good too.

The locals say Saipan is less developed and a palce were the Japanese and Korean buisness men go to gamble and get wiht hookers. Guam has there fair share of "massage parlors" too.
coryallan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Saipan over Guam back in 2010 and it was extremely boring! Rented a car and saw all the sites on the island in a couple hours. There aren't really any beaches, the best beach is on a little island you have to pay to go to. The night life is absolutely brutal! I believe the best bar/restaurant they have is the Hard Rock Cafe. I went the first week of December btw.
Zackback

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you list some names of the restaurants in Guam than an American would be familiar with (McDonald's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc?).

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: