Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songtan - good place to go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tall_dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loza wrote:
Is there a nice part of Songtan (or a nearby area) to live? I will move there this August (My partner works on the base). When I visited, I found it be to fairly ugly and couldn't see many trees!

I currently live in Gwangju across the road from a huge park(Very peaceful for Korea). And I'm hoping to find a nice area like this in/near Songtan.

Also if anyone can recommend good schools, to work for in that area I'd really appreciate it. Actually hoping to find a public elementary, so guess I'll need to approach individual schools in the area.

Thanks Smile

You might get a job at the base or one of the nearby hogwans. There is housing with nice trees and hiking areas within 20 mins walk or 5 mins by car, from Songtan. Ask someone to show you Switzen apts when you get here.
longsack22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tall_dave,

As I said I'm not in Songtan right now, will be back in June 2010... Wanted to know do the 2 Korean girls who cook the kebabs still have a shop open? They were the best drunk food

It's one block up from the main gate, turn left and half way down on the right, across from JJ's?

I loved the food and that is one thing I'm really looking forward to once i return.

Thanks

Last edited by longsack22 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
tall_dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longsack22 wrote:
tall_dave,

As I said I'm not in Songtan right now, will be back in June 2010... Wanted to know do they 2 Korean girls who cook the kebabs still have a shop open?

It's one block up from the main gate, turn left and half way down on the right, across from JJ's?

I loved the food and that is one thing I'm really looking forward to once i return.

Thanks

They'r still there. Food is still awesome. See you in June.. Where will u be working? Lets switch this converstion to a pm

Last edited by tall_dave on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ghettofabulous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Songtan favorites:

1. Rio Grill - Brazilian all you can eat meat buffet, by the big overpass across from Asia hotel. 24,000 won dinner 18,000 lunch. Better service and quality than the other place on the main drag.

2. Sawatdee Thai Restaurant on the main drag.

3. Thai Buffet at the restaurant by Youngchon hotel on the weekends.

4. Sitting outside of Blue Opera on a nice day drinking black tea with milk and sugar.

5. Club Volume at night.
greasypeanut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rio grill is the shit and a kebab store recently opened up on the strip which is not bad at all.

ionno if u realize but songtan isnt really a city. it used to be, now its just basically the northern part of pyeongtaek. the subway station i live closer to, seojeongri, many buildings still have songtan in their names from when it used to be their own city. i think from jinwi to seojeongri where the limits of the old songtan city. hell, that place where the base is in or near is not even songtan-dong (i dont even know if there is one or not) but rather sinjang-dong.

also id imagine the teacher expat population is the same as it is in most gyeonggi-do cities. every city has its public schools.
tall_dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasypeanut wrote:
rio grill is the shit and a kebab store recently opened up on the strip which is not bad at all.

ionno if u realize but songtan isnt really a city. it used to be, now its just basically the northern part of pyeongtaek. the subway station i live closer to, seojeongri, many buildings still have songtan in their names from when it used to be their own city. i think from jinwi to seojeongri where the limits of the old songtan city. hell, that place where the base is in or near is not even songtan-dong (i dont even know if there is one or not) but rather sinjang-dong.

also id imagine the teacher expat population is the same as it is in most gyeonggi-do cities. every city has its public schools.

Songtan has been absorbed into Pyeongtaek. I suspect the major rationale for this is due to the heavy amount of revenue generated by the cluns and stores in Songtan. Songtan is still there, but it's more referred to the area just outside of Osan Air Base and goes by a proper name of Songtan Special Tourist Zone.
longsack22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tall_dave send me a PM... says I need 25 posts to send a PM, don't have them yet...

I was first in Korea in 2001 down south in Gunsan (Kunsan Air Base).
Osan (Songtan) in 2006-07.
Will be back as said in late June.

So I really do not visit this board to much during my "off season" (times not in Korea) thus the low board posts.
kerbythepurplecow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems everyone has the food avenue covered. I second/third/fourth most recommendations.

There's also lots of cheap stuff to buy there. I'm not really a shopper, but those cheap, fuzzy, awesome blankets are amazing. Maybe $20 for a giant, soft, warm blanket. That's a win.

For the non-military folk, there's also a small black market near the overpass. You can get a lot of things there that are impossible to find without going to Costco (and even not then sometimes). I usually drop in every time I'm near as there's always something I forgot I was missing.
definitely maybe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touchdowns. The darts, a pool table, and an amazing staff!
ghettofabulous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost all the bars there have a pool table and darts. they're pretty much all the same.
definitely maybe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettofabulous wrote:
almost all the bars there have a pool table and darts. they're pretty much all the same.

Its the staff that sets them apart.
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the Brazilian places there and Rio Grill is hands down the best of them. Better service, better food, always open when advertised (one of the other places closed unexpectedly for a few days, turns out half the staff had quit!), actually owned and operated by Brazilians.

The thai place, sawadee, never eaten there BUT as others have said, the woman that owns the Mexican place also owns two thai places and the new (well, a year now) Japanese place (across from the Mexican place). Anyway, I've met the owners son and we're on a first name basis these days, I asked him about the thai places. He said that if you're looking for more authentic thai, then the restaurant at the hotel would be your place, but if you're looking for more "americanized" then sawadee is the place.

Personally, I really enjoy this little vietnamese place down one of the side alleys. Nothing too special, but I like vietnamese food.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettofabulous wrote:
My Songtan favorites:

1. Rio Grill - Brazilian all you can eat meat buffet, by the big overpass across from Asia hotel. 24,000 won dinner 18,000 lunch. Better service and quality than the other place on the main drag.

2. Sawatdee Thai Restaurant on the main drag.

3. Thai Buffet at the restaurant by Youngchon hotel on the weekends.

4. Sitting outside of Blue Opera on a nice day drinking black tea with milk and sugar.

5. Club Volume at night.

How much is the Thai buffet?
EZE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked, "Songtan - good place to go?"

The slogan of the city is "Wanna go?"

www.songtansally.blogspot.com
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know about the Puffin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: