Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should alcohol be banned from flights/airports?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my last flight to asia, a guy was denied boarding because he showed up at the boarding gate wasted....

Should they ban booze onboard or at airports? No, because the vast majority of people are smart enough not to get hosed before boarding on while onboard.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the 'nerves' excuse is usually pure hokum, they are boozers finding a super excuse to less furtively drink at a time when they know they shouldn't.

So the OP wants to ban alcohol on flights and you claim there are times of the day you shouldn't be drinking. Why not let people do what they want and if they act inappropriately punish them accordingly.
If someone gets so drunk on a flight that they are a disturbance then they should be banned from flying for a period of time.
Punishing everyone for the actions of a minority is wrong. As is forcing your beliefs as to when is an acceptable time to drink.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
On my last flight to asia, a guy was denied boarding because he showed up at the boarding gate wasted....

Should they ban booze onboard or at airports? No, because the vast majority of people are smart enough not to get hosed before boarding on while onboard.

There is a big difference in denying a drunk person entry on a flight and having a passenger get so trashed ON a flight that he endangers other passengers. On a flight, you're stuck with the passenger until the destination is reached or the plane is diverted, which is a huge blow to the rest of the passengers.
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many diverted flights have you been on? I've ridden on many dozens of planes, yet to see it. The very rare times that occurs, it usually makes the news.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, but still, the danger is there. I'd welcome a ban on alcohol on flights and more airlines are doing just that.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

There is a big difference in denying a drunk person entry on a flight and having a passenger get so trashed ON a flight that he endangers other passengers. On a flight, you're stuck with the passenger until the destination is reached or the plane is diverted, which is a huge blow to the rest of the passengers.

That was pretty much my point yaya.

I think reasonable people know not to get completely wasted before boarding.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about banning alcohol on flights under 3 hours? For those 10 hours overseas flights, I need that dang booze.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
How about banning alcohol on flights under 3 hours? For those 10 hours overseas flights, I need that dang booze.

Just curious here but why do you need booze on the longer flights?
lithium

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Squire wrote:
You have a bad experience with one person so now everyone should be forced to abstain from drinking on a potentially long journey. I hate this 'liberal' way of thinking

Not liberal, practical. Many passengers whose erratic behavior forced the diversion of a plane were drunk, and perhaps if alcohol hadn't been on that plane, they might not have gotten erratic.

WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer told the Calgary Sun that drinking and flying is a daily issue for commercial-airline staff to deal with.

"It will certainly happen somewhere in the system, on average, once a day," Palmer said last year, adding that hot-spot vacation flights are the worst offenders.

Laughing
"It is problematic to deal with unruly guests and we try obviously to assess this problem before it becomes a problem in the air. Inebriation is by far the most common issue."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/following-another-alcohol-fuelled-airline-assault-time-ban-170351872.html
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this thread. I'm not much of an in-flight drinker, but I admit I enjoy a drink or two at an airport bar while waiting for my flight. Where else can you have a beer at 7:30am and not be out of place? I also find having a pint at the bar relaxing during what is usually otherwise a boring or stressful event.

This thread makes me wonder though. I have been on a couple of flights where someone who has been drinking started to get ignorant and belligerent, however not to the point where it became a problem.
catman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada two drunk women on a flight from Toronto to Cuba managed to get their flight turned around while it was almost at their destination.
I can't believe they couldn't just strap them to the seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5O0VyOAsus
bossface

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is just repugnant. I say you teetotalers should be banned from the skies. I don't need to be judged while I'm throwing back a couple Heinekens in my noble effort to sleep the rest of the way on my 8 a.m. flight to Bangkok.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fly economy on United. Paying 7-9 USD for a drink deters most passengers from partaking in much drinking.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
In Canada two drunk women on a flight from Toronto to Cuba managed to get their flight turned around while it was almost at their destination.

That was the flight to Cuba? Perhaps the airline didn't want the women subjected to Cuban courts.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't land in America unless it is a life threatening disaster. It is a flight to Cuba, after all. Perhaps there were no authorities in Cuba that were willing to take these ladies into custody so the only option was to go back to Toronto and give them to the mounties.

CentralCali wrote:
catman wrote:

That was the flight to Cuba? Perhaps the airline didn't want the women subjected to Cuban courts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: