Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lotte Department Store and its degradation of women

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Lotte Department Store and its degradation of women Reply with quote

You know full well how much I respect women so what took place here is really offensive.
What probably happened here (as well as in so many instances like this) is that one or several of the higher-ups think they know English and instead of shelling out some cash to have advertisements like this proofread by a native speaker "accidents" like this happen.
Does Korea have an organization like NOW that I can march with and demonstrate? I feel like its high time for me to get behind some women's causes.

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2012/07/09/lotte-welcomes-summer-bitch-festival/

It�s a good thing, however, that Lotte department store in Jeonju explained its side of the story. What the sign was intended to read was �Beach,� not �Bitch.�

�For Lotte to use the worst kind of language in the artistic city of Jeonju makes me distressful of them,� said one Internet user.

Another Web user commented, �When foreigners see that banner, they will get a bad image of Korea and make it a topic overseas. I can�t believe this kind of thing happened in a big company like Lotte.�

A Lotte representative stated that the banner itself was not used at the official event, but was there during the set-up process. The company is also now in communication with the ad agency that produced the banner, and with its store in Jeonju as well.

The misunderstanding was cleared, but with Lotte being one of the largest store chains in Korea, this misstep will definitely not break away from the public�s eye anytime soon.
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreigners would probably find it funny. I seriously doubt anyone is going back to their home country and discussing this in a serious manner.
Savant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add a -in' to the sign in small letters about the F.
Summer Bitchin' Festival.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't that from several years ago? I remember seeing it up outside a lotte department store about 2-3 years ago....

And I'm pretty sure nobody would be offended by that; it's a clear mistake and most people would see it as funny not offensive. But maybe as Zackback is SO sensitive to the degradation of women, though... Rolling Eyes
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lotte Department Store and its degradation of women Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
You know full well how much I respect women so what took place here is really offensive.

Maybe you should stop trying to so hard to be offended and just have fun in life? Idea
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to change my avatar
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lotte Department Store and its degradation of women Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
I feel like its high time for me to get behind some womens.

This basically sums up Zack's position on the topic of women. Wink
Gorf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lotte Department Store and its degradation of women Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:

Just so everyone knows - Zackback once said that he wants his wife to ask him for permission to do things like speak to other people, to leave the house, and to use the phone.

Keepin' it 1920's style, Zack. Make sure her ankle restraints aren't too tight, or the iron ball will begin to chafe her leg.
Zackback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920's?
Way too modern for me.
They were allowed to vote in the US by then.
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Korean chapter of NOW should be organized. The Korean Organization of Women
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that were to organize I'd have a kow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: