Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly Salary Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staygold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

Nov 13 Update:

I got another offer (edit).

Edit: School location removed, but it's still in an expensive area.

The hours are 2:30-10:30 on M-F and 10:30-4:30 on Saturdays. I'm supposed to teach 5 to 7 classes on weekdays and 3 classes on Saturdays. The pay is 2.5 million.

I was originally told Saturdays would be from 1:30 to 4:30, so I was OK with the pay. They added 3 more hours, so I asked my recruiter if I could negotiate. She said she'd try for 2.6, but no guarantees.

I think I'm getting low-balled partly because I'm a gyopo. I see 6 workday jobs that pay a LOT higher. Any opinions? Thanks again.

Last edited by staygold on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2.3 million working 2 to 10pm M~F and 1 to 4 on Saturdays is way too low for a Poly school, right?

Who says? You haven't mentioned anything about actual workload. You only cited a range of hours.

25 classes at 2.1 (40-50 minute classes) is about the average, with 5 hours of office work. Schools are trying to get 30 at least. Some even try to get 40 hours.

I think 30-35 classes without overtime pay is too much.

Location is also another factor. You didn't mention where. So, if you want 2.5 or higher, you'd better be looking for a job in either a rich part of the city (Gangnam in Seoul) or way out in the country where there isn't much going on. I am not saying it is impossible, but the way things are now with schools and pay, I think a decent 2.3 offer would be a waste to pass up.

You also mentioned Monday to Friday, and then you added Saturday. Do you mean 6 days or 5 days which might include Saturday (like Tuesday-Saturday or Monday-Friday)? If you are considering 6 days, why not go for 5 days and agree to overtime, even if the rate is lower than normal? This way you aren't bound to 6 days.
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

2.3 million for working six days at ANY school is way too low.

Don't do it.
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

staygold wrote:
2.3 million working 2 to 10pm M~F and 1 to 4 on Saturdays is way too low for a Poly school, right? I know that the 9 to 7 jobs pay about 2.8 or so, but I'm not sure how much an afternoon position with Saturdays should pay. Is 2.5 alright, or do you think I should negotiate for more?

I have a 120 hour TESOL certificate and my major had nothing to do with English or education, so I'm a little hesitant to ask. This is my first teaching job as well. Thanks!

Seems a little low for Poly, but these days, who knows. I only saw one ad for Poly on Dave's job board (posted in September) and had starting salary of 2.4 mil and went up to 3.2 mil (depending on experience). That was in Daejeon.
staygold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND: Yes, this job has 6 working days a week.

However, the actual classes begin at 4 and end at 10 on weekdays, while Saturday has 3 working hours.

The school is also in Bundang, but I think Poly schools tend to pay more regardless of which city it's in.

Sorry for being vague in my first post. I was kind of in a rush. Perhaps 2.3 isn't so bad?
Skippy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the contract. Does it include the other benefits like flight, apartment, pension, etc.... I thought POLY was one the hagwons that skipped the apartment and flight ticket stuff by quote quote offering higher pay quote quote.

If not then 2.3 for the standard 25-30 hours is LOW. You would be losing money compared to a reg hagwon gug. Even the Saturday, should bump you up a good 100k or 200k. Do not give the Saturday to easily.

Good Luck
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're being paid very little for losing a large part (10pm Friday to x time Saturday) of your weekend. I think your initial reaction is correct.
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

staygold wrote:

However, the actual classes begin at 4 and end at 10 on weekdays, while Saturday has 3 working hours.

The school is also in Bundang, but I think Poly schools tend to pay more regardless of which city it's in.

Sorry for being vague in my first post. I was kind of in a rush. Perhaps 2.3 isn't so bad?

Everyone has their own rationale. Personally, if you are going to make me work a 6th day, it better be a full day and not 3 working hours. I better get extra money.

If you want to wake up and put 5 hours into 3 hours work, it's your prerogative.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Poly Salary Question Reply with quote

Perceptioncheck wrote:
2.3 million for working six days at ANY school is way too low.

Don't do it.

Yep. That 6th day will burn you out really fast. After half a year you'll wish you were dead. 2.3 is just an average salary anyway. For this schedule it's absolute junk. Keep looking.
staygold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy: Yes, it includes pension, housing, insurance, and airfare.

Well, I'll try negotiating and see what they say. If they don't budge, I do have another job interview that supposedly pays at least 2.6 with all the benefits.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
timhorton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: 1-2 Reply with quote

1) Hokwons are brutal.

2) Hokwon + working Saturdays = stupid!
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3 for 6 days a week???

Is the economy THAT bad back home?? Good god...
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

staygold wrote:

Bundang is a nice area. They shouldn't be low-balling you in that area. I'd pass on that offer.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked, 6 years ago Poly in Suwon was paying 2.8 for 5 days a week.

I think I'd look at China, you would pull about 15k RMB a month.
cedarseoul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's obscene.

I worked at a POLY for 4 years. Our starting salary for afternoon teachers (1-9PM no weekends) was 2.35--and that's with no ed degree, no grad degree, no experience. My wife and I both pulled in around 3M toward the end of our time there.

POLY Bundang has a good reputation, but I wouldn't tolerate such a lowball offer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: