Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREAT gyms
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: GREAT gyms Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone has ever found a GREAT gym. One they really enjoy and would recommend.

I find that for the most part, there are two types of gyms in Seoul - ones that some old trainer opened up - with equipment from the 70s. Or newish, stylish ones that are clean, but very... plastic.

Anyone find something that they really enjoyed?
thurst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd classify wellness gym in kyungridan as a "great" gym.

also, a friend of mine used to go to world's fitness (i think that's the name) in mokdong and she loved the place mainly bcuz they offered a gang of classes (body combat, yoga, etc...).
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by plastic? Plastic surgery?

My gym is great. New equip, mix of people. Other than the music and the price, it's perfect.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to a Crossfit/Olympic lifting/powerlifting gym near Konkuk University station: http://www.speedandpower.co.kr/10/list.asp?mode=view&toron_gubun=&board_id=10&board_idx=1567&blog_id=

They have a lot of cool stuff you won't find in most gyms: bumper plates, kettlebells, gymnastic rings, ergometers (indoor rowing machines), an 88 kg. tire for flipping or hitting with various sledgehammers, glute/ham raise stations, a weighted sled, etc. One thing you won't find is a treadmill.

I've been going there since March or so and love it!
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessing what Capt means by plastic is that a lot of gyms have shiny new equipment but it's most only machines and filled with weekend warrior types who don't know what they're doing or young bros looking to get swole.

My gym is kind of like that. Full of useless machines and people who have no clue about lifting using them. It's usually tough guys with fingerless gloves who mean mug the place before they get to the smith machine to bench a whopping 20kg. We don't have a squat rack or bumper plates. There's only one crappy barbell for bench pressing so I have to use that for my deadlifts. And when I'm deadlifting everybody looks at me weird like, "what is he doing?"

Quote:
They have a lot of cool stuff you won't find in most gyms: bumper plates, kettlebells, gymnastic rings, ergometers (indoor rowing machines), an 88 kg. tire for flipping or hitting with various sledgehammers, glute/ham raise stations, a weighted sled, etc. One thing you won't find is a treadmill.

If I lived near the area and had the time and money, I would definitely go there. I really want to flip tires and swing sledgehammers. Not to mention learn how to properly clean.
Jonephant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gym is "great" for me. Its in my apartment complex, its cost 25,000krw per month and since i go at 1pm everyday I'm most likely the only person there. All the equipment is newish but its heavy on treadmills. The owners are 2 youngish guys who seem to give PT for free out of boredom. They offer GX classes twice a day which my wife enjoys. All in all im very satisfied with it. Though I'm sure people who are into serious lifting would say its a crap gym.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
What do you mean by plastic? Plastic surgery?

My gym is great. New equip, mix of people. Other than the music and the price, it's perfect.

Good question - I guess what I meant was - a place that looked new, and clean, and ready to lift/work out in, but in many ways just wasn't designed/equipped for it.

Kind if like the guys mentioned above.. all decked out in gear - got 'dem gloves on, but spend more time on kakao talk or FB than actually lifting.

cdninkorea wrote:
I go to a Crossfit/Olympic lifting/powerlifting gym near Konkuk University station: http://www.speedandpower.co.kr/10/list.asp?mode=view&toron_gubun=&board_id=10&board_idx=1567&blog_id=

I've been going there since March or so and love it!

Sounds like a very cool/interesting place. Opposite side of the city for me though. Sad

But good to hear you've found a place like that.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we turn this into a "I hate my gym because..." thread?

I hate my gym because the incline bench press is shoved against the wall so no one can get behind you to give a spot.

None of the equipment is maintained. I actually go through once a week and tighten the hex nuts on the dumb bells.

They mop the floors, but don't dust anything. So as soon as I walk through the door my allergies kick in.

And worst of all, all the Korean ladies come in for their gym-wear fashion show. They don't lift, instead they find an empty bench, set their purses, cellphones and bag of oranges there as if they are building a nest, then they go sit on an empty chest machine to chat with their girlfriends.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guessing what Capt means by plastic is that a lot of gyms have shiny new equipment but it's most only machines and filled with weekend warrior types who don't know what they're doing or young bros looking to get swole.

My gym is kind of like that. Full of useless machines and people who have no clue about lifting using them. It's usually tough guys with fingerless gloves who mean mug the place before they get to the smith machine to bench a whopping 20kg. We don't have a squat rack or bumper plates. There's only one crappy barbell for bench pressing so I have to use that for my deadlifts. And when I'm deadlifting everybody looks at me weird like, "what is he doing?"

No offence but it's probably this kind of attitude that puts a lot of normal people off going to their local gym and indirectly contributes towards the obesity crisis.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:

I hate my gym because the incline bench press is shoved against the wall so no one can get behind you to give a spot.

This is an example of what I meant. Something that "looks" good, but really isn't functional.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea: How much do you pay per month at SAP?

My gym is like that, incline bench and leg press are back to back. But people just pull the bench out to get a spot, nobody cares. The trainers do it as well.

I never understood why people care what other people are doing at the gym. If it's bothering you directly, I understand, but if some guy is sitting around texting, why does that bother you?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people want to text while in the gym - that's their business... UNLESS they are sitting on benches/equipment that other/I want to use. OR if they are training with me. If my training partner takes a break from working out simply to respond to a text... we won't be training together for much longer.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, this is what would help make a great gym for me.

Beyond the basics (like actual benches and weights)...

-dumbbells that go over 100lbs.
-wide based cable rack.
-Hammer strength Chest and Back machines.
-a smooth reversible fly machine.
-space between machines/equipment.
-a mirror that makes me look good. Wink
jondepoer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Bally Fitness in Banpo-dong, which I think is the only branch remaining in Korea - correct me if I'm wrong. Even though I go to the gym 6 days a week, I'd probably be classified as a weekend warrior type. I just do cardio and my circuit on the weight machines, and don't get much into free weights, squats, deadlifts and all that stuff. I'm making progress with my weight loss - and that's what's important to me.

Bally has loads of equipment, and at least seems newish. It has a nice Korean-style sauna which is great for unwinding at the end of the day. I get off work at 10pm, and the gym is open until 1am - which I love. Also, it seems frivolous, but each piece of cardio equipment has a TV with lot of English content, so it keeps me occupied for long cardio sessions.

Depends what you want, but mine is perfect for me.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - If I'm doing an hour's worth of cardio, that tv makes it all the easier.

The only Ballys I've seen in Korea was in Chungmuro... but they closed down a year or more back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: