Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respectful people: US vs KR
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Respectful people: US vs KR Reply with quote

KR: I find some chick's wallet this morning on the street packed full of platinum credit cards. Instead of kicking it into the ditch, stealing her identify, going on a spending spree, or some other evil plan...I call her bank and set up for a time for her to stop by my office and pick it up. She shows up with a big free lunch for me and lot of kompsahamnida, etc. Had to pry myself away from the flood of kindness as I actually have other things to do, like post on Dave's ESL Cafe.

US: Same story, major city, find some chick's wallet on the street, I catch up to her and say "hey lady you dropped your wallet". She gives me the classic American mean mug, raised eyebrow, maybe you are a terrorist or a rapist look (all men are presumed rapists) snatches it out of my hand, spins on her heel, and walks off without a word. No joke. Dude I don't know you from anyone, every male in existence is not trying to pick up on you, get over yourself, I'm giving you your freakin' wallet back cause you air-headed-out, I could have kicked it into a ditch or went on a spending spree. Develop some manners and basic respect, is that so hard?

The point being, don't really know. But my tummy says thank you KR.

Now feel free to continue with your tired old "KR sucks" routine...
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, we all know there's good and bad in each country. Your story could have easily been swapped the other way.

It's great to hear that they were cool with you, but I wouldn't use it as any sort of national judgement. Just enjoy that you were cool, and someone recognized and appreciated it.

Nice of you to do, BTW, OP.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from the guy who says teachers are dumb... There has to be a little Korean man behind this exhibit.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
This from the guy who says teachers are dumb... There has to be a little Korean man behind this exhibit.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Are you angry about me getting a tasty lunch? It wasn't that good if that makes you feel better.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Your story could have easily been swapped the other way.

But could it? Would a Korean woman ever behave in a crude disrespectful way to a total stranger that helped them out? I can't see that happening.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Are you angry about me getting a tasty lunch? It wasn't that good if that makes you feel better.

I got my money on you being a Korean dude. Wink
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

But could it? Would a Korean woman ever behave in a crude disrespectful way to a total stranger that helped them out? I can't see that happening.

Yeah, but sometimes they'll just do a perfunctory bow.

I do get your point that they're less likely to be as brazen as they can be stateside.

But there again the level of fear walking down a street in a major US metropolis is quite different.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Seoulites be completely rude in similar situations and people in Detroit be as kind as anyone in the world.

I don't think this is a Korean or US thing. Try going around in America and you'll get plenty of kind treatment and charity.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I can.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year is 2006. I give my LGE business card to Bobster, a very heavy drinker while out with the wives one night.

A month later, I get a phone call. It's from a journalist. Bobster got drunk and left his tattered, holey, beat up wallet in a cab. The only thing in it besides his resident card and a few 1000 won bills was my business card.

+ 1 for the Korean nice guy/girl that found his wallet and made the effort to call me.
nero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This troll is annoying.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spat on here in Korea. I've also been walked into and shoulder-bumped by countless old dudes, which would be extremely rude in the states. I've had middle-aged men step in front of me at the subway line and automatically thought "Wow, cutting off a lady...how can you do that and still call yourself a man?"

I've also had an old lady go out of her way to help me out when my paper grocery bag broke. I've had people in line at grocery stores and convenience stores step in and offer help when communication breaks down with the cashier. I had a couple Korean guys who totally chewed out an older guy for cutting me off in line at a convenience store once, too.

In the states, I've had good and bad experiences too. There are differences between the two countries overall, certainly. But those differences, as far as I can tell, are mainly surface differences (e.g., the acceptability of informal speech with strangers), with just a few cultural things that are acceptable in one place but not the other (e.g., chewing with your mouth open in Korea, bumping into people in the subway in Korea, speaking casually to your elders in the United States, or using one hand to pour beer for your boss or professor in the states).
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

Quintis, is that you man?
nero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

Quintis, is that you man?

I meant the OP.
Actually, I think I know Bob. Is he also known as 'That American Professor/lecturer?'

Edit -- I can also become strikingly homosexual after a few bevvies. Wink
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

What kind of blinders are you wearing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: