Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrongful Taxi Charge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Wrongful Taxi Charge Reply with quote

Okay so this weekend I was drunk and tried to get a taxi home. I didn't have cash, but he told me he could swipe my card in the machine in the taxi. I swiped, he said it didn't work and told me to get out. I look at my bank account and there is a 30,000 charge for a taxi. A taxi that I never took. I called my bank and they said something may be done in 3-4 weeks, but they don't know if I will get my money back.

Has anyone ever had this happen?
ewlandon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you already took care of it. Why would you swipe the card before taking the taxi?
oppa637

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds weird, who swipes first. Maybe you were drunk and charge is right.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get your money back. Try not to look or be as drunk next time, so they won't see you as an easy target.
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
sounds like you already took care of it. Why would you swipe the card before taking the taxi?

Well he was going to charge me a flat rate to take me home, which was about 45 minutes away. So I agreed to the amount and swiped but he said it didn't work. I've never paid with my card before, so I wasn't sure about the procedure. And actually earlier that night the same thing happened with another driver. He demanded our cash before taking us, but he actually took us.
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:

Maybe the charge was right? I'm not sure what you mean.
peacemaker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ever let a taxi driver charge you a flat rate. And don't ever pay a taxi fare before you arrive at your destination.
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peacemaker wrote:
Don't ever let a taxi driver charge you a flat rate. And don't ever pay a taxi fare before you arrive at your destination.

I thought it was normal to have to haggle with drivers late a night when going to another city. I will definitely be more careful from now on.
r122925

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyTZM wrote:

I thought it was normal to have to haggle with drivers late a night when going to another city. I will definitely be more careful from now on.

You're sort of right, especially when you mention other cities. Depends on what you mean by normal I suppose.

A taxi driver is legally obliged to take you wherever you tell him and charge you only the price on the meter as long as the destination is in the same city where the taxi is licensed.

For example, if you're in Seoul and get inside a Seoul-licensed taxi and tell the driver to take you to another location in Seoul he must take you (can't refuse) and must run the meter (at least in theory, some of the more annoying drivers may try to jerk you around anyway but in this case you can report them).

On the other hand if you're in Seoul and get inside a Seoul-licensed taxi and tell the driver to take you somewhere in Gyeonggi-do (outside of Seoul) the driver does not have to take you if he doesn't want to. And if he does take you, he can charge you whatever price is mutually agreed upon (doesn't have to run the meter).

So some drivers will want to haggle with you, but I think in most cases you can usually find a driver who will be willing to run the meter as long you keep trying. There are some locations and times of the day which can be hard though. Gangnam station after midnight is notorious for this kind of thing.
tatertot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:

The OP didn't take the taxi. He was charged, but received no service.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't risk anything over 30,000 Won. See if Visa will cancel the charge. I don't know if they will or not. That is all I would do.

It sounds like the guy is possibly a criminal and for 30,000 Won what are you going to be able to do about it? The cockroach got some money from you.

Good lesson for everyone about Taxis.
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this is theft (albeit a small amount) on the part of the taxi driver. Can't you file a police report seeing it is traceable back to him via your card? If nothing else it should deter him doing such a thing again.
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruthdes wrote:
Surely this is theft (albeit a small amount) on the part of the taxi driver. Can't you file a police report seeing it is traceable back to him via your card? If nothing else it should deter him doing such a thing again.

I'm not sure if I could trace it back to a specific driver or not. I think my bank is going to file a complaint with the company, I'm not sure though. After this happened, my friends told me that the area where that taxi was is notorious for this type of thing. I was in Hongdae near club FF. He said they never even talk to those drivers.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if the taxi driver is asking you to get in his cab than dont do it. Only take cabs you flag down. Also if you agree on a price i'd pay it once you got there. There are laws that prevent people from ripping the cabs off, but if he swipes your card and you dont find out till the next day its kind of hard to call the police on him.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the years of visiting on and off these forums, I'm surprised not one clever poster has ever thought of sitting down and writing up the TOP 10 rules of living in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: