Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hankuk University Of Foreign Studies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Nope. They are still in business, and under the old name. Confused

Only they run out of an email adress and don't pay taxes.

Quote:
Beware of Morning Calm Recruiting
It's been two months now since I sent my documents, including my original diploma, to Morning Calm Recruiting in South
Korea after a promise of a good teaching job. After my documents were received by them, the job they promised vanished
into thin air. Since then, they have offered me a few jobs that nobody in their right mind would accept and now they
won't even answer my e-mail or send back my documents. http://www.koreanesl.com/esljobs_report.php?board=teacherforum&config=4&category=2&command=body&no=15713&PHPSESSID=776876ca8862a4036709b897aa5f7bf4

Quote:
yeah i know morning calm recruiting - ESL discussion

By:david smith
Date: 11 June 2005

In Response To: anyone heard of Morning Calm Recruiting (Andrew)

They are a really terrible recruiting agency and i believe they have been blacklisted by quite a few websites. the setup is a joke and the only one who can speak english there is a pathological liar to the point that its kind of like an alternate reality, with the contract and actual situation being totally different. sorry to go on, but i had a really bad experience with them and i wouldnt wish what i went through on my worst enemy
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?page=43;read=7841

Its official: Morning Calm Recruiting : the worst recruiter in Korea.
Co-run by a woman "Helen" who also works at HUFS FLTTC, where she presumably got the idea its kinda normal to abuse foreign esl teachers.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirinal wrote:
plato's republic wrote:
Any information on the Yongin campus?

Repeating this question, as it was never answered and there's a job posting up. From what I can tell it's a legit if pretty unremarkable workplace separate from the hellhole Seoul campus. Anyone care to contradict this?

The Seoul campus definitely was a "hellhole" for me (and, as this thread attests, for many other unfortunate souls). And as unigwon hiring season has come and gone the foreign language center (flttc) has most likely found themselves yet another sucker. I truly and sincerely pity that fool. We'll soon hear him / her on this thread bewaining their decision to sign that contract. Some people - myself included - just can't be warned. They have to make their own mistakes and learn never, ever to be so stupid again. Signing with the FLTTC was the stupidest decision I've made in Korea.

As for the Yongin campus, it may or may not be as bad as the afore-mentioned hellhole. It seems that most people on here are complaining about their unfortunate treatment at the foreign language center at HUFS' Seoul location. The fact that there are comparatively fewer compaints about the Yongin branch might be in its favor.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:

As for the Yongin campus, it may or may not be as bad as the afore-mentioned hellhole. It seems that most people on here are complaining about their unfortunate treatment at the foreign language center at HUFS' Seoul location. The fact that there are comparatively fewer compaints about the Yongin branch might be in its favor.

Maybe, but I am now wary of any HUFS posting whatsoever, regardless of its location. I can't comment on departments where I haven't worked, or on branches of a university where I have never worked. But any university that is affiliated with the flttc, and allows that sleazy institution to use its name and carry on its shenanigans under its name, is unlikely to be an ethical employer regardless of the location. Again, I have only worked at the flttc in Seoul. But it was such a shockingly bad experience that the entire university name is now dirt in my eyes. I'm not saying don't apply to the job - just go in with your eyes wide open.
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that I agree. The FLTTC is a hogwan, and it has a reputation as a very (very) bad employer. The reason why this thread has over 13,400 hits is because people have been expressing their resentment at the FLTTC. Few people are complaining about other HUFS departments. The English department, for example, is unlikely to be a hogwan and might be an okay employer. Hey OP, how about changing the title of this thread to Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (FLTTC) That might clear up any confusion for those seeking information on other departments or campuses.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Not sure that I agree. The FLTTC is a hogwan, and it has a reputation as a very (very) bad employer. The reason why this thread has over 13,400 hits is because people have been expressing their resentment at the FLTTC. Few people are complaining about other HUFS departments. The English department, for example, is unlikely to be a hogwan and might be an okay employer.

So can I assume that after your experience at HUFS foreign language center, and you were looking for a new job, you applied to other HUFS positions? Hmm? How many other HUFS jobs did you apply to? I doubt very much that anyone who went through the experience of the flttc would ever work at HUFS again. Who in their right mind would ever sign a second contract with them?
teachergame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also worked at the foreign language centre.

Avoid. Bad news all around.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to bump this thread as a public service. I noticed its university (and unigwon Shocked ) hiring season. Some posters might be overly enthisiastic about getting a uni gig. Just remember that there are decent university jobs out there, as well as hogwans hiding behind the name of a university. Do your research. Do not sign any contract just because it has a university's name on the contract. Do a search on this forum. There's a huge difference between a real university job and the likes of the flttc.

Again, before you sign anything do a thorough search on the university department you've applied to.

Best of luck in your search. And remember, beware of hogwans in university clothing.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to come out in defense of the FLTTC at HUFS. No, it's not as good as a real university job, i.e. in a department teaching credit courses, but treat it as I and many others did: as a stepping stone to one of those real university jobs. While working there you'll have time to do an MA part time, good vacation, decent pay, etc. The students can be real jerks sometimes, but the way I see it, it's still better than teaching children.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Decided to bump this thread as a public service. I noticed its university (and unigwon Shocked ) hiring season. Some posters might be overly enthisiastic about getting a uni gig. Just remember that there are decent university jobs out there, as well as hogwans hiding behind the name of a university. Do your research. Do not sign any contract just because it has a university's name on the contract. Do a search on this forum. There's a huge difference between a real university job and the likes of the flttc.

Again, before you sign anything do a thorough search on the university department you've applied to.

Best of luck in your search. And remember, beware of hogwans in university clothing.

Actually real universities and 'unigwons' usually have different semester starting dates. So they would likely advertise at different times. The university proper might be advertising, but the on-campus hogwan would likely have already done their hiring.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a job on the boards here from November 13th. It appears to be for the university and it looks like they want someone qualified to be a lecturer in their own country.

I guess they don't want people from E2 countries though as the salary is about half of what you would get in your country, but then add this little gem
Quote:
In case the foreign faculty teaches less than the minimum required load, the salary payment will be deducted based on the deficiency.

Sorry kids, we can't eat this semester, the university gave all daddy's classes to a cheaper professor but if daddy gets published in an SSCI journal twice during his one year contract (ha ha), we can eat again (but just barley, no rice).
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
There's a job on the boards here from November 13th. It appears to be for the university and it looks like they want someone qualified to be a lecturer in their own country.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=54977

Quote:
I guess they don't want people from E2 countries though as the salary is about half of what you would get in your country,

If you go to the link, you'll see that you can get up to 4,792,100 won/month (presumably this is for a PhD holder with lots of experience). How many professors in your home country make the equivalent of 9.6 million won/month? The tenured, PhD holding, full time professors at my university didn't unless they had a lot of publications, conference speaking engagements, etc.

Quote:
but then add this little gem
Quote:
In case the foreign faculty teaches less than the minimum required load, the salary payment will be deducted based on the deficiency.

Okay yeah, that's shady.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cdninkorea"
Quote:
I guess they don't want people from E2 countries though as the salary is about half of what you would get in your country,

If you go to the link, you'll see that you can get up to 4,792,100 won/month (presumably this is for a PhD holder with lots of experience). How many professors in your home country make the equivalent of 9.6 million won/month? The tenured, PhD holding, full time professors at my university didn't unless they had a lot of publications, conference speaking engagements, etc.
[/quote]

A lecturer at Monash University in Australia makes between AUD$57,000 approx. KRW7.7 million/ month (Associate Lecturer A) and AUD$156200 approx. KRW 14.75 million per month (Professor). The minimum for a PhD holder is $72756 approx. KRW6.9 million per month.
Source:
http://adm.monash.edu.au/enterprise-agreements/academic-professional-2009/s1-academic-salary-rates.html

Associate lecturers do not require a PhD although usually they are working towards them.

You can see the trend of advertisements for academic jobs in Australia here : http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/education-training/university-lecturer/

I do not believe that you get paid a bonus for publishing, the expectation is publish and keep your job. Seoul is as expensive city to live in as Melbourne and Sydney.

Why do you double the salary is my final question? 4.7 m a month + all possible bonuses is 6.6 million a month.

I also doubt anyone could get 2 SSCI papers published in 12 months, one would be hard enough.

I'm just realising that when I finish my doctorate, I will be too expensive to employ in Korea, then again I'm working for half the salary now and not teaching in my field, so who knows.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
your accommodation is a (largely unfurnished) on-campus dormitory room � you get a fridge and a bed; this fine accommodation comes with paper thin walls and is located in a filthy, smelly, run-down (and incredibly noisy) part of Seoul;

True dat. I dated a woman there and crashed in her dormitory now and again. Save for a bed, fridge and table the place was indeed unfurnished. No couch, no tv, no nothing. The barest of essentials...she even had to buy her own dishes. My place was much, much nicer (and I worked at a hogwan Very Happy ) so she'd spend a lot of her time there. Even still, her utilities bill was never below 185,000 won a month, even when she wasn't there! She asked the foreign language centre to break down the expenses for her. They outright refused to do so.

Dodgy.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
Smithington wrote:
your accommodation is a (largely unfurnished) on-campus dormitory room � you get a fridge and a bed; this fine accommodation comes with paper thin walls and is located in a filthy, smelly, run-down (and incredibly noisy) part of Seoul;

True dat. I dated a woman there and crashed in her dormitory now and again. Save for a bed, fridge and table the place was indeed unfurnished. No couch, no tv, no nothing. The barest of essentials...she even had to buy her own dishes. My place was much, much nicer (and I worked at a hogwan Very Happy ) so she'd spend a lot of her time there. Even still, her utilities bill was never below 185,000 won a month, even when she wasn't there! She asked the foreign language centre to break down the expenses for her. They outright refused to do so.

Dodgy.

Dodgy indeed. But if she worked at the foreign language center I'm pretty sure her complaints about the lousy dormitory room were the least of her worries. Still, the accommodation spoke volumes about the center's attitude toward its foreign teachers.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only commenting on what I experienced. As I didn't work there I won't comment on the job itself. Did she bitch about the place? Sure, but it's up to her to post about that. I can only comment on the accommodation, which was a joke. The noise from the street made it almost impossible to sleep there. Idiot teenagers would drag race their motorcycles up and down the street all night with their muffles off. The walls were paper thin so it was like they were right there. There was even a police station next to the school, but of course they did nothing. I'd wear earplugs, keep the music on, and cover my heads with blankets but still got no sleep. Given that the teachers worked bizarre split shifts (which screwed with their sleeping patterns) they had difficulty enough sleeping. When you added the incredible noise from the street every night you can understand why she preferred to stay at my haggy apartment.

Funny thing is, at one point I wanted to break up with her but I couldn't get her to go back to her dormitory. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: