Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn on your lights when you're driving!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Turn on your lights when you're driving! Reply with quote

As the nights are drawing in now, dusk is arriving just after 5 - why wont (a large minority) of people turn on their (insert bad word) lights!?

Even when it is totally dark, I see cars and vans driving around with no lights on - why why why, dont the police pull them over and give them a ticket - 1 day of doing this + news reports and 95% of these people will turn on their lights! - oh yeah that's right, it would take a little effort from the police! Embarassed

Oh and making drivers (and their kids) wear seatbelts would be good too!

Never seen any of these on K TV....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFX9kQweHZ4
FDNY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the police are too busy protecting women from heinous attacks. Oh, wait. They don't do that either.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the 110cc deliver scooters that annoy me. 10pm, dark, and you decide to ride along the side of the road with no headlights driving the wrong way. To made it worse, they have their giant steel box sticking another foot out into the road... Rolling Eyes
byrddogs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how can you not know that you are driving your car with your lights off? Either you are fooled by your dash lights, simply don't care, or are just plain stupid.

And for the scooter thing, there is the added danger here in Shanghai of most scooters being electric (ie you can't hear them coming unless they beep the horn) and riders not running their lights. It's weird though that I feel safer here traffic-wise than I did in Seoul. Shanghai planned and built many of the roadways with seperate bike/scooter lanes away from car lanes and sidewalks. Most stay in their designated areas, but not all.
thrylos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told they think by turning off lights they save on their battery.... I can almost see the logic, warped as it is... Have I been here too long? Embarassed
newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrylos wrote:
I've been told they think by turning off lights they save on their battery.... I can almost see the logic, warped as it is... Have I been here too long? Embarassed

I heard light uses electricity. Electricity is generated by gas engine so they save on gas. Razz
decibalsrising

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
thrylos wrote:

I heard light uses electricity. Electricity is generated by gas engine so they save on gas. Razz

For all the 10wons they thing they are saving they shouldnt be bothered. Idiots putting lives at risk all to "save" a few won. Real bright, pun intended
Hugo85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either all on like a christmas tree or all off.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They honk their horns all the time to let people know they are there but they won't turn on their lights for the same reason. I think it's because one causes noise while the other doesn't.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to take breath and realize a lot of what baffles you is just cultural differences.

It's the driving culture. Drivers are expected to turn off their headlights when stopped at an intersection, so as not to blind the driver on the other-side. It's considered 'manner' to do so. However many forget to turn their lights back on when the light turns green.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it is a design fault of car manufacturers. Headlights should automatically dim when stopped and come on again corresponding to the speed.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by fustiancorduroy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
byrddogs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
As for not noticing the lights turned on in your dashboard, well, I think there is too much going on in the road to spend much time looking at your dashboard.

Hahaha...that is totally bizarre if you are driving and don't notice your dash lights aren't on. At least if your dash lights are on you have a semi-excuse for not realizing your headlights aren't with "The streets in Seoul are so well lit that you don't really notice" and all.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the driving culture. Drivers are expected to turn off their headlights when stopped at an intersection, so as not to blind the driver on the other-side. It's considered 'manner' to do so. However many forget to turn their lights back on when the light turns green.

Car head lights are placed at an angle so the beam hits the road in front of the driver. If you stopped at an intersection the distance between the cars and the angle of the lights would prevent anyone being blinded. Unless the lights are on full beam, which intensifies the beam and raises the angle, there is no reason to turn the lights off at intersections.
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
You guys need to take breath and realize a lot of what baffles you is just cultural differences.

I've experienced differently the time I drove on Jeju. Taking the coastal roads at night I sometimes used the lights at full beam because the roads were unlit but immediately turned them off when a car was approaching on the other side or I got to the car in front. Of course, a lot of Korean drivers just kept them on when they approached me on the other side and just blinded me.

I had to keep flashing my lights at them to try and get them to realize that they were acting in a dangerous manner.

Sadly, common courtesy is missing in driving here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: