Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARC expiration date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: ARC expiration date Reply with quote

Hi,

I've looked at some past posts, but am still not clear on a few things. If my contract ends on March 5 and my ARC expiration date is March 25, then:

1) After my contract expires, am I allowed to remain in Korea (without working) until March 25, even though my contract is complete?

2) If I would like to stay in Korea 20 days past my ARC expiration date (without working), can I file online for a 30-day extension?

3) Put another way, is the 30-day extension of departure added to your contract end date OR to your ARC expiration date?

4) How early and how late can I apply for the 30-day extension?

5) Will the fact that I was originally assigned a 13-month ARC period on a 12-month contract negatively effect my eligiblity for an extension?

Thank you for any clear answers.

P.S. I already understand that the extension is only granted until the date of the departing plane ticket.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ARC expiration date Reply with quote

Pablo wrote:
Hi,

I've looked at some past posts, but am still not clear on a few things. If my contract ends on March 5 and my ARC expiration date is March 25, then:

1) After my contract expires, am I allowed to remain in Korea (without working) until March 25, even though my contract is complete?

2) If I would like to stay in Korea 20 days past my ARC expiration date (without working), can I file online for a 30-day extension?

3) Put another way, is the 30-day extension of departure added to your contract end date OR to your ARC expiration date?

4) How early and how late can I apply for the 30-day extension?

5) Will the fact that I was originally assigned a 13-month ARC period on a 12-month contract negatively effect my eligiblity for an extension?

Thank you for any clear answers.

P.S. I already understand that the extension is only granted until the date of the departing plane ticket.

You can remain in Korea until your ARC expires BUT under immigration law you are required to report your change of status (unemployment) within 14 days of said change.

You can get the 30 days (tourist extension) in addition to the time on your ARC.
You can do it on-line (at least 3 days prior to your ARC expiry) or in person at your local immigration office (minimum of 24 hours prior to expiry).
You can do it any time within the last 7 days of your ARC or at the time of your change of status.

5) No.

Pablo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ttomplatz! You're the best.
Pablo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: ARC expiration date Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

You can remain in Korea until your ARC expires BUT under immigration law you are required to report your change of status (unemployment) within 14 days of said change.

Oh! Oh! Oh! What exactly does this mean? For example, if my EMPLOYER notifies immigration within 14 days that our contract has ended as originally scheduled (even though there are still a few weeks left on the ARC) then HAVE I AS THE EMPLOYEE FUFILLED MY OBLIGATIONS TO IMMIGRATION WITHOUT CONTACTING IMMIGRATION MYSELF? Or do I need to contact them separately on my own?

(Apologies for any confusion about my posts on two seemingly different threads. For a time I planned to extend the contract for one month, but plans changed in the past couple days and now I'm not extending. But I would like to stay until a few days of my ARC expiration date, which is two or three weeks after my contract end date.)

In this case, are you sure I don't need to apply for the 30-day tourist extension as long as I leave by the ARC expiration date?
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are you sure I don't need to apply for the 30-day tourist extension as long as I leave by the ARC expiration date?

NO!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That is NOT what he stated.

THIS, READ CAREFULLY:

You can do it on-line (at least 3 days prior to your ARC expiry) or in person at your local immigration office (minimum of 24 hours prior to expiry).
Pablo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird. I just phoned immigration 1345 and was put through promptly to a very nice English-speaking representative. I explained that my contract was being completed soon, but I would like to stay in Korea (without working) until near the end of my ARC expiration date, which is about 2 weeks later.

I asked:

1) Do I need to notify immigration of anything after completing the contract?

2) Do I need to apply for a 30-day tourist extension, since my contract has been completed (even though there is still sufficient time left on my ARC)?

The immigration representative said:

I don't have to do anything. (?) I don't need to contact immigration after my contract is completed. I don't need to apply for a tourist visa. I can stay without working and without doing anything else with immigration until the last day of my ARC card validity.

It sounded too convenient to be true. I reviewed the whole situation once more and politely asked if she was sure. She said she is positive.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Yes, you can stay in Korea until your ARC expires.
b) No, you are still supposed to report a material change in your status to immigration within 14 (15?) days but your regular end of contract is already on file (so they know about it already).

Enforcement of <b> is lax unless you get caught doing something else (working on the side). Effectively, in practical terms, she was correct.

miwi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that true Surprised we can stay in Korea until our ARC expires... regardless of if you leave your job?

(meaning if you quit your job 6 months before end of contract, you can stay another 6mths - or until the ARC expires?)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miwi wrote:
is that true Surprised we can stay in Korea until our ARC expires... regardless of if you leave your job?

(meaning if you quit your job 6 months before end of contract, you can stay another 6mths - or until the ARC expires?)

No.

If you change a material matter regarding your status of sojourn (quit before your contract expires) then you have 14 days to notify immigration of that fact.

Then you have the choice of changing to a D10 (with restrictions), transferring to a new sponsor (there are restrictions) or leaving Korea within 30 days of your last date of employment.

If you don't notify immigration of your change of status (loss of employment/sponsorship) then you are in violation of immigration law and that can (will) complicate future visa applications.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: