Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friend accidentally breaks string. Shop owner wants w20,000
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go steal two umbrellas from a restaurant and make good with those. All will end well for you and your friend.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Jesus christ, is this a forum for highschool kids?

So glad you're back (haven't seen you post in a while). Wink
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

Seems like it nowadays.

This 'alpha' stuff has to go.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He broke it he needs to bring in an appropriate sized string and put it on himself, tune it and walk out the door.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warmachinenkorea wrote:
He broke it he needs to bring in an appropriate sized string and put it on himself, tune it and walk out the door.

This was his plan. He said he was heading over there yesterday or the day before. I haven't heard what her reaction was, but when I was there, the woman wanted money -- 20,000 won or she was going to hold onto his coat and whine like a slapped baby (which she did until the phone came out and started recording).
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warmachinenkorea wrote:

Wrong. He should have cut the string into fourths and demanded that he only pay for the quarter piece of string that broke. After all, why should she get a whole new string when he only broke a small part of it. Plus we are talking about a whopping 1500 won here. Do you have any idea how many pieces of egg bread you can buy with that kind of money?!?!?!

If she refuses, call her a racist, throw a hissy fit while stomping your feet and threaten to hold your breath. That is being alpha.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend accidentally breaks string. Shop owner wants w20, Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Totally unreasonable.

Just about sums up life here in general some days. Others days people are very helpful. Always yin or yang here for some reason.
yfb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's two topics now where OP (or his friends) have damaged merchandise. Is this a troll?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't get the whole story. There was probably some towel-snapping as well as FIRST DATE BITES, SHE ATE BABY.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Seems like it nowadays.

This 'alpha' stuff has to go.

It is really just a few desk jockeys who cannot make their break into something better, and are blaming it on the white man. This, of course, all while the "promised land" they "escaped" to is actually responsible for judging them as lesser.

So they troll here, attacking others so that they do not have to face their own grim reality.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuttin special

Or this
flakfizer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need names for all these anecdotes. Steelrails alluded to the "towel-snapping incident." Let's call this one, "high-strung lyre." or perhaps, "Hot Air on the G String."
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my most d-bag moment since being in Korea over the weekend, and something I almost never do.
I was looking in Itaewon and found a few wall hooks I thought about buying to put in my entryway for coats and hats. They were iron with a tile knob of the end of the hook. I managed to drop one and brake it, the adjuma starting yelling at me and I was going to pay for it. I pulled out a 10,000W bill thinking that's what she said they cost (mind you, I thought they were pricy to begin with; I could find them in Home Depot for $4-5 each) But she wanted 100,000W for it. Its the first time I've laughed out loud like a #$% waygook, I put the 10,000W bill on the counter and walked out.
Feel bad about being a jerk but there's no way a cheap hook cost that much.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20,000 won is absurd for a guitar string broken while trying to tune an old guitar you were possibly interested in buying. I spent a lot of time in music shops in the US over the years, and if I was checking out a guitar and a string broke, I can't imagine anyone expecting me to replace the string, yet alone pay them money for it.

Maybe, if you were in some hillbilly street market in the boonies, then someone might try to get a rise out of you like that. Faulty product and not his fault, unless he had no idea what he was doing and was just tightening it up to the point where it is obviously going to break.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
I had my most d-bag moment since being in Korea over the weekend, and something I almost never do.
I was looking in Itaewon and found a few wall hooks I thought about buying to put in my entryway for coats and hats. They were iron with a tile knob of the end of the hook. I managed to drop one and brake it, the adjuma starting yelling at me and I was going to pay for it. I pulled out a 10,000W bill thinking that's what she said they cost (mind you, I thought they were pricy to begin with; I could find them in Home Depot for $4-5 each) But she wanted 100,000W for it. Its the first time I've laughed out loud like a #$% waygook, I put the 10,000W bill on the counter and walked out.
Feel bad about being a jerk but there's no way a cheap hook cost that much.

You cheated her! Very Happy

(The very least you could have done was to offer her a stolen umbrella.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: