Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respectful people: US vs KR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plume D'ella Plumeria wrote:
nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

It would be nice if he would just go and crawl under a bridge where he could stay untouched and unsullied by nasty filthy American women who seem to terrify him.

Zzzzz. What would you guys do without me? You guys spout endless BS, I just give voice to the truth. If you don't like it, go pound sand.
nero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Plume D'ella Plumeria wrote:
nero wrote:
This troll is annoying.

It would be nice if he would just go and crawl under a bridge where he could stay untouched and unsullied by nasty filthy American women who seem to terrify him.

Zzzzz. What would you guys do without me? You guys spout endless BS, I just give voice to the truth. If you don't like it, go pound sand.

Ew. Stop it. Your stinking slobber is getting all over my clothes.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Respectful people: US vs KR Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
US: Same story, major city, find some chick's wallet on the street, I catch up to her and say "hey lady you dropped your wallet". She gives me the classic American mean mug, raised eyebrow, maybe you are a terrorist or a rapist look (all men are presumed rapists) snatches it out of my hand, spins on her heel, and walks off without a word. No joke. Dude I don't know you from anyone, every male in existence is not trying to pick up on you, get over yourself, I'm giving you your freakin' wallet back cause you air-headed-out, I could have kicked it into a ditch or went on a spending spree. Develop some manners and basic respect, is that so hard?

US: Major city, some guy catches up to me outside a coffee shop and hands me my purse, saying "Hey, you dropped this." I gasp and say "Oh my gosh, thank you! I can't believe I did that. Thank you, thank you so much!" I give him a great big smile and pocket my wallet and head to my car while he heads back to the coffee shop, both of us boosted by the knowledge that there are nice people in the world.

There. Now we have an anecdote that directly counters yours. Feel free to offer more anecdotes of Americans being rude, and I will bring up anecdotes of Americans being nice. I've got plenty of Koreans being rude too if you want to go there, but I decided to concentrate on the one country.

That's not to say that the US is better than KR, or the other way around. I'm just trying to illustrate that anecdotal evidence can be countered and counter-countered ad nauseum, and will never prove anything. For every example of something good or bad that you can find in a given place, I'm guessing I can find an example of the opposite. That goes for statements of general experience too. You evidently have experienced (or think you have experienced) more disrespectful things happening in the US than in Korea. I have had no such experience. Do either of our experiences amount to anything beyond two personal collections of anecdotal (read: useless) evidence? Nope.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP should go open up some egg bread packets.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread isn't that great, not that most threads on Dave's are great, but there are some classics. This one is just dull.

But the denial that Korean are a polite people and that that is a good thing to live around strikes me as odd. You could always back home to NYC or whever and get flipped the bird for just walking out of your condo and breathing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: