Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, of course, different 'types' of strength. But if you're referring to sheer lifting power, then yeah, consider dropping those numbers down.

It really depends on your goals though.

Last edited by Captain Corea on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

My aim is for anywhere from 8-10 reps each set. If your aim is to gain strength would you suggest heavier at 6-8 reps maybe?

If your goal is strength, you wanna do 1-3 reps per set. If you can do 6-8 reps, add more weight. Try searching heavy weight / low rep on google and there should be tons of studies and sites explaining the science behind it.

Here's a guy who explains different rep ranges for differect effects very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDaaFVXFyU&feature=plcp
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy question - does anyone know of any 'hard core' gyms in Seoul? I mean, a place where the dumbbells go over 70lbs, and there are plates galore!

Even if it's too far for me to join, I'd kind of like to drop in on a place like that from time to time for a heavy lifting day.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Easy question - does anyone know of any 'hard core' gyms in Seoul? I mean, a place where the dumbbells go over 70lbs, and there are plates galore!

Even if it's too far for me to join, I'd kind of like to drop in on a place like that from time to time for a heavy lifting day.

I noticed that too. I was only a member of two different gyms during my time in Korea but I never saw a dumbell over 25kg.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
catman wrote:

My aim is for anywhere from 8-10 reps each set. If your aim is to gain strength would you suggest heavier at 6-8 reps maybe?

If your goal is strength, you wanna do 1-3 reps per set. If you can do 6-8 reps, add more weight. Try searching heavy weight / low rep on google and there should be tons of studies and sites explaining the science behind it.

Here's a guy who explains different rep ranges for differect effects very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDaaFVXFyU&feature=plcp

Excellent video. I watched it this afternoon and it inspired me to do some more research.

Initially I was a little confused with regards to the benefits of stength training as opposed to hypertrophy training. I do undertand it better now though. I am definitely leaning more towards hypertrophy than strength training. No real interest in powelifting.

I did find this video interesting.

High Reps or Low Reps

They suggest changing your routine every third week or so to include heavy lifting.
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah elliot hulse is awesome. I probably watched his deadlift video 3 times.

You should do your own research obviously but you might wanna add in heavy compound lifts once in while even if your goal is bodybuilding. Heavy Squats and deadlifts facilitate HGH production in your body and makes it easier to add muscle in other parts of your body.

Heavy weights also makes you look more "hard" and ripped. So mixing workouts might give you a better overall physique.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I noticed that too. I was only a member of two different gyms during my time in Korea but I never saw a dumbell over 25kg.

There are some gyms with heavy dumbbells. The heaviest I've seen was 70kg dumbells, but they were owned by one of the trainers at the gym (he was a big guy, competed on the national level in the heavy weight class). I used them for dumbbell rows. After he brought them home, I had to do with the gym's own dumbbells, the heaviest of which were 55kg (more reps, no big deal).
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Yeah elliot hulse is awesome. I probably watched his deadlift video 3 times.

You should do your own research obviously but you might wanna add in heavy compound lifts once in while even if your goal is bodybuilding. Heavy Squats and deadlifts facilitate HGH production in your body and makes it easier to add muscle in other parts of your body.

Heavy weights also makes you look more "hard" and ripped. So mixing workouts might give you a better overall physique.

I like deadlifts, the heavier the better. Same with shoulder shrugs. Not too crazy about squats, though (I prefer leg presses with as heavy as I can load up the machine...less stress on the knees, better form since your locked in the chair).
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
catman wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

There are some gyms with heavy dumbbells. The heaviest I've seen was 70kg dumbells, but they were owned by one of the trainers at the gym (he was a big guy, competed on the national level in the heavy weight class). I used them for dumbbell rows. After he brought them home, I had to do with the gym's own dumbbells, the heaviest of which were 55kg (more reps, no big deal).

my gym in gangnam has 150lb (~70kg) dumbbells for free use. it's a pretty solid gym with a lot of weight lifting equipment. much more than most standard gyms in seoul. there aren't too many ladies that go there since the clientele seems to be more men who go often which i prefer, because watching egocentric ladies strut around a gym and pathetic guys drooling over them is not what a gym is for.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind posting up which gym it is... or send via PM?
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

I like deadlifts, the heavier the better. Same with shoulder shrugs. Not too crazy about squats, though (I prefer leg presses with as heavy as I can load up the machine...less stress on the knees, better form since your locked in the chair).

Well for a performance athlete like me, squats are much better for developing strength. I don't think the stress on the knees should that much worse (if at all) if you're squatting with proper form and using full range of motion. The real benefit I can see with leg presses over squats is that there is less stress on the back but that's easy to remedy by doing front or zercher squats instead of back squats.

That being said, I'm not huge fan of doing them either. I just suck at them compared to deadlifts.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't say that the squat is any harder on the knee than a leg press. Both movements have to be done right.. with the knee aligned with the toes.

The only difference I usually see is people pushing their legs during leg press. That'd be tough to do on a squat Wink

I actually just started back into squats - always a love/hate relationship with them. lol
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Well for a performance athlete like me, squats are much better for developing strength. I don't think the stress on the knees should that much worse (if at all) if you're squatting with proper form and using full range of motion. The real benefit I can see with leg presses over squats is that there is less stress on the back but that's easy to remedy by doing front or zercher squats instead of back squats.

That being said, I'm not huge fan of doing them either. I just suck at them compared to deadlifts.

Not when you have busted knees like I do. I haven't been 25 in a long, long, time.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

Not when you have busted knees like I do. I haven't been 25 in a long, long, time.

If your knees hurt on squats but not on leg presses then you probably have bad squat form. Reduce weight and work on your form.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

If your knees hurt on squats but not on leg presses then you probably have bad squat form. Reduce weight and work on your form.

Yeah, usually I say "do what doesn't hurt", because people will know their own bodies best.

But 12ax7, maybe consider this. Fundamentally, the squat and leg press should be putting your legs through a similar range of motion. I'm NOT saying you NEED to do squats, but perhaps it'd be worth exploring why they hurt, and presses don't. Could be form, balance, stabilizers... anyways, worth considering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 8 of 51

Jump to: