Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy's Recent Popularity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
[

People were talking about Psy's youtube numbers. (1) UM stepped in with record sales stats, something completely different. (2) He then accused others of saying things they never said. I called him on it. That's it.

(3)I would ask you to please show me where I made things up, but we all know that won't happen. .



(I listed the points I'm responding here in your remarks above so you can understand this time).

1. They were used to show that if Psy is so popular in those countries it is a safe assumption that the majority of the Youtube hits are also coming from those countries...as opposed to some rabid Korean netizens. There's millions of times more people in those countries for one thing.


2. This is untrue. I accused ONE person of saying things that he did.

Quote:
Anyways, some may label me racist Rolling Eyes but when it comes to Koreans and the internet, Koreans cannot be trusted.


This was what was written and this is what I took issue with.




3. Since you asked so nicely here you are

Quote:
How else can we pretend there's this facile dichotomy going on here, with you bravely protecting the population of Korea against the evil foreigners.


I'm criticizing ONE person for making unfounded remarks for which no proof has been offered. That's radically different from what you are attempting to claim I am doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madoka



Joined: 27 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

I would ask you to please show me where I made things up, but we all know that won't happen. It's like clockwork with you guys. SR will defend something to the death (or 20 pages), although usually reasonably. Then UM will chime in with misrepresentations and irrelevant half truths. Then makoda pipes up with the personal accusations and insults.


You just made up the part in bold for example. That happened exactly one time in the four years I've been on this site. Paranoid thoughts of persecution perhaps? Or should I just add "prone to exaggeration" on my list of your characteristics?

Years ago I've tried discussing matters with you rationally. But then I learned that that is about as useful as arguing with some deranged homeless guy ranting on a street corner. It's pointless. Better to just let the homeless guy know he's an idiot and move on whenever he accosts you or tries to argue with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
SR will defend something to the death (or 20 pages), although usually reasonably.


That is patently untrue. I defend things to the pain. And often unreasonably and irrationally.

Very Happy

Thanks though Mr. BlackCat!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

I would ask you to please show me where I made things up, but we all know that won't happen. It's like clockwork with you guys. SR will defend something to the death (or 20 pages), although usually reasonably. Then UM will chime in with misrepresentations and irrelevant half truths. Then makoda pipes up with the personal accusations and insults.


You just made up the part in bold for example. That happened exactly one time in the four years I've been on this site. Paranoid thoughts of persecution perhaps? Or should I just add "prone to exaggeration" on my list of your characteristics?

Years ago I've tried discussing matters with you rationally. But then I learned that that is about as useful as arguing with some deranged homeless guy ranting on a street corner. It's pointless. Better to just let the homeless guy know he's an idiot and move on whenever he accosts you or tries to argue with you.


Yup, you never insult. By the way, I was never talking to you here so I didn't accost you or try to argue with you. Actually, I usually try to avoid you. In fact, in my few encounters with you on this site, it is you who comes into a discussion I'm having with someone else, often calling me (and others, it's not just about me and you have a reputation) names. What have you said here? One post coming after me personally, and then another one insulting me again. Who's the crazy guy on the street corner again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:
[

People were talking about Psy's youtube numbers. (1) UM stepped in with record sales stats, something completely different. (2) He then accused others of saying things they never said. I called him on it. That's it.

(3)I would ask you to please show me where I made things up, but we all know that won't happen. .



(I listed the points I'm responding here in your remarks above so you can understand this time).

1. They were used to show that if Psy is so popular in those countries it is a safe assumption that the majority of the Youtube hits are also coming from those countries...as opposed to some rabid Korean netizens. There's millions of times more people in those countries for one thing.


2. This is untrue. I accused ONE person of saying things that he did.

Quote:
Anyways, some may label me racist Rolling Eyes but when it comes to Koreans and the internet, Koreans cannot be trusted.


This was what was written and this is what I took issue with.




3. Since you asked so nicely here you are

Quote:
How else can we pretend there's this facile dichotomy going on here, with you bravely protecting the population of Korea against the evil foreigners.


I'm criticizing ONE person for making unfounded remarks for which no proof has been offered. That's radically different from what you are attempting to claim I am doing.


1. Everyone here has agree that GS is popular around the world. No one has questioned the record sales, yet you implied they did:

Quote:
Yep MUST be a conspiracy by those evil Koreans....everyone buying 10-20 copies of the song just to push it to the top....


As another person here has pointed out, Adele has similar album sales yet hasn't come close to the youtube views. Thus, album sales alone are not necessarily indicative of astronomic youtbe hits. There can be several reasons for this (as calmly and rationally put forth by Steelrails), but the point is that one has nothing to do with the other, and no one even denied the record sales in the first place.

So, to recap: First, you accused people of calling Koreans evil. No one did that (one guy said you can't trust Koreans with the internet, and while I disagree with that and find it mildly offensive, it's not the same as calling them evil...I'd consider this simple artistic license on your part, but you seem to be so adverse to exaggerations and demand accuracy).

Second, you brought up facts that were never in question. If you simply said, "Hey guys, look at all the records Psy has sold. Obviously that means that he'd get lots of youtube hits!" then that would be ok. But you didn't. You accused others of denying those facts. Which, again, no one has.

Third, you now say that these record sales facts were offered to prove that the majority of youtube hits came from those countries. But you never actually said anything like that in the text I originally quoted. SR has offered the article that lists the views per country, but those stats have been called into question (and if I'm not mistaken, they're from when the video only had 50 million views, a long time ago--both chronologically and in terms of growth).

2. I didn't quote your answer to that one person. I quoted your open statement about record sales.

3. Again, I didn't involve myself in the discussion you were having with that one person. I answered the open post you gave about record sales. You implied that anyone who questioned the youtube hits also denied the record sales. You then went on to imply that if you questioned either of these, you believed Koreans were 'evil'. Neither of these statements is true, and no one even hinted or implied that they were.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is lasting longer than his popularity. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
No one did that (one guy said you can't trust Koreans with the internet, and while I disagree with that and find it mildly offensive, it's not the same as calling them evil..



Okay, so if I said "Korean netizens" instead of Koreans would that be less offensive.

Jeeze, some people are way too sensitive!


If I said Americans have problems with prescription drugs do you think I mean every single American is a drug addict?

Or if I said during the Cold War that you couldn't trust Russian athletes with steroids, do you think I meant every single Russian athlete?


Like it or not Korean netizens have a well documented history of fudging global internet popularity contests.


It's a reputation based on past activities.



It's not racist Rolling Eyes (I can't believe nobody defended me on this one) and while it generalizes a group (which can be unfair) it's not like I'm calling them child murderers or something like that.


Are the Korean apologists here really that sensitive over the fact that Korean netizens fudge global internet popularity contests? Why would you even take the time to defend this idea with such passion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@everything:

The way you worded it the second time is much better.

"Americans have a problem with prescription drugs"

"You can't trust Americans and prescription drugs"

I'd go with the first sentence. A better sentence would be "I am skeptical of results of internet surveys that include Koreans because they have a history of being manipulated by Korean netizens." Although several people here will still have a problem with that and demand proof (while holding hands over their ears and closing their eyes to the repeated statements of proof). I thought I understood what you meant, but it should have been worded better, that's all.

What can I say, some people on this board make it a point to be offended by anything and everything that has the word "Korea" in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nero



Joined: 11 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
This thread is lasting longer than his popularity. Confused


This is the first time CC has made me lol. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
This thread is lasting longer than his popularity. Confused


This is the first time CC has made me lol. Laughing


The sad part is: I made the same joke five or six pages back...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
andrewchon



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Location: In my goshiwon cubicle. Seeking moksha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's time to start a new thread: PSY's continuing popularity.

Hits have gone over 650 mil now. Counting the parodies, covers, tributes then the hits have gone well over the Beaver's Baby.

Judging by the comments, there is a netizen's campaign to boost PSY over Beaver, but I think they are more motivated by anti-Beaver-ism than anything else. They certainly are not pro-Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deluded netizens vs naive teenage girls.

FIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
[



So, to recap: First, you accused people of calling Koreans evil. No one did that (one guy said you can't trust Koreans with the internet, and while I disagree with that and find it mildly offensive, it's not the same as calling them evil...I'd consider this simple artistic license on your part, but you seem to be so adverse to exaggerations and demand accuracy).

Second, you brought up facts that were never in question. If you simply said, "Hey guys, look at all the records Psy has sold. Obviously that means that he'd get lots of youtube hits!" then that would be ok. But you didn't. You accused others of denying those facts. Which, again, no one has.

Third, you now say that these record sales facts were offered to prove that the majority of youtube hits came from those countries. But you never actually said anything like that in the text I originally quoted. SR has offered the article that lists the views per country, but those stats have been called into question (and if I'm not mistaken, they're from when the video only had 50 million views, a long time ago--both chronologically and in terms of growth).

.



First I never accused anyone of calling Koreans evil.


Secondly I never accused anyone of denying the facts.

Thirdly since you seem to be so good at gleaning implications from my posts you should have seen that it was clearly implied.

And for the last time...WILL YOU STOP CLAIMING THAT I SAID STUFF I NEVER SAID?


Now getting back on topic...as long as people are making assumptions I think it's a pretty rational assumption that Psy is getting plenty of youtube hits in those other countries that his song is/was top of the charts in.

I don't know why this seems more unlikely than the theory about vast numbers of Koreans who apparently have nothing better to do all day but to sit in their office/home and Borg-like click Psy's Youtube video over and over again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know why this seems more unlikely than the theory about vast numbers of Koreans who apparently have nothing better to do all day but to sit in their office/home and Borg-like click Psy's Youtube video over and over again.


Because the number of youtube views is hugely out of proportion to the number of downloads people have bought. Just like with the Beiber video. Do you still not get it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:

Yep MUST be a conspiracy by those evil Koreans....everyone buying 10-20 copies of the song just to push it to the top....

Rolling Eyes


(emphasis mine)


TheUrbanMyth wrote:

First I never accused anyone of calling Koreans evil.


And for the last time...WILL YOU STOP CLAIMING THAT I SAID STUFF I NEVER SAID?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International