Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The stand up thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: The stand up thread Reply with quote

A thread for talking about stand-up comedians.

Who are the funniest out there? There was already a thread about Louie CK and I mentioned Bill Burr and Jimmy Carr. Who are your favourites?
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no matter how you go about it, you have to put Gallagher at the top.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been a Jim Gaffigan fan and of course, the legendary Bill Hicks
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Burr is good. Doug Stanhope is pretty funny too, kind of a modern burnout version of George Carlin.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Norton.

If you like Bill Burr you should listen to Opie & Anthony on SiriusXM. Regular appearances from Bill Burr, Colin Quinn, Jim Florentine, Joe DeRosa, Rich Vos, Louis CK, Amy Schumer, and other comics.

Earthquake had some good specials back in the day.
nero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Maria Bamford. She can be hit and miss, but she gets it right.. Laughing
She offers more than the standard easy targets and 'zingers' that stagnate around cheap shots.
I dislike comedians who work in the medium of 'zingers' that are only a line or two, I prefer something deeper, though I suppose it's difficult to talk about things like corruption in government or foreign policy rather than just go for the quick punches of so and so is ugly or fat.

What I love about stand-up comedy is when the comedy lets you into someone's philosophy on life, or their world-view etc.
Certain comedians *ahem* Frankie Boyle just keep spewing out acerbic lines in a non-sequacious manner and I never get any warmth from them. But someone like Sadowitz spits out acerbic material but you feel he's some kind of cripple barking at the moon and that gives him a human vulnerability against all the poo in the world pushing down on him.

My favourite comedians have horrendous world views but can still garner some level of empathy with an audience. Bill Hicks for example thought the world was going to hell in a hand-basket and constantly said so, but this brought out his fear and distrust of humanity/politicians/corporate-America and brought you closer to him.

But it's like music isn't it? All subjective.
is so delicious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Schimmel. Nobody ever seems to talk about this guy, but he kills me. Died a couple years back.

Chris Rock. Norm Macdonald. Jerry Seinfeld. Greg Giraldo. Woody Allen. Jamie Foxx, surprisingly (not sure he even does stand-up anymore).

Yeah, Jim Norton writes good jokes, but I don't really like his delivery. Has a very odd way about him.

I remember seeing Dave Attell back in New York and though I was never into that late night show he did in Comedy Central, his stand-up was pretty good.

I think a few of those sacred cows are overrated. I really don't laugh much at George Carlin, Sam Kinison... um... Bill Hicks... don't really "get" them. Louis CK is supposedly the best American comic (I'm American) these days, and... he seems like a cool guy and I respect him, but I don't roar laughing at him or anything. Also don't find Dave Chappelle very funny.

I'd love to hear some more suggestions.
falco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Connolly.

End of story.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched some Bill Burr and Robert Schimmel today. Bill Burr made me laugh more than Schimmel, but I still think Louis Ck is funnier.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Gervais and Jim Jefferies are pretty funny. I'm big fan of Gervais.
nero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Ricky Gervais and Jim Jefferies are pretty funny. I'm big fan of Gervais.

Well, although Jimmy Carr's laugh is annoying, I reckon the actual laughter is fairly genuine, as opposed to Gervais who is a black hole of desperation, a cautionary tale of almost mythic proportions, an abomination of a man, a blight, a snivelling wretched goblin who inspires revulsion and contempt, an anti-person with an empty yawning chasm of talent, with swirling black bile in the veins, a foetid and loathsome clam.*

*But I really liked 'Extras' Wink
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't laugh much at George Carlin, Sam Kinison... um... Bill Hicks... don't really "get" them.

This one hurts me, because I see those three people as such pivotal and pioneering personalities that really transformed stand up comedy. It really became something different during that period. You're underrating those guys if you're expecting a traditional joke set up "laugh" every thirty seconds, because that was not how they worked. As Hicks would say, "there are dick jokes on the way, people." But there never were.

I also think that it's important to mention that the material of guys like Standhope, Burr, and so many others, are piggybacking on the original material of Hicks, Carlin, and Kinison. Or, Proops, Rogan, and many others.

If you have a long ass commute, as I do, I'd recommend downloading some podcasts that regularly have guests who have been in this game for decades. Rogan, Marin, Mohr (say that one with hesitation), and feel free to add to that.

I'll add a couple of my favorites from the Hicks, Carlin, and Kinison. Oldies, but goodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnEpaSOFwk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

OOOmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1dyV9d_1k
Mix1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nero wrote:

Well, although Jimmy Carr's laugh is annoying, I reckon the actual laughter is fairly genuine, as opposed to Gervais who is a black hole of desperation, a cautionary tale of almost mythic proportions, an abomination of a man, a blight, a snivelling wretched goblin who inspires revulsion and contempt, an anti-person with an empty yawning chasm of talent, with swirling black bile in the veins, a foetid and loathsome clam.*

Woah there, he ain't all THAT bad. Laughing
Jimmy Carr fits that description better...clever guy and funny(ish) but kind of a one-trick pony. Basically a lot of offensive cut-downs on....everyone.

George Carlin
Bill Hicks
Bill Burr
Bill Maher (his standup is too political now, but his delivery is good)
Louis CK
Doug Stanhope
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Watched some Bill Burr and Robert Schimmel today. Bill Burr made me laugh more than Schimmel, but I still think Louis Ck is funnier.

Bill Burr is one funny dude, one of my favorites, maybe top 3 or 4. He had me in tears in his old stand up "Let it Go" especially about the part where he gets a dog from the pound. I got to share it. Fast forward to the 43 minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvvquXmslM4&lc=FTeFC0C-Z4mSvDHpq73URBZEdY-VBtS4Z4loCOMD6UA
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really got into George Carlin's stuff, or Bill Hicks either. By the time I'd heard any of their stuff most of their ideas had already penetrated the mainstream, so it never really did it for me. I'd say George Carlin and Bill Hicks were way ahead of their time, but still a little bit before mine.

I think it's pretty clear that we wouldn't have any Doug Stanhopes without those 2 guys though, they definitely laid the groundwork for that type of humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: