Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parents kill daughter for talking to a boy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Hitler just bluffed right?

Yes, but not in the way you think. Unlike Iran and North Korea he downplayed the threat he posed so that countries like Russia and Britain would step in and stop him. Iran funds terrorists, the ISI funds an exponentially higher amount, including the Taliban who are responsible for many deaths. Not to mention all the terrorist attacks in India, of which there is a far greater chance of a nuclear war than there ever would be between Iran and Israel.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something hitler something something.
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parents kill daughter for talking to a boy Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

The parents of the 16-year-old confessed to police in Kotli, a town in Pakistan-administered Kashmir, that they attacked their daughter after she had spoke to the boy outside their house, said Mohammad Jahangir, a local doctor at the hospital where she was brought.

Correction to the original story:

She wasn't killed for talking to a boy. She was killed for looking at one.

From the BBC:

"The girl's parents, Mohammad Zafar and his wife Zaheen, recounted the Oct. 29 incident from jail. The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.

"She said 'I didn't do it on purpose. I won't look again.' By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way," the girl's mother told the British broadcaster."
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Fox wrote:
What's with acid being the weapon of choice for these people anyway? I keep hearing stories about acid attacks in Muslim countries.

According to my Middle Eastern students, acid is very commonly used as a cleaning product in the household.

Perhaps, but hell, there are many things available in the house that can harm a person. The vast majority of these attacks also happen in Afghanistan and South Asia, not the Middle East.

Acid is used because it burns and scars the person. That has two "benefits": a) the victim will always have a sign of shame for the rest of her life b) no one will ever be interested in her again.
fosterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion should be Illegal, just like drugs!
it does far more harm than drugs do.

why it's legal and people are allowed to hide behind the curtain of religion just amazes me.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Parents kill daughter for talking to a boy Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
madoka wrote:

The parents of the 16-year-old confessed to police in Kotli, a town in Pakistan-administered Kashmir, that they attacked their daughter after she had spoke to the boy outside their house, said Mohammad Jahangir, a local doctor at the hospital where she was brought.

Correction to the original story:

She wasn't killed for talking to a boy. She was killed for looking at one.

From the BBC:

"The girl's parents, Mohammad Zafar and his wife Zaheen, recounted the Oct. 29 incident from jail. The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.

"She said 'I didn't do it on purpose. I won't look again.' By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way," the girl's mother told the British broadcaster."

Apparently acid is kept in the pocket for just such an occasion.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman,
The lack of religion has caused millions of deaths. Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot come to mind.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not seeing how this is the religion causing this insanity. There are plenty of places, places populated with Muslims, that the locals do not toss acid at or otherwise murder their daughters/sisters/other female relatives for a twisted concept of honor.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Religion should be Illegal, just like drugs!
it does far more harm than drugs do.

why it's legal and people are allowed to hide behind the curtain of religion just amazes me.

Religion is a drug.
It is the idiot inducing drug...people believe anything when on it.

Agreed though...it does far more harm than other drugs.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
fosterman,
The lack of religion has caused millions of deaths. Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot come to mind.

Nonsense.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
I'm still not seeing how this is the religion causing this insanity. There are plenty of places, places populated with Muslims, that the locals do not toss acid at or otherwise murder their daughters/sisters/other female relatives for a twisted concept of honor.

Hindus in India do it as well. I'd say it is more a cultural issue than a religious one.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense?

Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot were committed atheists when they murdered millions.

1. Yes, they were atheists.
2. Yes, millions were murdered because of them.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Nonsense?

Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot were committed atheists when they murdered millions.

1. Yes, they were atheists.
2. Yes, millions were murdered because of them.

Mai, Stalin and Pol Pot did not murder people in the name of atheism though.

Again, Mai, Stalin and Pol Pot did not murder people in the name of atheism though.

Therefore your argument fails.

Furthermore, there state ideologies had components similar to organized religion; i.e. xenophobia to outside groups and ideas, proselytism and a strong belief in an hierarchical structure with a male figurehead at the top (Maoism, Stanalism)
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True communism (espoused by Karl Marx) embraces atheism.
True Christianity (espoused by Jesus) accepted all people on an equal plain in coming to Him (all are sinners, all need to repent, believe in His resurrection and confess Him as Lord, etc). Therefore, true Christianity is not xenophobic.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
True communism (espoused by Karl Marx) embraces atheism.

True, but not in the way you seem to think. It's not about banning religion by legal fiat or political force, but rather, about absence of religion being a necessary qualification for man to form a Communist society. Religion is a mental obstruction to Communism, not a material one; so long as man clings to the illusions provided by religion, he cannot achieve the Communist ideal.

Any society that outlaws religion, discriminates against religion, or otherwise tries to coerce people to abandon religion is not maintaining the Communist ideal; you can force people to stop going to church, but you can't force them to shed their illusions (indeed, trying to coerce them to abandon said illusions will often cause them to double-down on them), and to the extent that Marx's actual theory of Communism cares about religion at all, it's the illusions he cares about.

Atheism is content free: it demands nothing, declares no mandates. Atheists might at times kill, but no one kills in the name of atheism, because there's nothing about atheism specifically which can motivate such an act. People like Pot Pol and Mao were motivated by a broad societal vision, not simply by an absence of belief in the divine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: