Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is beef so expensive here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

han-oo is the biggest scam this country has going on at the moment. Just wait until the next holiday and walk into Homeplus and they will have it all packaged nice in a red valvet-covered cooler blocked off with red velvet ropes with a man standing guard in a tuxedo. It's a riot and it goes for about 180,000 (but I've seen it up to 250,000). The package isn't even that big at all, too. In the US the same package would go for about 20-30 bucks at the most.
It really is laughable--literally I laugh in front of everyone standing there. Lol the damn beef is on display like the Top Show Case Prize on The Price is Right.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han-woo is overpriced, overly-fatty, 2nd-rate meat.

Koreans can have it. Give me foreign (non-Asian) meet any day of the week.
fosterman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need to remember beef, meat, vegetables , fruits etc in the USA are cheap!
very cheap compared to countries like Australia, New Zealand I don't know about Canada, but countries like NZ , OZ where they produce a lot of meat it's VERY expensive for meat. VERY.

Korean beef, HANWOO is expensive for a couple reasons.
to Koreans it's considered luxury meat. the highest quality meat on the planet! (LOL) but they market it this way. so....

Korean farmers who breed hanwoo cows grain feed their cattle.

grain feed producers import the raw materials and are effected on the price of corn from the stock market and of course the currency.
also these big grain distributors have salesman and a lot of expenses to the prices they sell the feed to the farms at are not cheap.

korean farmers have a few processes they must follow by law.

feeding stage, slaughter stage, packing stage the meat is already moved to 3 different locations before distribution. then the logistics kick in.
how many times the meat changes hand before it reaches your butcher or Emart could be 3 or 4,
then finally the local butchers or Emart will put their mark up on it.

if you want the cheapest meat then you need to visit the butchers whole sale market
at majung St.

imported beef is cheaper than local beef, but not that much cheaper.
again, stock market, currency, taxes, duties, logistics, retail.

emart or costco is not cheaper than the local butcher.
emart and costco are famous for over charging.

emart had a hanwoo sale the other day, 50% off meat, the line to get served was like the new IPHONE was being released, seriously the line was out of the building.
cj1976

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but I think Hanwoo tastes better than US beef. Still not worth the price though.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't trust the "Hanwoo" label.

http://nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20121102000685

Quote:
Supreme Court rules on origin of cattle
The nation�s top court has ruled that cattle born in other areas but raised in Hoengseong for a certain period of time can be labeled as �Hoengseong hanwoo,� officials said Friday.

Hoengseong is a rural area in Gangwon Province, about 137 kilometers east of Seoul, famous for its high-quality hanwoo beef. Hoengseong beef is recognized as a premium product, and usually fetches high prices.

Annulling a lower court�s guilty verdicts for three people, including a suspect surnamed Kim, for violating the agricultural products quality control act, the Supreme Court returned the case to the high court, asking it to reconsider its decision.

The three were charged with purchasing some 500 cattle that were born in other regions and raising them in Hoengseong for around two months before butchering them between 2006 and 2009.

They then distributed the beef as Hoengseong hanwoo.

A district court previously delivered not-guilty verdicts, saying there was no clear standard on labelling the origin of domestically raised livestock at the time the crime occurred.

However, an appellate court in February of this year delivered eight-month prison terms or suspended prison terms for the three, saying that two months of raising the cattle in Hoengseong was not enough to label the meat Hoengseong hanwoo.

�The lower court said that cattle raised in Hoengseong for less than two months are not Hoengseong hanwoo. The ruling did not properly interpret the agricultural products quality control act,�

the Supreme Court said in its ruling.

The ruling, however, only applies to cases that occurred before the Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries adopted standards on place of origin for locally raised livestock.

jvalmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think Hanwoo tastes better than US beef. Still not worth the price though.

Agreed, it does taste good. It's the marbling that makes it taste good. You guys do realize that fat makes meat taste better?

But I think most here are too young to remember the days before butchers started to chop the fat off of meat to satisfy their customers when all this 'health' craze started in the late 80's.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanwoo tastes like crap. The chicken here is good, though.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need foreign beef for foreign cooking. Cooking with Hanwoo for foreign dishes just doesn't taste right. Likewise for Korean food, Australian beef just tastes...off.
tiddles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
I'll eat Aussie grass-fed beef before I eat the grain-fed crap-shot beef from Korea or the U$A. BTW, is anyone aware of any U$A grass-fed beef that hasn't been shot with bovine growth hormones~being soild here in Korea? Thanks in advance.

Where in Korea are you buying grass-fed beef?

this. where?
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairyairy wrote:
Don't trust the "Hanwoo" label.

Thanks Jimmy Olsen, that wasn't just on the last page or anything.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiddles wrote:
cdninkorea wrote:
Harpeau wrote:
I'll eat Aussie grass-fed beef before I eat the grain-fed crap-shot beef from Korea or the U$A. BTW, is anyone aware of any U$A grass-fed beef that hasn't been shot with bovine growth hormones~being soild here in Korea? Thanks in advance.

this. where?

Going to go out on a limb and say most if not all Australian beef is grass-fed.

Quote:
In contrast to breeding systems in other parts of the world, Australian cattle are reared on pasture as the principal source of feed.

Wiki Link
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiddles wrote:
cdninkorea wrote:
Harpeau wrote:

this. where?

high street market in itaewon sells aussie grass fed beef. Not sure what the price.is but they had a bunch of prepackaged weights there this morning
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better these days than the old days when Korean pigs ate out of toilets.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

I don't eat beef, is Han-woo the name of the cow? The pork here is good, though.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

I don't eat beef, is Han-woo the name of the cow? The pork here is good, though.

The chicken isn't bad either; it isn't artificially pumped up like back home. Never seen lamb being sold here, for shame.

/threadjack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: