Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who considers themselves successful here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plus cool firms mostly don't care where you are these days as long as you get the job done.

In that case, why did you choose to be here then?
peregrinejones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a fullsize western style house on the top of a mountain ten minutes outside Seoul city center via my Porsche 911 because I make 550 trillion won a year. I drive a mere 911 because I wouldn't want a Pagani Zonda to cause my Korean friends to lose face. I do have a Pagani Zonda in my garage at my ranch in Ecuador and I have a stable of rather proletarian Lamborghinis, one a different color for each day of the week, in my own private parking garage in New York City. I live in Korea on a day to day basis because Samsung likes me a lot. I still don't feel successful because everyone who lives in Korea is a loser, all 50 million of them, me included.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that 550 trillion is 550 billion dollars, which is bigger than Korea's GDP, right?
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
You do realize that 550 trillion is 550 billion dollars, which is bigger than Korea's GDP, right?

Korea's GDP has been around the 1 trillion dollar mark for several years now. And this guy alone is making almost half of it himself. Wink
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
plus cool firms mostly don't care where you are these days as long as you get the job done.

Seoul seemed like a great city to live; modern, safe, good food, good transportation system, low cost of living, friendly people, nightlife, meh so-so weather but you can't have it all.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Korea's GDP has been around the 1 trillion dollar mark for several years now. And this guy alone is making almost half of it himself. Wink

Yeah, if you are going to say "my wang is longer than your wang" you need to at least throw out a plausible number. Cmon man!
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seoul seemed like a great city to live; modern, safe, good food, good transportation system, low cost of living, friendly people, nightlife, meh so-so weather but you can't have it all.

Korean relatives? Going back to experience the culture of the homeland, get married to a decent Korean girl, that kind of thing?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Korean relatives? Going back to experience the culture of the homeland, get married to a decent Korean girl, that kind of thing?

Hi, didn't I just answer this question? I don't know what you are talking about but I'm going to hand you one of my frequently distributed on Dave's "not so smart person awards" anyhow, because you've probably earned it. I'm not eager to "experience the culture of my homeland", no. Wink
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi, didn't I just answer this question? I don't know what you are talking about but I'm going to hand you one of my frequently distributed on Dave's "not so smart person awards" anyhow, because you've probably earned it. I'm not eager to "experience the culture of my homeland", no.

Fair enough. Just curious as the only foreigners I've come across out here who like it have been teachers on Dave's or people with a Korean connection. The people I meet who work for big companies like yourself, in my experience, tend to be the most anti Korea.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Yeah, if you are going to say "my wang is longer than your wang" you need to at least throw out a plausible number. Cmon man!

I think he chose such an outlandish number to emphasize the exaggerated nature of his story. He's quite obviously flat out lying about everything he wrote. It made me chuckle.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

I also like Seoul, but I have to question you about the low cost of living point. You make a lot of money, about 40 percent more than I make as a teacher, and that might be part of your logic. But seeing how gas is about $8 a gallon, a decent Western meal easily costs more than $20, and a proper, Western-sized apartment with a good interior, features, etc. costs at least $2,000 a month, I'm not so sure if Seoul has a low cost of living. I guess it's not too expensive compared to London, New York, and Tokyo, but compared to almost any other city, I'd say it is.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Hi, didn't I just answer this question? I don't know what you are talking about but I'm going to hand you one of my frequently distributed on Dave's "not so smart person awards" anyhow, because you've probably earned it. I'm not eager to "experience the culture of my homeland", no.

Fair enough. Just curious as the only foreigners I've come across out here who like it have been teachers on Dave's or people with a Korean connection. The people I meet who work for big companies like yourself, in my experience, tend to be the most anti Korea.

It seems like he chose to come to Korea, so he wasn't sent here more or less against his will like some company transfers are. And Seoul may not be the nicest city in the world to live in, but I'd contend that it's one of the better ones, at least if you like huge, bustling metropolises. And if you're making more than US $10,000 a month, well, it's going to be even nicer.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems like he chose to come to Korea, so he wasn't sent here more or less against his will like some company transfers are. And Seoul may not be the nicest city in the world to live in, but I'd contend that it's one of the better ones, at least if you like huge, bustling metropolises. And if you're making more than US $10,000 a month, well, it's going to be even nicer.

Don't kid yourself Fustian. You and I are both here for the money and not much else. If I could get the same job and make the same amount of money in most cities in the developed world, and I could get my wife to agree, I'd be off like a shot. You like to put a good spin on Seoul but basically your dreams of becoming a millionaire celebrity test-prep hustler could not be achieved in any other country. This guy, however, seems to be saying he works for a 'cool' company that would let him work where he wants, presumably for the same financial package, and without any connections to Korea, he chose to come here. That's the bit I find difficult to believe.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Yeah my situation isn't the same as most people's here. Both Koreans and foreigners don't seem to know what to make of me or why the hell I'm here. Colleagues too have told me I'm somewhat unique, in that I dig it here. Most "whities" work in the Tokyo or Singapore office and know almost nothing about Seoul. If I transfer I'll goto Singapore (I find the Japanese weird). But I like Seoul for now.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
I also like Seoul, but I have to question you about the low cost of living point.

I guess it's not too expensive compared to London, New York, and Tokyo.

Seoul ranks around 20th in the world's most expensive cities in which to live. In fact, Seoul is ranked more expensive than New York (33rd) or London (25th).

Tokyo, probably not surprising to most people here, ranks 1st as the most expensive city in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: