Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Anyone else install? Impressions?

I'm mired in VPN mess-up now. Installed with VPN on and now having troubles accessing the app store. What a mess.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen it, not used it, but it looks to me like a mobile OS for your desktop? No thanks.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** Edited

One thing you may not like is you basically are forced to create an account with MS and give it access to other mail accounts you have. POP don't work. You need account and password.

The metro interface is not easy to use for desktop users at this point. Will be neat for tablets and large touch monitors, but desktop use is an exercise in frustration until you begin to learn ways to make it work. Even with the downgraded Win7 environment a click or two away, it's a big (and frustrating) challenge.

Last edited by Swampfox10mm on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kimun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Windows 8 on my Macbook Pro via Parallels. At first I thought "my god this is stupid". Then a few hours later I went back to it and got more familiar with how it works. I went back to it for a third time and began to actually like how things work. It's general fresh and whenever you need to do real work just go into desktop mode. I think its generally pretty cool and this is coming from a guy that jumped ship from the Windows platform back in 2003 for Linux and OSX.

BTW Swampfox10mm not sure if this relevant but I don't think you need to worry about VPN with the app store. Out of curiosity I logged in to the Xbox Music app and it allowed me to stream music without restrictions (expected it to say this program isn't supported in your country at the moment).
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I seem to have figured out my problem. The app store is somehow tied to country/location, and I had that setting set to the USA. I changed settings in two places (can't remember which) and now I'm on the South Korean app store with hangul apps. Before I got far more apps, and they were all in English.

Before I could install new apps from the store only when I had gone online with my VPN to California. Apps I had already installed seemed, mostly, to run fine. After I logged-in with the VPN once, all seemed to work from then on (even after I left my VPN).

So there are indeed different app stores, just like Sony's PSN. And the US app store has more things like news sites, for example.

Also, you may note that if you install the free Media Center upgrade, be sure to install it over a VPN to your home country. That will download and install a whole different version of Media Center (same works in Win7) with home-area TV shows that are restricted content in Korea. The Korean version has zilch.

As I'm playing around with it more, I am also liking different aspects of it. I just have to learn which side of the 2-headed monster works best for what I'm intending to do. It literally is a 2-headed monster: Metro and the older/more familiar desktop world. I've come to like the Mail program, along with the various news apps from the USA.
kimun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When doing real work, I have to be in desktop mode, because I need multiple windows opened and not just the 70%/30% split view mode offered in metro. With that said when just reading web, searching for info, metro is fine. A breath of fresh air in that regard. Compared to OSX, metro reminds me of OSX dashboard but more developed and Windows 8 desktop mode is like OSX desktop. Swipe to switch on OSX, click charms in Windows 8.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news apps are becoming addicting. I like the larger photos and refreshing layouts.

I'll try transferring some large movie files tonight, and see if that works better. If so, it's almost worth having Windows 8 just for that! Win7 still sux at large file transfer speed.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

File transfer speed is much better. No slows or hang-ups with large movie file copies. Very happy about this! It was a big problem with Win7.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get a Windows 8 laptop (Toshiba Satellite, if it matters) to display 한글 in the non-Flash programs? Oh, I also need to know how to install the Korean keyboard. I already know how to get the browsers to display 한글 (change encoding). The computer has Windows 8 (of course) in English (US).

Thanks a million if you post detailed instructions.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at my machine to tell you exactly, but if you go into the older desktop mode, you should be able to hover mouse in the upper right. Search files for "language pack" or just look for it in the control panel (much the same as the old version, I think). You will also want to install the Korean language IME too. I think that is under keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: