Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 weeks in January - Thailand, Cambodia, AND Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: 2 weeks in January - Thailand, Cambodia, AND Vietnam Reply with quote

Planning on a 2 week trip to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam during the first two weeks in January with 2 buddies.

It'll be a Yank (me) , a S. African & a Brit on the loose in SE Asia.

Anyone else made a similar trip ??? Any 'Do's & Don't's ???

Thanks in advance.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 weeks in January - Thailand, Cambodia, AND Vietnam Reply with quote

cheezsteakwit wrote:
Planning on a 2 week trip to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam during the first two weeks in January with 2 buddies.

Thanks in advance.

3 countries in 14 days ... not even considering visa issues...

Unless you have very deep pockets and are flying all over you will spend all your time on buses and in bus stations.

2 countries - 1 week in each - makes more sense.

cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ttompatz.

That was my first inclination to just do Thailand & Cambodia , but they added Vietnam into the mix.

I'll try to talk some sense into them (unless they know of some insane airfare deals)
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2 weeks in January - Thailand, Cambodia, AND Vietnam Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
cheezsteakwit wrote:

Thanks in advance.

3 countries in 14 days ... not even considering visa issues...

Unless you have very deep pockets and are flying all over you will spend all your time on buses and in bus stations.

2 countries - 1 week in each - makes more sense.

I'm just going to second what ttompatz said. I spent almost 5 weeks taking in Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam and there is no way you could do it in 2. My experience went like this, travel day, a few days in one spot, travel day, few days in one spot, etc. I still missed a bunch of stuff. Take the time to check the place out instead of just merely getting a stamp in your passport.
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering Vietnam, Cambodia and Hong Kong in the winter break but I might strike Vietnam off the list. It's only the Angkor Watt that really draws me to that part of the world, and it occurs to me there possibly isn't that much to see in Vietnam that I couldn't get in Cambodia. Also I don't know if I can be bothered visiting three separate places in what will likely only be 2 weeks max.

I think some of the previous posters' advice is pretty good, and it applies to me too. I did three cities in Japan in the summer (in about 12 days), and even that felt like a bit too much traveling and settling into different places. The downside of moving a lot in a short time is you might end up just wanting to sit back and relax when you should really be using your time to visit places and do things
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
It's only the Angkor Watt that really draws me to that part of the world,

Make sure that you fly into Siem Riep for Angkor Wat, because the roads are hideous, unpaved unless they recently paved them which is unlikely. It will take you many many hours to get to Siem Reip from the Thai border (if that is the way you are going). Another thing too, for Cambodia bring U.S. dollars or Thai Baht. No need to change to Cambodia Reil unless you feel the need to be blatantly short changed. For this area of the world it's always a good idea to bring plenty of new crisp 5 dollar bills and some 1 dollar bills also. To pay for the visa and other things that may come up. Indonesia only takes U.S. Dollars at immigration and they have to be new otherwise the extortion begins (where have I said this before)? The only immigration and money changers that do not steal from you are amazingly Thai (and Malaysian).
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Squire wrote:
It's only the Angkor Watt that really draws me to that part of the world,

Make sure that you fly into Siem Riep for Angkor Wat, because the roads are hideous, unpaved unless they recently paved them which is unlikely. It will take you many many hours to get to Siem Reip from the Thai border (if that is the way you are going). Another thing too, for Cambodia bring U.S. dollars or Thai Baht. No need to change to Cambodia Reil unless you feel the need to be blatantly short changed. For this area of the world it's always a good idea to bring plenty of new crisp 5 dollar bills and some 1 dollar bills also. To pay for the visa and other things that may come up. Indonesia only takes U.S. Dollars at immigration and they have to be new otherwise the extortion begins (where have I said this before)? The only immigration and money changers that do not steal from you are amazingly Thai (and Malaysian).

Maybe you're confusing me with the OP here. I'll most likely just visit Cambodia for the Angkor Watt then spend a few days in Hong Kong before coming back. I'll remember to fly into Siem Riep though, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: