Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Help, I am being attacked"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: "Help, I am being attacked" Reply with quote

Quote:
'Help,' I am being attacked!

�Help, a man is forcing me to go to a hotel for sex.�

This message was picked up by the 39-year-old woman police inspector Kim Sang-hee at 2:49 a.m., June 29.

The woman in her 20s reportedly said he was going to take her to her home but headed for some kind of a hotel, the location of which she did not know.

The inspector sensed the urgency in the caller�s voice and tried to calm her down, saying that �police will be there shortly. Please be patient.�

She proceeded to track down the location of the mobile phone of the caller by using the global positioning system (GPS) and determined that she was in a hotel in Seocho-dong, southern Seoul. It took a total of three minutes and 20 seconds to arrest the culprit.

Up until the middle of October, Inspector Kim dealt with 23,475 calls of through 112 emergency calls at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency, ranking her top among the 126 staff members in charge of handling 112 reports.

It is more than double the average of 10,900 cases. She also contributed to arrest of 402 suspected sex offenders and other criminals.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/11/511_123822.html

3 minutes 20 seconds is pretty good.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of calling the emergency services (did you speak in English or korean?) and how long they took to arrive?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive called a few times for several reasons.

1. Watched an ajussi stealing equipment from a construction site.

2. Several occasions of fights on my street late at night

3. Neighbor directly beside me left home around 1am, some time later her daughter perhaps 6-8 years old apparently woke up, screaming and cried for 30 minutes looking for her mother before i finally gave in and called the cops

4, Watched a punk at the building next to mine key the heck out of a car that was parked in the spot where he usually parks his car (on the street, not an assigned parking space)

In all cases, I spoke Korean, and the cops were there within minutes, no more than 10, but usually within 5.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the police once, they came pretty quickly. The police also give me rides all the time. I ask them for directions, they say get in and take us/me. Need more women like the one in the article.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called 119 both times in Korean, squad car came in under five minutes each time. One was a serious situation, one was not as serious but still required fast response.
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are pretty impressive responses.

My most memorable moment with Korean police was when they tried to pull over my taxi driver. He had done some bone-headed move and they put on their sirens. I was surprised when the driver refused to pull over and kept going. The police car pulled up next to us and used their bullhorn to tell us to pull over. The taxi driver responded by yelling a bunch of curses and kept going. Then amazingly, the police started pleading with him to pull over, then just gave up and drove off when he refused. I was shocked at just how powerless they were.
newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

My most memorable moment with Korean police was when they tried to pull over my taxi driver. He had done some bone-headed move and they put on their sirens. I was surprised when the driver refused to pull over and kept going. The police car pulled up next to us and used their bullhorn to tell us to pull over. The taxi driver responded by yelling a bunch of curses and kept going. Then amazingly, the police started pleading with him to pull over, then just gave up and drove off when he refused. I was shocked at just how powerless they were.

LOL. Laughing Laughing Laughing
orosee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She proceeded to track down the location of the mobile phone of the caller by using the global positioning system (GPS) and determined that she was in a hotel in Seocho-dong, southern Seoul. It took a total of three minutes and 20 seconds to arrest the culprit.

I'd really like to know more about how she did that. I'm on the 17th floor of the Trade Tower and even with GPS on, my phone tracks within a radius of 30-100 meters at best from inside the building. That would mean I could be alternatively in the Intercontinental, the City Air Terminal, the COEX Mall, the COEX exhibition center, or a number of smaller buildings around the area.

Outside, standing on one side of Teheran-ro, the GPS usually locates me on the opposite site. Inside most other buildings, the phone defaults to cell tower triangulation which widens the radius to 500-1,000m. I might be sitting in the baseball stadium now.

The report doesn't mention whether the woman kept her phone connection with the police running, and I don't think that the police has a super secret access code to remotely locate every single phone in Korea. Maybe the woman just told her the building name and house number? Why did the perp let her make phone calls while taking her to the motel?

Seems to me to be a motivational story after the disaster with the Suwon caller.

My respect for Korean police would immediately rise if the Itaewon branch could move their cars from the road and release that critical stretch across the Hamilton for traffic. Congestion at this intersection would decrease significantly. They could use these cars to find and fine illegally parked cars who block other stretches of the road there, and have those idiots towed who think that pedestrian (zebra) crossings are their specially reserved parking spaces.

It doesn't look good to see 4-6 police cars parked there.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Help, I am being attacked" Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

3 minutes 20 seconds is pretty good.

Indeed, fast.

I've never had any experiences with the police here, which I think is great. Don't harass normal citizens going about their day, thank you!
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't so fast with the lady that got raped and chopped-up.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

This is story that you would never hear in America/Canada. In North America the taxi drivers tires would have been shot out and there probably would have been a huge car wreck for the tires being shot out.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
Called 119 both times in Korean, squad car came in under five minutes each time. One was a serious situation, one was not as serious but still required fast response.

119 is meant for fire or ambulance, 112 for the cops, but they do seem to share responsibilities.

I'd also add that non-korean speakers shouldnt hesitate to use these numbers in an emergency. Chances are good that the call service center has someone on hand with some english.
EZE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a phone, so I had to write a note and flag down a police car a few minutes ago to report what was either an abduction or a bizarre domestic problem involving a man strongarming a young lady down the sidewalk and into his car in front of my local E Mart.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:

119 is meant for fire or ambulance, 112 for the cops, but they do seem to share responsibilities.

I'd also add that non-korean speakers shouldnt hesitate to use these numbers in an emergency. Chances are good that the call service center has someone on hand with some english.

Yes, sorry. I've been back in Canada for a year and forgot about that. I definitely rang 112.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once when a friend visited from the States, a dude on line 6 had a seizure on the platform, his glasses cut him on the forehead when he fell. A train came, we were standing there looking at droves of Koreans that were pretty much walking over him but no one helped except the cleaning lady and two subway attendants. I called 119 and waited for the ambulance to arrive. They were there in 5 min.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: