Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My trip home from hell.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: My trip home from hell. Reply with quote

I am finally home in Australia.

It is now Tuesday and I am finally home, however I arrived in the country on Friday morning. I just got out of Hospital.

Apparently all these Bronchtis stories I posted before led to something really big.

Pneumonia. It wasnt pretty and the trip from Singapore to Australia was the worst 5 hours of my life. Plus when I finially touched down in my hometown, I couldnt breathe. The doctors thought I had SARS and instantly masked me up.

But after further tests and revealled that I had Pneumonia. If that quack doctor in Korea had only given me more Anti Biotics each time I came to him, this wouldnt have happened.

Another low point was the 220k won charge for excess baggage.

But I am back and realising how different Tasmania and Seoul is and debating what to do next with my future. Its a very confusing time.

So yeah moral of this story. GET YOURSELF CHECKED OUT WHEN YOUR SICK!
wylde

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My trip home from hell. Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:
But I am back and realising how different Tasmania and Seoul is

i'll bet you are also wondering how different it is to the rest of the world... Razz
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your bad trip. I hope that things start getting better. At least you can drown your sorrows in your posion of choice. Beer, spirits or tim tams.
t bear

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

220k excess. how much stuff did you have? Im leaving soon and have a bit to take, just decidiing whether to send beforehand or not.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t bear wrote:
220k excess. how much stuff did you have? Im leaving soon and have a bit to take, just decidiing whether to send beforehand or not.

The airlines will charge you the standard rate for excess baggage (i.e. another bag) whether or not you choose to fill it to its maximum allowable weight. If you have a lot of stuff to send start sending the things you won't need for a few months (extra winter or summer clothing, extra shoes, books etc.) by surface mail now.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
t bear wrote:

The airlines will charge you the standard rate for excess baggage (i.e. another bag) whether or not you choose to fill it to its maximum allowable weight. If you have a lot of stuff to send start sending the things you won't need for a few months (extra winter or summer clothing, extra shoes, books etc.) by surface mail now.

depends on where you go. Going to australia/new zealand you can have more than 2 bags but less than 20kgs of luggage.

If you ring up the airline and explain they will give you extra allocations.
just because

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last trip back i had 32 kilograms and got away with no charge.

Fly JAL as I've brought back and forth excess luggage with them 5 times and never been charged.
sadsac

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tassie, certainly a big change from Seoul, aside from the fact that Seoul has 10 times the population of the Apple Isle. Hope you stay healthy and enjoy the onset of winter. Have a Boags for me. Smile
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G' luck hadeshorn. Hope yr health holds up.
Harin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: reverse culture shock Reply with quote

You will probably feel like out of place in your own country for a while. It takes some time to get out of the sense of disorientation, but you will eventually. Until then, keep your chin up and think positively. Best wishes.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My trip home from hell. Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:

But after further tests and revealled that I had Pneumonia. If that quack doctor in Korea had only given me more Anti Biotics each time I came to him, this wouldnt have happened.

So you weren't in Korea to see last weeks '60 Minutes' episode on AFN where western doctors have been relying too much on antibiotics.

There are now new strains of disease that are completely unaffected by antibiotics.

Western doctors are now prescribing them LESS. Research is being done to come up with stronger ones but at a cost.

Poor kids with ear infections and common childhood ailments are now more painful and won't heal as fast with the old school thought.

Your Korean doctor was probably right.

Next time I get sick, I'll take this into consideration.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadsac wrote:
Tassie, certainly a big change from Seoul, aside from the fact that Seoul has 10 times the population of the Apple Isle. Hope you stay healthy and enjoy the onset of winter. Have a Boags for me. Smile

I know you weren't trying to be accurate or anything, but for the record
Seoul has about 30 times the population of the state of Tasmania.
That's assuming Seoul has 15 million and Tassie has 500,000
sadsac

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that they had been busy whilst I've been away. No, I wasn't looking at accuracy, just a point of difference in living situations and the adjustments one would have to make. Tassies a great place to visit. My home town is just across the water. Smile
peemil

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home... 13 days and a wake up.
peemil

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home... 13 days and a wake up.

Can't come sooner... The kid behind me at school repeats this over and over again... "Tick tock goes the clock." True. Kinda weird. Given the situation.

Good luck at home though... Bit bad about the trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: